Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

That means as much to me as "A--bop-a-loo-bop, A-lop-bam-boom!" does to many other people. 

That’s ‘cos you missed the “Clive stop reading here sign” - “The configuration is fairly standard for an NCE DCC system.”

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Marcus (http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn2/DCC.htm) emailed me last night to suggest that the symptoms sound like a cab bus problem, possibly within the command station. I'm going to call him later today to talk this through.

I've spoken to Marcus and he thinks that the problem is probably with one of the PCBs in the command station - the upper one, which has all the "smarts" for managing the DCC signals, or the lower one, which acts as the communications gateway with the cab bus. On the basis that the lower one will be simpler and quicker (= cheaper) to fix, we're going to start there, possibly the weekend after next. In the meantime, I'll do the standard check that both PCBs are seated properly.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Na, Peco templates and wallpaper backing paper.

016.JPG.cfd56adef3e6d289d1cc60f2c641df1e.JPG

Then plonk some track and locos on it to get the feel before popping down to B&Q and getting the baseboard materials.

008.JPG.ae100c96b15c33fe4c4e3a325e2044d9.JPG

It did evolve into a working layout.

23.jpg.cc6af3fb85139cef4513fac85f6da226.jpg

"Another f'ing diesel depot" says the disgruntled punter........ Only 3 scratchbuilt locos on display.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The outline of my track was sketched out freehand on graph paper. Some complex bits were detailed up in Anyrail. To test out I put decorating lining paper on the floor and transferred the design to that with Peco templates for the points and some curves made from anyrail plots. Then as with Clive I stuck a few trains on th to check how it looked. 

The shape of boards needed was drawn on the lining paper to use as a template. Then I pinned the pattern to the finished baseboards to mark out the track alignment. 

Sounds complex but really quite simple and straightforward.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The outline of my track was sketched out freehand on graph paper. Some complex bits were detailed up in Anyrail. To test out I put decorating lining paper on the floor and transferred the design to that with Peco templates for the points and some curves made from anyrail plots. Then as with Clive I stuck a few trains on th to check how it looked. 

The shape of boards needed was drawn on the lining paper to use as a template. Then I pinned the pattern to the finished baseboards to mark out the track alignment. 

Sounds complex but really quite simple and straightforward.

Hi Eric

Anyrail is great, I used it for doing Sheffield Exchange. No good if if like John you make your own points, or like Graham you twist and bend Mr Peco's.

706195411_newmaster.png.d77ab1c1d91235c2d2348a9934c27446.png

I didn't need to buy track or make baseboards, just push the trains around.

100_4644a.jpg.7477299849b442fb392f1800cb3e4d12.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Eric

Anyrail is great, I used it for doing Sheffield Exchange. No good if if like John you make your own points, or like Graham you twist and bend Mr Peco's.

706195411_newmaster.png.d77ab1c1d91235c2d2348a9934c27446.png

I didn't need to buy track or make baseboards, just push the trains around.

100_4644a.jpg.7477299849b442fb392f1800cb3e4d12.jpg

Serious question - can Anyrail do transition curves?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Hi Sainty

Yes and no.

No it will not draw them for you.

Yes you can draw your own.

I drew and made Sheff Ex with fixed radius arcs so I could fit things in.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I use tracksetta’s for transition curves.  

Laid track is fixed radius into straight...  tracksetta’s of increasing radius used to realign the curve:

8EFC6DB1-FD60-49B5-96A5-253526855C00.jpeg.0a4293fd3ae322155f4b1aba52edf60d.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

I think that Anyrail, like XtrackCad, can do Bezier curves. I use Bezier curves most of the time in XtrackCad to get smooth transitions from straight to curved track, with the advantage of being able to use the control points to get the largest minimum radius possible for the curve. In XtrackCad, as you move a control point, the effective minimum radius is continuously updated on-screen.

The downside of Bezier curves is that you need to know the location and direction of each end of the curve, which can take some trial and error in more complex cases. But this being software, doing trials and making changes is pretty quick.

Yours, Mike.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Every time I start a new layout I find it takes me a while to relearn how to use Templot, but once I have got the hang of it again its pretty rapid to get to a full plan (then a lot slower to add the find detail, make corrections to misaligned sleepers)

Capture3.JPG

Earlier in the design overlaying track over an edited compressed image of the prototype, a really helpful feature of the software.

brent15-6.JPG

The final Templot plan for Brent overlaid with the baseboard outlines.

image.jpeg

Track plan printed out and ready to start building track

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I did some more work on 8485 yesterday, even though the numberplates still haven't arrived from Ayrshire.

The couplings were easy, just screwed to the tops of the NEM pockets. The crew are still attached to the lumps of plastic into which their feet are embedded, as those can't be seen with the cab doors in place. The doors themselves were slightly challenging, as I haven't got a pair of tweezers that bend the right way to pull them into place for gluing. In the end I used a blob of Black Tack to pull them into the openings while I ran solvent round the joins. I painted the side rods with Humbrol 29, straight from the tin without stirring, and the coal is sprinkled on a layer of PVA.

I tried my best to fit the vacuum and steam pipes below the footplate but they were too fiddly for me so I gave up.

Finally, this will be the Porthmellyn Road station pilot so it carries shunting lamps, a red and a white at each end. The white lamps should both be on the main line side but I had a brain snap and fitted them opposite ways round. Never mind. Only you and I know.

Photos when the plates eventually arrive.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Can't you just turn the loco round?????

TONY

Yes and no Tony. The way it's turned out, whichever way round the loco is one end has a white light nearest the main line and the other end has a red. At least that means that I can vary which way round the loco is from time to time, although the reference picture I've seen shows it with the chimney at the down end.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The Ratio windows arrived today, so I thought I'd try another dry run.

20210301001PMsignalboxRatiowindow.JPG.2db4c44c408996dc5e6486dbb2a87b62.JPG

I think this is the best fit of the three so far. The Ratio windows are a finer moulding than the Dornaplas ones and by combining four 3x2 panes I can get a 4x4 that is just the right size.

The slightly narrow window at the end should be OK, as that end won't be seen very often unless you peer over the backscene in front of Polperran.

As always, I'll leave it be for a while before I make my final decision.

Edited by St Enodoc
Images restored
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

31 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The Ratio windows arrived today, so I thought I'd try another dry run.

679775639_20210301001PMsignalboxRatiowindow.JPG.a06bfa4cd87c76d868f6a12c188adeac.JPG

I think this is the best fit of the three so far. The Ratio windows are a finer moulding than the Dornaplas ones and by combining four 3x2 panes I can get a 4x4 that is just the right size.

The slightly narrow window at the end should be OK, as that end won't be seen very often unless you peer over the backscene in front of Polperran.

As always, I'll leave it be for a while before I make my final decision.

May I ask the dimensions of the Ratio windows please?

I'm wondering whether they are suitable for my box.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

May I ask the dimensions of the Ratio windows please?

I'm wondering whether they are suitable for my box.

Nick, they are 16mm x 9mm over the frames.

• Informative/Useful 1

Nick, they are 16mm x 9mm over the frames.

Thanks.

Is that for the narrow windows? It sounds a bit small for what I need.

The spaces I've got to fill are 16mm tall by 27mm wide which would be for a pair of windows between each of the upright posts.

IMG_20210301_2017504_rewind.jpg.b5e2b7b4d83beea1a5f8fba1c16e0c03.jpg

• Like 4