Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

I prefer neutral colours for baseboard fascias and have used a mid-grey (like grey primer) which works really well in the urban areas and storage sidings.  

Green might look better on a rural layout or section, but it’s best to wait until you’ve done the static grass or flocking and then choose a complementary but slightly knocked-back shade that blends in nicely.  

Whatever colour you choose, a toned-down shade will help.  Remember that the layout should be the dominant feature, not the fascia!  

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Remember that the layout should be the dominant feature, not the fascia!

Yes, Phil, I'm after something fairly neutral for exactly that reason.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Post-box red.

More people should go with a bright and distracting colour, then people might not see how useless their layout is.

Off to B&Q to get some bright orange paint for my train set.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

More people should go with a bright and distracting colour, then people might not see how useless their layout is.

Off to B&Q to get some bright orange paint for my train set.

G'Day Folks

Ahhh, Clive's going to start painting his coaches !!!!!!

manna

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Brown with cream a la coaching stock or.. midland lake.. like the GWR used to paint coaches... just a thought.. 

The brown would beceasy to touch up if it gets marked.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I have recently used strips of hardboard for this purpose. They had arrived as packaging for some flatpack furniture, I think. They are the usual dingy brown and that fails to distract attention from the railway they seek to protect. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 hours ago, 37Oban said:

You wouldn't want anyone nudging the boards when they use the walkway so it needs to be a colour they can see and avoid.  Something like shocking pink, electric blue or a vivid lime green!:laugh:

You know what people can be like, after a while they get a bit complacent about things and may occasionally nudge against the boards.  If this happens I suggest repainting the edges with a slow drying paint!  That'll stop them!:devil:

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

On 26/04/2021 at 18:22, The Fatadder said:

GWR dark stone for the framework, paint the walls light stone (and then get to work on sorting out the tender logos) ;)

I'm with Mr Adder, as the result would be thematic and absolve me from judging colours.  You may know that Station Colours cites Dulux colour codes for your convenience.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

48 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

You know what people can be like, after a while they get a bit complacent about things and may occasionally nudge against the boards.  If this happens I suggest repainting the edges with a slow drying paint!  That'll stop them!:devil:

Something that stays tacky would stop them completely!

Seriously, I agree with Mr Adler that station colours would be most appropriate.

Lloyd

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/04/2021 at 21:06, St Enodoc said:

Both the Railtec transfers and the Dexter's Cove signal box kit have now been shipped. Look forward to seeing them in the flesh.

The Railtec transfers arrived today and very fine they look too. If I've time, I'll fit them over the weekend.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The Railtec transfers arrived today and very fine they look too. If I've time, I'll fit them over the weekend.

I applied 8485's transfers tonight. I started with the shed plate, as there's a spare on the sheet, and followed the "alternative" method of wetting the transfer by brushing water on to it rather than immersing it (although I did that on the bench rather than on the model itself).

That went very nicely, so I moved on to the cab side plates. The Railtec ones are scale size but the printed Bachmann ones are slightly bigger, so I blacked out the edges of the Bachmann ones first with a felt-tip marker. The new plates seem to have adhered very well so I'll see how things go without varnishing over them, so as to avoid varnishing the whole cab and bunker sides.

Photos tomorrow when it's daylight and the transfers have dried thoroughly.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Last night I did some more work on Porthmellyn Road signal box. First, I re-marked all the joint lines between the roof slates, with a scriber, then made up the window and door assemblies for the operating floor.

1412911143_20210501001PMsignalboxroofandwindows.JPG.cda9b13c271b67b3809c2d4bb482b341.JPG

The roof might need more work after its first coat of paint. I will cover the dint in the middle of the ridge with a ventilator. The left-hand hip looks shinier than the rest because the light was coming from that direction.

The long window for the front of the box (which will be at the back on the layout) has gone together quite well. This, with a pillar at each end, will determine the overall length of the whole structure, with the eaves overhanging equally all round..

Working clockwise, the Down end window needs the right-hand frame beefing up a bit. A strip of styrene will do that.

The longer back window (which will face viewers and operators) is an unmodified Ratio part, while the short one is made up from two Ratio 139 windows side-by-side with another row of panes cut from a third moulding above them (i.e. at the bottom in this view. Confused? You will be!).

The Up end door and window are standard Ratio parts. I might separate these and narrow the frame next to the door to make the window symmetrical and to get a tiny bit more room for the planked area to the right.

Overall this is a good first cut, I think. This job is progressing by dribs and drabs when I find an odd hour in the evenings to work on it but I want to get the basic structure of the box built before I start on the platforms, as the way it is embedded in the Down end of the island platform is crucial to the overall set-up.

• Like 19