Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see more work on the box John. Every now and again I look at photos of Burngullow box and wonder how I'm going to make something that gives an impression of it, i.e. a Cornwall Railway box fitted with GWR windows. The windows will be the easy part - rob a kit -  but the stonework and various brick sections fill me with apprehension.

I've searched the web looking for something close to modify but to no avail. I'm determined not to 'cop out' and use a standard GW box so I think the only option will be a scratchbuild. It doesn't have to be exact but it at least needs to look like a Cornwall railway box.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 25/04/2021 at 14:04, Clive Mortimore said:

More people should go with a bright and distracting colour, then people might not see how useless their layout is.

Off to B&Q to get some bright orange paint for my train set.

Many years ago, my late Uncle Stan, who was a huge railway fan but no modeller, had a go at building an Airfix plastic kit for a 9F.

He proudly showed it to my and my dad, finished in bright orange. Dad queried the livery and Uncle Stan said that he thought that black was a bit dull and he wanted something more colourful. So he went to the model shop and bought the brightest colour he could find. Later he built some Airfix tank wagon kits and as orange as the only paint he had, they got it too.

We were polite enough not to say what was on our minds.

• Like 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Many years ago, my late Uncle Stan, who was a huge railway fan but no modeller, had a go at building an Airfix plastic kit for a 9F.

He proudly showed it to my and my dad, finished in bright orange. Dad queried the livery and Uncle Stan said that he thought that black was a bit dull and he wanted something more colourful. So he went to the model shop and bought the brightest colour he could find. Later he built some Airfix tank wagon kits and as orange as the only paint he had, they got it too.

We were polite enough not to say what was on our minds.

"The future's bright - the future's Orange!"

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5

John,

I look forward to seeing your signal box constructed. Will you be putting the interior in as well? Such tasks as these seem to fit in nicely while watching TV over an hour or so.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley 

Welsh Dragon Rail

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71151-north-welsh-coast-railway-welsh-dragon-rail/page/49/

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Anthony Ashley said:

John,

I look forward to seeing your signal box constructed. Will you be putting the interior in as well? Such tasks as these seem to fit in nicely while watching TV over an hour or so.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley 

Welsh Dragon Rail

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71151-north-welsh-coast-railway-welsh-dragon-rail/page/49/

Thanks Anthony. Yes I will, using a mixture of bits from Ratio, Wills and Springside kits. Watch this space.

They are good TV jobs but in my case I do them in the study room at the back of the house while Veronica watches TV at the front!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Good to see the Signalman will be out of the weather soon.
It's no to fun trying to signal trains in the rain. Especially if it's coming down sideways.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 07/04/2021 at 21:06, St Enodoc said:

Both the Railtec transfers and the Dexter's Cove signal box kit have now been shipped. Look forward to seeing them in the flesh.

The signal box kit arrived today and very nice it looks too. It will now stay in its box until I'm ready to build it and plonk it in place at Treloggan Junction.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Sharky said:

It's no to fun trying to signal trains in the rain. Especially if it's coming down sideways.

Gosh - Oz really is a very challenging environment, isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Gosh - Oz really is a very challenging environment, isn't it?

That's only in Melbourne. Sydney is far more equable.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

Yeah Sydney gets double the rain in half the time.... of Melbourne. 

As we say in melbourne " don't like the weather give it 5minutes it will change..."

The only place in the world we're in the morning you leave in shorts and a t shirt and at the end of the day the heating is on! Every season in one day... yes all 8 of them:swoon:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, DougN said:

Yeah Sydney gets double the rain in half the time.... of Melbourne. 

As we say in melbourne " don't like the weather give it 5minutes it will change..."

The only place in the world we're in the morning you leave in shorts and a t shirt and at the end of the day the heating is on! Every season in one day... yes all 8 of them:swoon:

Same as Cornwall, tis often Soft, and the rain is usually at least 45degrees. Wouldn't live anywhere else though. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, manna said:

Come to Boobs, hardly had any rain in the last 5 months ( few small showers)

Showers on boobs may be found easily in other parts of the Internet, so I am told. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Fascia colours...

I had a good selection of suggestions, some of which were actually quite sensible:

Dulux Urban Obsession (grey) from Paul @5BarVT

Leeds Improved Green (i.e. black) from Baz @Barry O

Mid-grey primer from Phil @Chamby

Post box red from Stu @Stubby47

Orange from Clive @Clive Mortimore

Chocolate & cream or maroon also from Baz @Barry O

Cream or stone from Rod @RodneyV

GWR Dark and Light Stone from Rich @The Fatadder, @aardvark and Lloyd @FarrMan

Shocking pink, electric blue or lime green from @37Oban

Dingy brown from Ian @Oldddudders

The backscenes will be sky blue and a complementary colour to pale blue is dark orange, otherwise known as brown, so at the moment I'm thinking along those lines. It's actually used quite frequently round here in a shade known as Mission Brown, which looks very similar to another shade that used to be identified by a six-letter word beginning with the next letter of the alphabet.

Other possibilities are Rivergum, a dark olive/sage green, or Monument, a very dark grey.

Next week I'm going to a running session on the local offshoot of the New York Central RR, where the fascias are a paler brown, not dissimilar to the natural colour of MDF, so I'll have another look at those too.

Thanks to all most of you for your suggestions - I'll mull it over for a while.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

The fascias of the Carlisle layout have been painted in "Leeds improved green" (not by me!) - and it looks like a funeral parlour now.

One thing I'm definitely not going to do is hide the legs with corrugated cardboard...

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

One thing I'm definitely not going to do is hide the legs with corrugated cardboard...

Was that to avoid viewers being distracted by their shapeliness? 

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Fascia colours...

I have to say that, in my experience, you can't beat good old black ('dark grey' in your parlance) for directing eyes away from the woodwork and towards the railway infrastructure and scenery that you really want people to be looking at.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

And 56A69ACA-5B63-4A01-B165-C561D15E0450.jpeg.16ec3a77450c77c1724ee1d4080fbee5.jpeg

i used this shade a while while ago, and found it looked quite good. At present the borders are unpainted ply, and the light shade of natural wood goes well, but I think in time I’ll get another can of the Lovat Green shade.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2