Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

All this talk of ‘70s fashion has made me think of the brief craze - would have been the punk era - for girls to dress in black plastic bin liners

Some of which were indeed very brief...

Oooh - nurse!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

All this talk of ‘70s fashion has made me think of the brief craze - would have been the punk era - for girls to dress in black plastic bin liners…

Ah The bin liners. As you can tell by hair in my avatar I wasn't adverse to a bit of pogoing at a gig. I cannot recall ever seeing a girl dressed in a bin liner. I saw the photos in the press but if it appeared in certain papers it must true.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah The bin liners. As you can tell by hair in my avatar I wasn't adverse to a bit of pogoing at a gig. I cannot recall ever seeing a girl dressed in a bin liner. I saw the photos in the press but if it appeared in certain papers it must true.

Definitely true at some University hall-of-residence discos in about 1977 - 1978.

As Max Boyce would say, I know - coz I was there...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Definitely true. My ‘cop’ was a disco at Brimpton Grange near Thame, late 70s.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

(You can tell he's missing Sherry...)

Nothing to do with Sherry/sherry but I learned that yesterday was International Whisk(e)y Day, so I indulged with a nightcap of Ailsa Bay, a very nice and very strong single malt.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

If a girl wore a bin-liner wouldn't you think she was rubbish?

Not when all that held it together was a safety pin...

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Next weekend I plan to start, and possibly finish, laying the plain track to connect them to the rest of St Enodoc. I won't go further than this, though, until I've erected enough trackbase to lay a full yard of track on both the single line and the Wheal Veronica branch.

Not even a temporary piece to allow run rounds?  (Got to find a use for those buffers stops somewhere!)

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Not even a temporary piece to allow run rounds?  (Got to find a use for those buffers stops somewhere!)

Paul.

Possibly, Paul, but I haven't got any suitable off-cuts of track at the moment. The spurs wouldn't be very long anyway and so won't add much to operations. Once a full yard of track is in place I'll be able to shunt the short clay trains without wrong-road running from Porthmellyn Road to St Enodoc - that's the imperative to get cracking with the next bits of plywood!

• Like 8

14 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Of course, you can't have a weekend away without finding something of railway interest:

Hmmm - I take inspiration from your holiday.  Ours never seem to have the time :dontknow:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Unfortunately for Paul @5BarVT, even after cutting and laying the track there were still no suitable offcuts to lay temporary spurs on the single line and the Wheal Veronica branch - sorry!

11 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The next job is to add some joists and risers and connect these sections of board to the existing ones before pressing on with the head of steel nickel-silver.

As you said earlier, it’s motivation to add track support zone,  and if that leads to room for a whole train, it has to be good!

On a separate subject, have you heard the sad news about Harold’s partner and the ongoing impact on Modratec production?

Paul.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

On a separate subject, have you heard the sad news about Harold’s partner and the ongoing impact on Modratec production?

PM sent.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Work is progressing well. Hopefully we have a visit planned here with Red Leader to get Leeds going again..

Baz

Well, I gather he's got to make a trip to Nottingham anyway, so breaking the journey in Leeds seems to make sense!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

1360000827_20210530008singlelineandWVbranchseparated.JPG.e3d87a9372c1d9e9609e912e3939a9f5.JPG

I therefore marked the track centres in ink and cut the slit between the two tracks. Here they are propped up temporarily. Although I haven't set them out to the final vertical alignment, this does show how the single line will fall while the china-clay branch rises as they curve away from St Enodoc.

Progressing very well.
What grades will both lines be built at? 1:50?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/05/2021 at 08:57, St Enodoc said:

Good progress again today.

1380154387_20210529003SEDownendinfillgapped.JPG.0c40d9e9f3c22002a4b6e61844b7e68d.JPG

First, I fitted four lengths of rail to fill the gaps between 19A, 19B and 23 points. I decided to remove the insulating fishplates that I'd fitted yesterday, as their thickness was causing a bit of unevenness where they were sitting on timbers and, in any case, with the copperclad timbers they really aren't needed anyway. I had to mess around with a couple of short rail lengths to get things right but apart from that it was quite straightforward, using a combination of Tracksettas and roller gauges to line the rails up. Then I gapped the copperclad with the slitting disc. Can you spot where I missed a bit?

Yo Sainty

Yes

The first new timber as you come right to left from the right hand point, bottom rail, about 1/4mm not cut through. Good you spotted it before painting the sleepers, otherwise it could be weeks to sort out that short.

More importantly, this here UK and and Aussie trade deal, our lovely PM has promised us tariff free Tim Tams, are they any good or are Penguins better?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Sharky said:

Progressing very well.
What grades will both lines be built at? 1:50?

The single line to Treloggan Junction will fall at about 1 in 100 while the china-clay branch will climb at about 1 in 50.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Sainty

Yes

The first new timber as you come right to left from the right hand point, bottom rail, about 1/4mm not cut through. Good you spotted it before painting the sleepers, otherwise it could be weeks to sort out that short.

More importantly, this here UK and and Aussie trade deal, our lovely PM has promised us tariff free Tim Tams, are they any good or are Penguins better?

Close but no cigar. Looking at the upper-right point, the second long timber and first sleeper needed to be gapped within the vee to prevent a permanent short between the second and third rails from the top.

Tim Tams are good. There are plenty of different flavours, assuming you import them all. Having said that, we can now get standard, orange and mint flavour Penguins here. I do like the mint ones.

Which reminds me that it is many a long year since I ate a mint and plain chocolate Jacobs Club biscuit...

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2