Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Sainty

Chop out the plastic coal, fill the bunker with lead and top with real coal.

Thanks Clive. I wondered whether there was another way.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I was working from home today, so at lunchtime I popped out to the railway room and did an experiment.

I marshalled 15 china-clay wagons and a brake van and tried to propel them up the curved gradient from St Enodoc towards Wheal Veronica. 1664 (Nu-Cast) had no trouble but 7446 (Bachmann) did. It managed to get the whole train on to the incline but no further. Even a reduced load of 12 wagons plus the brake van was too much so clearly Something Must Be Done.

7446 weighed just over 200g. There isn't much room for extra weight but tonight I've squeezed some lead into the front of the boiler between the lower casting and the decoder, which has brought the weight up to about 225g.

If anyone knows how to get into the bunker there might be some scope there too - there are three screws underneath but removing them doesn't seem to make any difference.

I should have time to try again tomorrow.

Phew!

Between breakfast and starting work, I went out to the railway room for half-an-hour and found that, with the extra weight, 7446 will push 12+BV without slipping (13+BV with some slipping but no more) up the incline as far as the end of the track so far. On the basis of that I'll leave the bunker as it is (it already has real coal glued on top of the plastic stuff) and press on with tracklaying at the weekend.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Bullfrog snot or evil stick on one tyre? It has worked in the past.....

As we is both ingeneeers we should be able to come up with an elegant solution at very, very low cost...

Looks like we need to go for a curry and beer!

Baz

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

As we is both ingeneeers we should be able to come up with an elegant solution at very, very low cost...

Looks like we need to go for a curry and beer!

Baz

Yes, as we and others know, it was done to get the Edinburgh/Glasgow push-pull set up the bank from Dewsbury Midland to Leeds Victoria (if you don't know, don't ask).

However, in this case the simple (and elegant) solution of a bit more weight has worked, so I'll stop while I'm ahead.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, as we and others know, it was done to get the Edinburgh/Glasgow push-pull set up the bank from

So that’s how they got them out of Queen St. :-)

Is that why they were all ‘loco leading’, so that the sticky bit was at the front?

Paul.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, 5BarVT said:

So that’s how they got them out of Queen St. :-)

Is that why they were all ‘loco leading’, so that the sticky bit was at the front?

Paul.

Serious head on.

It was because the DBSOs only had fixed increments on the traction power control, as the regulating air pressure was determined by combinations of EP valves on the loco selected via the TDM system. The 47/7s, on the other hand, had infinitely-variable regulating air pressure through the power controller. Consequently, the decision was taken to run with the loco at the Edinburgh end to provide finer control and minimise wheelslip up Cowlairs bank.

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Serious head on.

It was because the DBSOs only had fixed increments on the traction power control, as the regulating air pressure was determined by combinations of EP valves on the loco selected via the TDM system. The 47/7s, on the other hand, had infinitely-variable regulating air pressure through the power controller. Consequently, the decision was taken to run with the loco at the Edinburgh end to provide finer control and minimise wheelslip up Cowlairs bank.

That sounds like a complicated solution when traction tyres would have worked.

• Funny 11

Hi John, Just having a bit of a catch up. You are certainly cracking on the layout is really coming together and looking good too. 

I have a heap of Darrell Taylors kit built wagons that I am selling if you need anything. 

Cheers Peter.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks.

I knew that a push pull set that went from Edinburgh to Aberdeen couldn’t be put on a Glasgow diagram as the engine would be on the buffers when it got there.  Now I know why.

Paul.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It was because the DBSOs only had fixed increments on the traction power control, as the regulating air pressure was determined by combinations of EP valves on the loco selected via the TDM system. The 47/7s, on the other hand, had infinitely-variable regulating air pressure through the power controller. 

This sounds like witchcraft and sorcery to me!

Does the LMS have a problem with Mr Stanier's pacifics?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

This sounds like witchcraft and sorcery to me!

Does the LMS have a problem with Mr Stanier's pacifics?

To the best of my knowledge, they don't/didn't propel 6-coach passenger trains at 95 mph.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I laid a bit more track today, namely the last couple of feet of the Wheal Veronica branch and the point.

1640928235_20210625001WVtracklayingstarted.thumb.JPG.a5032b406802c67c2b5e2b2d7e2b9d4a.JPG

The point is buried under the weights at the moment. Tomorrow I should be able to finish laying the two sidings.

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Wait and see...

I just have visions of an Anthony Ashley style mountain...

or this...

image.png.c886496011206baf07badb131b58f525.png

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I just have visions of an Anthony Ashley style mountain...

or this...

image.png.c886496011206baf07badb131b58f525.png

Yes, either one of those with a Cornish engine house on top...

or even better, a “White Mountain” china clay spoil heap with rope-worked tippler wagons taking the spoil to the top.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1