Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And some vehicles inevitably would have had a different number on the other side ;) 

Some of mine did - intentionally - on a previous layout that featured reverse loops. Warship D816 Eclipse/D823 Hermes was one. Some of the coaches were different colours on each side, too.

• Like 10

20 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Some of mine did - intentionally - on a previous layout that featured reverse loops. Warship D816 Eclipse/D823 Hermes was one. Some of the coaches were different colours on each side, too

If I understood correctly, a Scottish friend has been known to have plain plasticard on the back side of wagons - thereby allowing two to be built from one kit.

Canny.

• Like 5
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, aardvark said:

If I understood correctly, a Scottish friend has been known to have plain plasticard on the back side of wagons - thereby allowing two to be built from one kit.

Canny.

But they would have to buy a second kit anyway, to model both the wagon ends that are still visible... and what about the underframe and wheel sets?  It sounds much more trouble than it’s worth.

I’m not convinced on that one.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Nicktoix said:

Sensible to limit current to uncouplers. This is what happens when your push button sticks, you don't notice and wander off into the garden.1627547928266.jpg.c14a984f2c3e1dfa96d64b2498454e36.jpg

Nick

When the Rev. Peter Denny built early versions of Buckingham, he used home wound solenoid coils to work his signals.

There are still some fairly large, maybe 6 inch diameter patches of charred areas of baseboard under Grandborough Junction, with what look like the remains of a cardboard or wooden mounting in the centre. The layout was, at one time, equipped with a fire extinguisher mounted on one of the legs.

All the signals are now operated by mechanical methods (cord and a return spring) so hopefully the fire risk is no longer an issue, although the block bells still have the home wound coils to make the bells work.

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nicktoix said:

Sensible to limit current to uncouplers. This is what happens when your push button sticks, you don't notice and wander off into the garden.1627547928266.jpg.c14a984f2c3e1dfa96d64b2498454e36.jpg

Nick

Thanks Nick. I've stopped using push-buttons for uncouplers, mainly because of that. I now use biased off-(on) toggle switches and also freewheel diodes across the coils.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 27/07/2021 at 12:25, Michael Edge said:

Don't worry about the P number, as far as I know they were assigned more or less at random after nationalisation.

They certainly are on my layout. If anyone walks up and can prove I'm wrong I'll probably buy them a pint and award them a Sad B*stard of the Year badge.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Well it's taken a couple of weeks, but that was an informative, amusing and enlightening meander through 205 pages :)

A fantastic layout and I'm looking forward to watching it develop further.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

It must be good to see all your plans now starting to take shape in reality.

Yes it is, Stu. Although the double track main line is fun, the really interesting part of the layout to operate will be the branch. I'm looking forward to that very much.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, magpac said:

Well it's taken a couple of weeks, but that was an informative, amusing and enlightening meander through 205 pages :)

A fantastic layout and I'm looking forward to watching it develop further.

Thanks, and thanks for all the 'likes' you've been dropping in along the way.

Informative, amusing and enlightening is encouraging - that's just the way I like my railway modelling.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 10/04/2020 at 11:13, St Enodoc said:

Then I took the van out to the railway to check that it would run, before applying the transfers. Some of you might be getting ahead of me here...

Well, this is a 70 ft van with 12-wheeled bogies. The bogie wheelbase is 48mm and the bogie pivot centres are 193mm. So...

...on 30" radius curves, the outermost wheels foul the insides of the solebars.

One comment that did make me laugh out loud (from April last year, so I feel a bit 'delayed' bringing it up) was the above:

12WheelBogies.png.70a7b490dd542ef6068c2cedb301ed3b.png

I was thinking "Well, what else would you expect!!" :P

That's a nice looking coach, BTW.

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, magpac said:

One comment that did make me laugh out loud (from April last year, so I feel a bit 'delayed' bringing it up) was the above:

12WheelBogies.png.70a7b490dd542ef6068c2cedb301ed3b.png

I was thinking "Well, what else would you expect!!" :P

That's a nice looking coach, BTW.

Well, well - I don't think anyone else spotted that - including me!

Yes, it is a nice looking coach. I have no idea who built it originally but they knew what they were about. The very few odd distortions and misalignments are, I suspect, a result of old age (the model's, not mine).

Thanks.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

A question, for those in the know - are Cobalts supposed to make such a loud humming noise at the end of the throw? I know they are a stall-motor device, but the noise is quite a bit louder than I thought it would be and I fear for the longevity of the motor.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

A question, for those in the know - are Cobalts supposed to make such a loud humming noise at the end of the throw? I know they are a stall-motor device, but the noise is quite a bit louder than I thought it would be and I fear for the longevity of the motor.

Never heard that from mine… 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Hi Stu

In my experience some are noisy & some aren't......

I've not used many but a couple have been very noisy while some are as quiet as Tortoise motors......

The noisy ones  have lasted as long as the quiet ones so the noise has not yet affected the life of the motor yet.....

I personally prefer Tortoise motors as I've had less issues with them....& I generally find them quieter......

All the tortoise motors I've used....Probably about 50 on various layouts....Have been second hand & so far I have had one that clicks & one with a faulty internal switch....

I started using brand new Cobalts with mixed success & have thus reverted to Tortoises.....

I know some swear by them as being the Bees Knees .....I also swore but at some of them....

The three second hand Cobalt's I bought all ended up burnt out....I never found out why even though they were wired up correctly.......

As I say.....Some people love them.......I personally don't.....Just my experience & I am sure others have the opposite experience to me.....

Cheers Bill

Edited by treggyman
To add sentence
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Sorry to have been brief in my first reply - I was being urged that it was time to go out… I haven’t any humming noises as you suggest. Most of mine are fairly noisy but in a satisfying mechanical way. In fact a railwayman friend suggested they were like the real thing in that respect!   

Reliability has been good so far once the adjustment has been secured. It’s a shame there isn’t better provision for this. I’ve resorted to glue, tiny self tappers, even a cable tie - horrible bodges!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I suggest that you try a different power supply. I once installed some Cobalts on a layout and they were buzzing slightly and it turned out to be that the power supply was not a very smooth DC. Also, it is worth checking the output of your supply with a voltmeter. Some give out quite a bit more than you might expect under a low loading. We checked a unit the other day (an old H & M Clipper) as we wanted a 12v DC supply and with a small load on the output the voltage was 19v. That was on the track output. Too many unsmooth volts going into Cobalts isn't a good idea and a smooth regulated supply is better.

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

No.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, treggyman said:

Hi Stu

In my experience some are noisy & some aren't......

I've not used many but a couple have been very noisy while some are as quiet as Tortoise motors......

The noisy ones  have lasted as long as the quiet ones so the noise has not yet affected the life of the motor yet.....

I personally prefer Tortoise motors as I've had less issues with them....& I generally find them quieter......

All the tortoise motors I've used....Probably about 50 on various layouts....Have been second hand & so far I have had one that clicks & one with a faulty internal switch....

I started using brand new Cobalts with mixed success & have thus reverted to Tortoises.....

I know some swear by them as being the Bees Knees .....I also swore but at some of them....

The three second hand Cobalt's I bought all ended up burnt out....I never found out why even though they were wired up correctly.......

As I say.....Some people love them.......I personally don't.....Just my experience & I am sure others have the opposite experience to me.....

Cheers Bill

5 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Sorry to have been brief in my first reply - I was being urged that it was time to go out… I haven’t any humming noises as you suggest. Most of mine are fairly noisy but in a satisfying mechanical way. In fact a railwayman friend suggested they were like the real thing in that respect!   

Reliability has been good so far once the adjustment has been secured. It’s a shame there isn’t better provision for this. I’ve resorted to glue, tiny self tappers, even a cable tie - horrible bodges!

In my experience you can hear them whirring away quite loudly when in operation but once they have thrown completely they are silent.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1