Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Would it have a bit of white on it from the china clay ?

Baz

I don't think so, Baz. This represents a wagon that brought in coal for the kiln, so it probably wouldn't have got coated in clay like the others. Whether or not that's true, I think the contrast will look nice anyway.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

This morning I had my annual MOT with my cardiologist. As usual, he said he wants to see me again next year, from which I take comfort that he expects me to survive for at least another 12 months.

Buoyed by that, I laid the temporary track into Polperran this afternoon.

772154128_20210806001TLtemporarytracklookingDown.JPG.e8aac89da39cb45cff2498b8a1ea2329.JPG

I made a mistake on Monday. I should have left the last few inches of track that I laid then floating, so that I could align it properly with the new track. You can't see from this picture, but looking along the track shows that it's not quite right, so I'll relay the 12000mm curve beyond Indian Queens Halt when I fix the rest down permanently.

598547545_20210806004PPtemporarytracklookingUp.JPG.4c6d19e94d07f392fb852b8c815b5b46.JPG

I carried on round to Polperran road 6. In the bottom-right corner you can just see the step in the cork and the change from SMP to Peco code 75. I laid the Peco track all the way to the buffer stop. Behind the track is a temporary derailment fence, just resting on the joists.

Next I did some testing (yes, seriously). I wanted to check how long a train would fit into Polperran headshunt, which is to within a millimetre or two the same length as road 6. The answer is a 2-8-0T, 14 china-clay wagons and a brake van. I therefore decided to do a load test, to make sure that both 42xx locos could pull the train up to Porthmellyn Road, including a standing start on the curved incline. This test was successful (in fact I did the load test with 15 wagons, to be sure, to be sure) so I will need to get some more Parkside kits to extend the Long Clay train.

1365841125_202108060074247onDownchina-clayemptiespassingWV.JPG.93f98cd531cf231a3418c836594394fb.JPG

Then, as Clive @Clive Mortimore will be pleased to hear, it was time for some real FUN! I ran the long china-clay train all the way from St Enodoc to Polperran and back, with a few photo stops along the way. Here are the Down empties passing Wheal Veronica (where you can see the coal wagon and also an extra china-clay wagon, making 6) as it approaches Indian Queens Halt.

826666480_202108060094247onDownchina-clayemptiesapproachingPP.JPG.6747d16f3042d493cc4f566cf8fdfd86.JPG

The train has slowed for the curve round the Loop at Treloggan Junction and is now approaching Polperran. The first wagon is just about where the centre of the Barry slip will be.

603895843_202108060114247onUpchina-clayfullsatPP.JPG.188fc239d92df563e369013ff8bd34a5.JPG

I remarshalled the train, turning the loco round so that the (fixed) Class K lamp is still at the front. The toe of the Barry slip, which defines the maximum train length, is about halfway along the piece of masking tape to the loco's left.

555960626_202108060124247onUpchina-clayfullsatTLLoop.JPG.f026f175268f1eb8ec1039864cc5f268.JPG

The loco is just approaching the start of the gradient as it leaves Treloggan Junction Loop.

1693174547_202108060134247onUpchina-clayfullspassingIQ.JPG.c23a7a94c7876275b0d27cae70d120a1.JPG

The Up fulls are now all on the 1 in 100 as they pass Indian Queens Halt...

1745596965_202108060144247onUpchina-clayfullsapproachingSE.JPG.a2099e7443a72b8ba1d1a9c2ab24d667.JPG

...and are now approaching the end of the climb at St Enodoc.

That was a very enjoyable and satisfying session, particularly as a) everything ran very smoothly and b) I know know that I can run a 14-wagon train between "Tregissey" (Paddington) and "St Dennis Junction" (Polperran).

Not sure what tomorrow will bring - possibly some electrical work at Wheal Veronica and on the new track. Watch this space.

Hi John

It looks very good and I am pleased you had some fun running a train along the new branch. Well done.

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Perhaps I could buy the china clay open, build it, number it then weather it to match the others? Let me know please/

Baz

Thanks Baz. I'll be in touch by email.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I didn't have enough thick cable for this so I used 16/0.2mm, which I think will be good enough for the current involved (approx 0.5A).

7/0.20mm is rated max 1A, 16/0.20mm is good for 3A so no worries there.  Volts drop is likely to be more of an issue for a long run so 16/0.20mm will help with that.

Paul.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

7/0.20mm is rated max 1A, 16/0.20mm is good for 3A so no worries there.  Volts drop is likely to be more of an issue for a long run so 16/0.20mm will help with that.

Paul.

Thanks Paul. It's about a 20ft run but the voltage regulator at the end will work even if the input voltage drops a bit.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Seems logical to me - surely the critical job is to get the track down and fully tested in everyday operation before mucking about with mucky stuff like scenery?

Indeed. I see beautiful layouts on RMweb where the scenery and structures are to die for - but the operational scope and hence interest is decidedly limited. Those builders know what they want from our hobby, but their priorities are not mine. Make it work, run a timetable, then worry about scenics. St E has a mega system under construction. If the scenery is a little late, his operations crews may never notice. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Seems logical to me - surely the critical job is to get the track down and fully tested in everyday operation before mucking about with mucky stuff like scenery?

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Indeed. I see beautiful layouts on RMweb where the scenery and structures are to die for - but the operational scope and hence interest is decidedly limited. Those builders know what they want from our hobby, but their priorities are not mine. Make it work, run a timetable, then worry about scenics. St E has a mega system under construction. If the scenery is a little late, his operations crews may never notice. 

I was only joking Mister! :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Thanks Stu. Nice photos to give some colour context.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

The photo with the shunter sandwiched in between two rakes of clay hoods gives an indication of the shunting process used at the Wenford dries.  Probably a different situation though compared to what you have at Wheal Veronica, re: gradients?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Glad that you can get 2 by 1 and Ply in Oz. Trying to find it here is a bit like finding rocking horse droppings!

Trackbed is really coming along... by the time we can visit Oz again it should be all up and running! (no pressure there then!)

Baz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Chamby said:

The photo with the shunter sandwiched in between two rakes of clay hoods gives an indication of the shunting process used at the Wenford dries.  Probably a different situation though compared to what you have at Wheal Veronica, re: gradients?

That's right Phil. The line rose steadily from Dunmere Junction and the track layouts at Wenford and Wenford Bridge were more complex than at Carbis (Wheal Veronica), with loops and more sidings.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Barry O said:

Glad that you can get 2 by 1 and Ply in Oz. Trying to find it here is a bit like finding rocking horse droppings!

Trackbed is really coming along... by the time we can visit Oz again it should be all up and running! (no pressure there then!)

Baz

It's available but I can't go and get it until lockdown eases. I could order it online but when I buy wood I like to see what I'm getting first.

It's not a problem - there are plenty of other things to get on with.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7