Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

My only problem with it is that it is on the other side of the planet, otherwise my pestering to be allowed to come and "play trains" would be never ending!

Imagine my utter delight to find that Buckingham was on my doorstep, just wish I'd known many years earlier and I'd had the nerve to ask to join the operating team.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Imagine my utter delight to find that Buckingham was on my doorstep, just wish I'd known many years earlier and I'd had the nerve to ask to join the operating team.

I have similar regrets about a couple of layouts that I had been invited to see but never got around to organising until it was too late. Castle Rackrent was one. Another superb example of a layout where the trains work along a line from one station to the next, working traffic back and forth in a proper railway like way.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Well said that man! This would be my sort of dream layout although I don't have the drive, ambition, space or resources to ever create anything like it. In some respects, it is rather like Buckingham on a rather grander scale, with more places for trains to come from and go to.

The are many things that "make" a good layout. Different people have different priorities. To me, the notion of whether I would enjoy operating it for long periods without getting bored is pretty high up the list and the Mid Cornwall lines certainly ticks that box.

My only problem with it is that it is on the other side of the planet, otherwise my pestering to be allowed to come and "play trains" would be never ending!

Yes - regrettably I very much doubt I'll get any more consultancy work out in NSW although a man I know 'in the business' out there still has my name on his list of 'experts'.

Years ago I was invited to visit a layout at Woodley near Reading that was situated ina very large garage plus an adjacent room and it was very much in the 'system' style complete with block signalling between stations etc - essential for trains running though the wall.  it needed about 8 people to run the full service and apart from railway buildings scenery was largely at a very simplified level but it was great fun.

Nowadays my occasional enjoyment of that sort of thing is on a rather larger scale railway  - occasionally at this one where my son is a regular Signalman -

http://www.cockcrow.co.uk

Or also very occasionally here  -  http://www.spinneylightrailway.co.uk.     (where a photo in one of the archive news items rather unflatteringly reveals my presence) 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Well said that man! This would be my sort of dream layout although I don't have the drive, ambition, space or resources to ever create anything like it. In some respects, it is rather like Buckingham on a rather grander scale, with more places for trains to come from and go to.

The are many things that "make" a good layout. Different people have different priorities. To me, the notion of whether I would enjoy operating it for long periods without getting bored is pretty high up the list and the Mid Cornwall lines certainly ticks that box.

Thanks Tony. The way things are at the moment, it might as well be on the dark side of the moon. Since @Barry O was here in January 2020, we've only managed to hold two out of a possible nine full running sessions, with the next one (next weekend) definitely cancelled and the November one looking dodgy too.

Anyway, you and anyone else who enjoys operating as distinct from just running trains would be most welcome at any time should you visit these shores.

PS - I'd like to (join the queue to) come and operate Buckingham one day too, please!

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Castle Rackrent was one.

Castle Rackrent was a great layout to operate, not least for the amount of fun that was had by the team. I knew Richard through work, and I was part of the famous weekend in (I think) 1981 when he hired a hall in Edinburgh and set the entire (at the time) layout up for a whole weekend's operation.

Sadly, I never had the chance to operate it at Philpstoun. Richard died just three months before my last visit to Scotland.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Well, I think (hope) I've fixed the collision problem. Instead of set 506 being berthed in Penzance road 3 Left (PZ 3 L) I'll move it to PZ 4 Middle. There should be enough room in PZ 4 for set 531 (3 coaches, on the left), 506 (4 coaches, in the middle) and sets 718/719 (6 coaches, on the right).

I'll check that out tomorrow.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/09/2021 at 11:26, The Stationmaster said:

If anybody ever asks for a definition of 'a model railway'  this comes at the top of my British outline list for one very simple reason.  Trains come from somewhere and go to somewhere else and, very importantly, that includes logically spaced intermediate locations all within the one railway room.  In other words it is a model of a railway which works like a real railway rather than a model of a place (of which a number of superb examples can be seen on RMweb).  

It is I suppose in some respects a translation of the US idea of a railway connecting different visible places into a carefully crafted idea for a British setting.   Brilliant idea cleverly executed.

Agreed - as someone who grew up enthralled by the US basement empires in Model Railroader magazine, following the development of a British Outline (WR) system layout is fantastic.

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I imagine there’d be quite a queue!  Another idea from the US is used to be that of having a tour of layouts in a certain area based on an the ‘open house’ model.  Doesn’t help those of us thousands of miles away, and does assume / require an understanding on the part of hosts and visitors how to make it work for everyone, but one way of showing off such layouts.

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Yes - regrettably I very much doubt I'll get any more consultancy work out in NSW although a man I know 'in the business' out there still has my name on his list of 'experts'.

Years ago I was invited to visit a layout at Woodley near Reading that was situated ina very large garage plus an adjacent room and it was very much in the 'system' style complete with block signalling between stations etc - essential for trains running though the wall.  it needed about 8 people to run the full service and apart from railway buildings scenery was largely at a very simplified level but it was great fun.

Nowadays my occasional enjoyment of that sort of thing is on a rather larger scale railway  - occasionally at this one where my son is a regular Signalman -

http://www.cockcrow.co.uk

Or also very occasionally here  -  http://www.spinneylightrailway.co.uk.     (where a photo in one of the archive news items rather unflatteringly reveals my presence) 

As someone based nearer the other end of the country (let alone across the planet) these are two railways I’d never heard of - but I can see the interest!  Very nice, Keith.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I was at the open weekend in Edinburgh that St Enodoc has mentioned as my good lady and myself stayed at his parents home. A fascinating layout to see in all its Castle Rackrent, Moygraney,  and Pacific Railway mode.

I got to know John Pomeroy who had built his LNER layout "Winton" into a railway room.. this was worked to a timetable and was fascinating to "drive".

Baz

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Tony. The way things are at the moment, it might as well be on the dark side of the moon. Since @Barry O was here in January 2020, we've only managed to hold two out of a possible nine full running sessions, with the next one (next weekend) definitely cancelled and the November one looking dodgy too.

Anyway, you and anyone else who enjoys operating as distinct from just running trains would be most welcome at any time should you visit these shores.

PS - I'd like to (join the queue to) come and operate Buckingham one day too, please!

The last time I went abroad (apart from a French school exchange visit in the 1970s) was when my late dad got posted to RAF Muharraq in the 1960s. So I have to say that the chances of me getting that adventurous are slim.

One of my greatest model railway memories was the time, just a couple of years before he died, to visit Peter Denny and operate Buckingham with him. I had followed Buckingham and considered that it was probably the biggest single influence in my modelling activities (Great Central Railway in EM!).

Peter was always very welcoming of people who wanted to come and see his layout and he genuinely seemed a bit puzzled as to why so many people still wanted to see his, by then rather old, layout. It was lovely to be able to tell him directly just how much people thought of it and what he had achieved.

When I took it over, one of the things I said to his family was that I would always welcome interested visitors too. So if you, or any of the others  contributing to the thread are anywhere near this part of the world (South Yorkshire, nearest big place Doncaster) please feel that you can get in touch and you would be made most welcome.

Tony

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

25 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I was at the open weekend in Edinburgh that St Enodoc has mentioned as my good lady and myself stayed at his parents home. A fascinating layout to see in all its Castle Rackrent, Moygraney,  and Pacific Railway mode.

I got to know John Pomeroy who had built his LNER layout "Winton" into a railway room.. this was worked to a timetable and was fascinating to "drive".

Baz

I well remember Winton being at Central Hall. His recorded commentary drove us insane by the end of the first day. Fortunately we became immune to it by the end of the week. Great layout though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

"South Yorkshire, nearest big place Doncaster" - half a bl**dy planet away... ;)

Well, if people will live in the extremities of the country, that sort of thing happens. I managed the trip the other way a few times (to Truro) but wasn't quick or easy!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

There is a Club in Bromley, South London, called Rusper. They run OO analogue between a series of sheds. Each one is a section, with Bells and signals . I have to admit I have never visited them but several of my OO colleagues are members.

I too live in awe of Peter and his tenacity and clever use of whatever materials were available to him. Such a lovely ambience of time and place. Thank you t-b-g for saving the legend.

Rich.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ashley Bridge said:

There is a Club in Bromley, South London, called Rusper. They run OO analogue between a series of sheds. Each one is a section, with Bells and signals . I have to admit I have never visited them but several of my OO colleagues are members.

I too live in awe of Peter and his tenacity and clever use of whatever materials were available to him. Such a lovely ambience of time and place. Thank you t-b-g for saving the legend.

Rich.

They used to be near East Croydon. I went along several times to participate in operating sessions.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Denbridge said:

His recorded commentary drove us insane by the end of the first day.

I think it was an Oxford thing. Leslie Eden's Bossington Branch also had one. Imagine an exhibition with them next to each other...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I think it was an Oxford thing. Leslie Eden's Bossington Branch also had one. Imagine an exhibition with them next to each other...

Yes, Rowley Road had a commentary as well.

Baz

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I carried on with the sequence today, getting through another 30 trains with only two interruptions for frozen DCC...

Anyway, WC wasn't around today so I took a couple of photos myself.

744956500_20210911001train5330950Plymouth-PenzanceclassB.thumb.JPG.459578dbf96b89176b1e8835e8c741e5.JPG

Train 533 is the 0950 Plymouth - Penzance ordinary passenger, hauled by 6809 Burghclere Grange. This is an old K's kit, mounted on a Bachmann Manor chassis. It was a bit of a buqqer to build as the firebox had to be widened considerably to clear the mechanism. I built it about 25 years ago when I was away every week on a weekly commute, to stop me going to the pub every evening.

The stock is a mixed bag - from the loco we have: a Hornby Hawksworth BTK; an original Airfix Centenary CK (one of a few I have where I ruled in the modified ventilators using a bow pen and maroon enamel); a Lima Siphon G fitted with Airfix 9' plate bogies and new buffers; a Hornby Hawksworth BG; and a Hornby fish van, which I'd like to replace one day by an Insixfish.

2051912516_20210911002train5502310FOManchesterLR-PenzanceclassA.thumb.JPG.e54c47bd31553c4eebce68ca033c03d3.JPG

This is train 550, the 2310 (FO) Manchester London Road - Penzance. It's hauled by 4099 Kilgerran Castle, an original Airfix tender-drive model detailed and repainted, about 30 years ago, for the loft layout. Behind it, all ex-LMS stock, are: a Bachmann BSK; an Airfix CK with flush glazing and a repaint, which holds its own as long as it's not placed next to a more modern RTR model; a Dapol BG that I repainted while I was living in Singapore about 20 years ago; a Bachmann CK and BTK; and a Hornby TK.

Regarding the DCC freezing, I haven't yet added an RC filter to the Terminus power zone bus or to the Polperran points bus. I need to order some resistors and capacitors to do that, after which we'll see whether it makes any difference. If not, I'll be back on the phone to Marcus to see what else he can suggest.

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

Good to see that someone else is still running Airfix Castles!

Only one now, Nick. I had two but when I bought a Hornby model I made one good Airfix one out of them (4099's original chassis had something wrong with it. It did look odd running at speed with the driving wheels not going round).

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, I think (hope) I've fixed the collision problem. Instead of set 506 being berthed in Penzance road 3 Left (PZ 3 L) I'll move it to PZ 4 Middle. There should be enough room in PZ 4 for set 531 (3 coaches, on the left), 506 (4 coaches, in the middle) and sets 718/719 (6 coaches, on the right).

I'll check that out tomorrow.

I forgot to mention that this seems to have worked - touch wood.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Only one now, Nick. I had two but when I bought a Hornby model I made one good Airfix one out of them (4099's original chassis had something wrong with it. It did look odd running at speed with the driving wheels not going round).

I have three though only two are in running offer, since I haven't tracked down a source of new traction tyres!

• Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My one and only Castle is an Airfix one. Renumbered and fitted with a Craftsman detailing kit as a BR double chimneyed one.
It is VERY old. I got it back in the 80's when Cheltenham were flogging Airfix off for a fiver a loco.
She doesn't get run much, but she delivers the goods when she does!
Chris.

• Like 10