Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I think the ones currently on the Accurascale website are for the modern stock, so presumably they're making a different version for the Manor, which would then be available later as spares in the same way?

If you are looking at these: https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/couplers they are more modern, we're also restocking a new version with the Tommy bar the 'other' way around so they can be fitted functionally and look ok.

We're making 8 distinctly different versions of the Manor in this first run, and the tooling suite is extensive to allow almost all variations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, McC said:

If you are looking at these: https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/couplers they are more modern, we're also restocking a new version with the Tommy bar the 'other' way around so they can be fitted functionally and look ok.

We're making 8 distinctly different versions of the Manor in this first run, and the tooling suite is extensive to allow almost all variations.

Thanks - yes, those are the ones I was looking at. Will you be selling the Manor couplings as spares in due course too please?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks - yes, those are the ones I was looking at. Will you be selling the Manor couplings as spares in due course too please?

We'd hope to yes, with a pack of the functional and 'hung up' version

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, McC said:

A little 'not before seen' sneak preview of the updated buffer beam with the coupler to one side... (ignore the oblong rivets, they've already been fixed... more new will be posted soon :)

Image from iOS (1).jpg

Thanks! That will be worth waiting for.

If it's not too late, may I suggest a minor change? On photos I've seen (such as @ChambyPhil's photo of KEII above), the pins in the two links lie at right angles to each other, not parallel as in your image. It would be great if you could arrange them like that.

Thanks for the privilege of this preview. Oh, and the lamp irons look very nice too!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

So, as a result of all that I've just pre-ordered 7820 Dinmore Manor from Kernow to replace my existing Bachmann 7816 Frilsham Manor.

Now, 7820 was the first of the BR batch and was delivered in lined black. As one of the GWR batch, 7816 probably never wore lined black, and almost certainly didn't carry red plates, but my existing model does and I like that combination. However, things in Mid-Cornwall are slightly different from the real world, so a quick swap of plates (and a new decoder) when the new loco arrives and nobody will be able to argue...

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks! That will be worth waiting for.

If it's not too late, may I suggest a minor change? On photos I've seen (such as @ChambyPhil's photo of KEII above), the pins in the two links lie at right angles to each other, not parallel as in your image. It would be great if you could arrange them like that.

Thanks for the privilege of this preview. Oh, and the lamp irons look very nice too!

Not always exactly at right angle to each other but not far off and never in the same plane as you wouldn't be able to hang the coupling on the hook if they were.  The lower shackle also needs to be a bit further screwed out in order to reach the hook properly

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not always exactly at right angle to each other but not far off and never in the same plane as you wouldn't be able to hang the coupling on the hook if they were.  The lower shackle also needs to be a bit further screwed out in order to reach the hook properly

They will settle with the pins at (approximately) right angles due to gravity, assuming that the thread hasn't seized up.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

A complete change this morning.

1964952929_20210924003Meritdriversandfiremen.JPG.1349d73c0669d1f85b508b0b3c901d90.JPG

I sorted out my Merit loco crew, which I like to use for RHD locos as the driver has his left arm raised. For some reason I only found 13 drivers but 16 firemen, of whom two seem to be of different lineage - the one at the front in the darker blue overalls and one in the back row whose growth seems to have stopped at about the age of 12. Very odd.

Anyway, they're now all stuck to little pieces of black styrene sheet, which in turn will be stuck to the footplate. A quick touch-up with matt black paint and they'll be right for work but for the moment they're all lined up like the terra-cotta warriors.

As I was working with the drivers it struck me that the pose is very reminiscent of John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. Perhaps I should give one of them a white suit.

Looks like a rehearsal for the Hokey Cokey.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Good progress today with ballasting, which now extends all the way to the point at Wheal Veronica (inclusive).

No progress on the terracotta warriors though and there'll be none tonight either, as I'll be watching the rugby after dinner.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Fancy a Holiday near Portsmouth?:D

4 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

He doesn’t know it yet, but he’s visiting the Wirral first!

Paul.

Ahem....  does your river run white?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Ahem....  does your river run white?

Depends what they pour into it at Runcorn!

Other chemical sites are available too.

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Auto mistaker
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Fancy a Holiday near Portsmouth?:D

Some nice pubs in your part of the world, so who knows?

7 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

He doesn’t know it yet, but he’s visiting the Wirral first!

Paul.

Last time I was in the Wirral was for a rugby match against Caldy (@Barry O might have been on that trip too), over 40 years ago, so possibly time for another trip one day...

• Like 6