Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Scunthorpe?  Pfft, THIS is a radio control shunter!  :D

169755158_september201433.jpg.188012c4be2e0516ff1aaa6dd3e0e2c9.jpg

9000hp of EMD goodness, all driven by the chap with the radio pack on the front porch.

If only the locos had a cab he could sit in...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northroader said:

What if he drops that box, and all that lot runs over it?

Same as with DPU locomotives, and break in the command signal and the unit(s) automatically go to idle and in this case the brakes will apply too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, SJR said:

Here's an example of when remote control shunting doesn't end well...

Here a Kiwi Rail remote control DSG class shunter takes a dip in Picton Harbour...

https://youtu.be/-UB5v15STc8

You should always make sure you have got your positive and negative rails the right way round before wiring an entire 2 rail DC layout, especially if link spans are involved ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Wot? You have real coal??:jester:

Seriously yes 8t does look nice but a bit over loaded. Someone must have tipped the scales and a few bob when it was weighed out for despatch.

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Wot? You have real coal??:jester:

Seriously yes 8t does look nice but a bit over loaded. Someone must have tipped the scales and a few bob when it was weighed out for despatch.

Baz

Yes, it's real coal. It was marketed by a local firm under the name Simply Coal - Fine Crushed Dust Free. Unfortunately the proprietor retired and it's not available any more.

I've also got another, finer, product called Black Coal Fine Grade - Washed and Graded. I think you can still get that from Gwydir Valley Models (usual disclaimer):

http://www.gwydirvalleymodels.com/products_listed.php?c=15

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Barry O said:

That looks a lot better.

I may be building a couple of China clay kits today...hopefully they will get to you before the end of 2021..

Baz

Appreciate that very much Baz. Can you pop the remaining transfers in the box too please?

Thanks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, it's real coal. It was marketed by a local firm under the name Simply Coal - Fine Crushed Dust Free. Unfortunately the proprietor retired and it's not available any more.

I've also got another, finer, product called Black Coal Fine Grade - Washed and Graded. I think you can still get that from Gwydir Valley Models (usual disclaimer):

http://www.gwydirvalleymodels.com/products_listed.php?c=15

I have used a similar approach, with a taller piece of foam and the top trimmed to shape using scissors.  

Other finely graded coal suppliers are the excellent Atwood Aggregates (who paused trading during lockdown), and Hattons now have their own range of loose wagon loads: I used their coal recently which is also very effective.

• Informative/Useful 6

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Here's the spare-time job I've been working on for the last couple of days:

304697947_20211014001coalwagonloadbase.JPG.971bc310889afdd398dd9d4205ed056c.JPG

First, I cut a cuboid of polystyrene foam to fit into the ECC coal wagon and built up a mound using scrunched-up toilet paper soaked through with PVA.

1240534932_20211014002coalwagonloadbasepainted.JPG.36b2538efeef6bf89c5612d63d004475.JPG

Once it was dry, I painted it with flat black acrylic.

508387907_20211015001coalwagonloadbasecomplete.JPG.8c0720e7783211438d5249e5f0fcf78c.JPG

Once that in turn was dry, I smeared a thick layer of PVA on the top, using clingwrap to keep the sides clear, and sprinkled scenic coal all over it. After the glue had dried overnight I shook off the surplus coal to leave a thin layer...

1896010019_20211015002coalwagonwithbase.JPG.216d0fd583881318e6ff69dae56eef59.JPG

...and placed it into the wagon.

With hindsight I think the wagon is a little too full but never mind. I could trim the base but for the moment I'll leave it. It can now go back to its place at the end of Wheal Veronica no 1 siding.

Don't know why, but I was struck by the 1 (white) pic, but on reading your process, I began to think

this could be hard work.

But I have a plan.

At a suitable opportunity I will entreat Mrs MB to make some rectangular cakes, or perhaps shortcake.

With just a little luck the rejects may be just the right shape, and texture. Perhaps even colour.

Of course it is just possible there are no rejects, a definite win / win!

Off to get a tin helmit, just in case....

TONY

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Baz @Barry O was right and this would have irritated me had I left it, so I sliced about 3mm off the bottom of the foam base.

1877016687_20211015003coalwagonwithreducedload.JPG.ed7af87a063bcf2121945ab6dd4d338b.JPG

That's more like it!

That’s a very pronounced peak, especially for coal of that size. Is this from a prototype photo?

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Don't know why, but I was struck by the 1 (white) pic

Perhaps you were expecting it to be china-clay? Sorry to disappoint you!

42 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

At a suitable opportunity I will entreat Mrs MB to make some rectangular cakes, or perhaps shortcake.

With just a little luck the rejects may be just the right shape, and texture. Perhaps even colour.

Of course it is just possible there are no rejects, a definite win / win!

Off to get a tin helmit, just in case....

Having met the aforementioned Mrs MB, I think that would be a wise move.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Regularity said:

That’s a very pronounced peak, especially for coal of that size. Is this from a prototype photo?

spacer.png

No, it's just the way it turned out when I had a play, Simon.

If I end up doing more, I might make a proper former for the mound and use it to produce multiple paper-and-glue shells.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Also, if the wagon has been at WV for some time, would there be a significant valley in the coal nearest the door ?  I'm guessing they only empty the coal as needed, else the wagon would be shipped up on it's own schedule, possibly even being swapped for an empty one  (two extra train movements there, if required, no, don't thank me, all part of the service).

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1