Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

3 hours ago, Regularity said:

Is this from a prototype photo?

Ironically, the nearest wagon in the photo really will leave a trail of coal - it's overfilled and some of the contents are already making their way over the edge to freedom. A good sideways jolt, say when encountering a turnout with a little bit of speed, and quite a lot of the contents will get the heave-ho...

The photo is instructive in showing that there were many different grades of coal, which look very different.

Yours, Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Also, if the wagon has been at WV for some time, would there be a significant valley in the coal nearest the door ?  I'm guessing they only empty the coal as needed, else the wagon would be shipped up on it's own schedule, possibly even being swapped for an empty one  (two extra train movements there, if required, no, don't thank me, all part of the service).

It's only just arrived, Stu, and given the general lassitude among the ECC workers I suspect that it will be some time before they start to unload it.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

It's only just arrived, Stu, and given the general lassitude among the ECC workers I suspect that it will be some time before they start to unload it.

I’m sure they’ll unload the wagon dreckley.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

27 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

would there be a significant valley in the coal nearest the door ? 

Next he'll be asking for a working door opening on the wagon - and then for it to open and close to order, via a DCC command, meaning the installation of a decoder and wheel pickups.

This could get expensive...  :O

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

Next he'll be asking for a working door opening on the wagon - and then for it to open and close to order, via a DCC command, meaning the installation of a decoder and wheel pickups.

This could get expensive...  :O

For the avoidance of doubt, 'twas not I that asked the question but m'learned friend Mr Stubby XLVII.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, it's real coal. It was marketed by a local firm under the name Simply Coal - Fine Crushed Dust Free. Unfortunately the proprietor retired and it's not available any more.

I've also got another, finer, product called Black Coal Fine Grade - Washed and Graded. I think you can still get that from Gwydir Valley Models (usual disclaimer):

http://www.gwydirvalleymodels.com/products_listed.php?c=15

John, I bought some real coal off of Brunel Hobbies In Melbourne 2 or 3 years ago. They might be worth a go if you can't find any more local to you.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 15/10/2021 at 16:22, St Enodoc said:

Yes, it's real coal. It was marketed by a local firm under the name Simply Coal ...

You could always pop up to Thirlmere and appropriate a lump.  Last time I was there they were giving the kids a lump for their education... or maybe that was Steamranger.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I took 1419 back out to the railway room to test on the layout and guess what? Within a few yards of starting both traction tyres fell off, so that problem has taken care of itself. Even without them, it had no problem pulling the autocoach up to Porthmellyn Junction, so it will definitely be fine on the level run between Polperran and Pentowan.

After that I changed tack and marked out the Modratec parts that need drilling for St Enodoc lever frame - the Tappet Guides, the Long Tappet Support, the Spring Retainers, the Auxiliary Switch Unit Support Bar and the two tappets (for the section signals) that will be locked by the Eemecks. Not too many mishaps along the way, so they're now ready for when I can arrange a visit to Charles' place to use his bench drill and taps.

I haven't marked (or cut) the locking bars themselves yet. They can wait until I've assembled the basic frame structure.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I took 1419 back out to the railway room to test on the layout and guess what? Within a few yards of starting both traction tyres fell off, so that problem has taken care of itself. Even without them, it had no problem pulling the autocoach up to Porthmellyn Junction, so it will definitely be fine on the level run between Polperran and Pentowan.

After that I changed tack and marked out the Modratec parts that need drilling for St Enodoc lever frame - the Tappet Guides, the Long Tappet Support, the Spring Retainers, the Auxiliary Switch Unit Support Bar and the two tappets (for the section signals) that will be locked by the Eemecks. Not too many mishaps along the way, so they're now ready for when I can arrange a visit to Charles' place to use his bench drill and taps.

I haven't marked (or cut) the locking bars themselves yet. They can wait until I've assembled the basic frame structure.

I bought a second hand Hornby 14xx a bit back that also came with very worn traction tyres, simply due to its age.  As with your locomotive, they removed themselves very quickly when running in (anticipated).  I did find it helpful to clean the track again afterwards just to be sure I’d not left small bits of rubber on the rails.

Again, as with yours, it didn’t need them anyway - guess it was just standard to fit them at that time.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A question for traction tyre omission experts: do they not leave a groove in the wheels that interferes with the rail head?  I ask because I have Lima and Hornby (dieasels) for which I have been thinking of trying to obtain unthread replacement wheels, but if I can just remove the tyres that will be so much easier.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

A question for traction tyre omission experts: do they not leave a groove in the wheels that interferes with the rail head?

Generally, yes they do. On 1419, by packing the trailing axle as I described last week, I've kept the treads of the grooved wheels just clear of the rail, so the grooves can't catch. The loco now only runs on the first and third axles.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 12/10/2021 at 08:04, St Enodoc said:

It only took ten minutes to restore 7905 to health. I tested it on the test track and then on the layout, including a challenging combination of points and slips at fairly high speed. It's running better now than it has for many moons. I only changed the one muff - I'll adopt a "fix on failure" philosophy for these I think.

I am still unaware what a muff is (in model railway loco terms). Can you inform me please?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I am still unaware what a muff is (in model railway loco terms). Can you inform me please?

It's the white bit that holds and separates the two stub axles on Bachmann split-frame chassis. It's called a muff because in function it resembles the old-fashioned handwarmers where you'd put one hand into each end of a fluffy tube.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

A question for traction tyre omission experts: do they not leave a groove in the wheels that interferes with the rail head?

59 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Generally, yes they do.

I can confirm that too. 

Several years ago I built a Prussian based layout using loco's made by the likes of Fleishmann etc, very well made they were too, but most had traction tyres which seems to be the way with foreign made loco's. Whilst they were extremely well built and would pull a house down once the traction tyres wore out you would be left with either dis-assembling the chassis to replace them or trying Frog-Snot* in the grooves. * Not the best solution I found and would never use it again. I did manage to get "normal" drivers to replace a few and discarded the grooved ones.

The other problem was the crud that the tyre left on the track work over time, not great really.

G

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You could always look out for a bargain non runner and replace the grooved wheels. Its a very simple swap.....even I managed it. Combined with a Zimo chip and stay alive its super smooth and reliable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Edit: I just discovered that this was my 15,000th post on RMweb. I really should get out more...

Not sure if that milestone represents a positive or negative outcome of Covid-19!

• Agree 8
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

This coming weekend, 23-24/10/21, sees the return of the Leeds MRS (of which I have been a member since 1976) exhibition:

I’m hoping to get there on the Sunday as we are currently in St Enodoc country(ish)

8B10B69D-4146-4345-BD82-FA895ABFEBAF.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Well after our sat nav sent us down single track roads that have grass growing in the middle we reached Daymer Bay…for St Enodoc.

John, we didn’t find the sign post we came across last year and the weather wasn’t kind either, so we didn’t get to the hotel. I do have some other signpost signs that might be OK. 

6A1D6DD6-3EEB-41F2-AA5C-4B8B08EA7FE7.jpeg

3A41CAC3-B9E7-42D6-9EC9-53DBC2D58C2C.jpeg

C84C2D5A-796B-4377-805E-F6BB95C0274B.jpeg

7EA5EB2D-3309-4E3D-A75A-7A8627DA89EA.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Well after our sat nav sent us down single track roads that have grass growing in the middle we reached Daymer Bay…for St Enodoc.

John, we didn’t find the sign post we came across last year and the weather wasn’t kind either, so we didn’t get to the hotel. I do have some other signpost signs that might be OK. 

6A1D6DD6-3EEB-41F2-AA5C-4B8B08EA7FE7.jpeg

3A41CAC3-B9E7-42D6-9EC9-53DBC2D58C2C.jpeg

C84C2D5A-796B-4377-805E-F6BB95C0274B.jpeg

7EA5EB2D-3309-4E3D-A75A-7A8627DA89EA.jpeg

Thanks Andy. That's a super photo of the church. Would you mind if I use that (duly credited of course)?

• Like 3