Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
On 16/10/2021 at 09:32, 5BarVT said:

A question for traction tyre omission experts: do they not leave a groove in the wheels that interferes with the rail head?  I ask because I have Lima and Hornby (dieasels) for which I have been thinking of trying to obtain unthread replacement wheels, but if I can just remove the tyres that will be so much easier.

Paul.

A little bit of a late reply but it might be useful.

I have all sorts of ancient continental mechanisms uderneath my AFK locos, many of which have/had traction tyres.

When they fall off they leave a groove and lifting the offending wheel above the railhead is not an option, unfortunately.

One option is to fill the groove with plastic padding (car filler).

This is easily pared back by running the mechanism upside down whilst applying a file to the wheel tread.

(Don't forget to use safety glasses!)

This works reasonably well in that the groove is no longer there and the filler gives some grip on the rail.

More recently, after a couple of my modern N gauge locos threw their tyres, I acquired, for an eye watering sum, some electrically conductive epoxy resin.

This removed the groove but maintained electrical contact.

The converted tender drive locos run okay on the level terminal fiddleyard layout (Inverness Citadel).

I have not yet tried them on the semi-moribund roundy roundy which has a number of unintended gradients.

Uax6 of this parish suggested, not totally facetiously, I think, that mixing iron filings with the araldite might achieve the same effect at much less cost!

Ian T

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Today is International Champagne Day. It is also (according to "our" ABC) World Wombat Day.

So, to all wombats out there enjoy your glass of fizz but don't spill it in your pouch.

Cheers!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Today is International Champagne Day. It is also (according to "our" ABC) World Wombat Day.

So, to all wombats out there enjoy your glass of fizz but don't spill it in your pouch.

In the cold weather we are having in Britain right now one would not want a wet pouch. No sir.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

In the cold weather we are having in Britain right now one would not want a wet pouch. No sir.

It wouldn't be Leeds MRS show weekend if it wasn't cold.

Same as the last weekend in November was guaranteed to bring the first snow of the winter for the RAC Rally.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, ianathompson said:

A little bit of a late reply but it might be useful.

I have all sorts of ancient continental mechanisms uderneath my AFK locos, many of which have/had traction tyres.

When they fall off they leave a groove and lifting the offending wheel above the railhead is not an option, unfortunately.

One option is to fill the groove with plastic padding (car filler).

This is easily pared back by running the mechanism upside down whilst applying a file to the wheel tread.

(Don't forget to use safety glasses!)

This works reasonably well in that the groove is no longer there and the filler gives some grip on the rail.

More recently, after a couple of my modern N gauge locos threw their tyres, I acquired, for an eye watering sum, some electrically conductive epoxy resin.

This removed the groove but maintained electrical contact.

The converted tender drive locos run okay on the level terminal fiddleyard layout (Inverness Citadel).

I have not yet tried them on the semi-moribund roundy roundy which has a number of unintended gradients.

Uax6 of this parish suggested, not totally facetiously, I think, that mixing iron filings with the araldite might achieve the same effect at much less cost!

Ian T

Thanks Ian. Yes, if the ex-tyred wheel actually has to run on the rail then filling the groove is a good way to go. Not sure about iron filings and Araldite though...

I have something called "Improved Electrically Conductive Wire Glue", made by a US firm called Idolon Technologies that does the same job. I'm sure it or an equivalent is available elsewhere.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

There actually was/is a Wheal Strawberry mine in Cornwall but I think it is further west. I worked back in the late 1990s on mapping the footpaths for Cornwall County Council for the whole of Cornwall but mainly in Kerrier and Penwith which is why I can't remember it's actual location.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simonmcp said:

There actually was/is a Wheal Strawberry mine in Cornwall but I think it is further west. I worked back in the late 1990s on mapping the footpaths for Cornwall County Council for the whole of Cornwall but mainly in Kerrier and Penwith which is why I can't remember it's actual location.

Thanks Simon. I've already got one Wheal, so it won't be another of those but that's a great name.

I think it will start with "Great" and end with "Consols" but I'm still mulling over the bit in the middle. I have one strong idea but if anyone comes up with a better one I'll think about changing it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

the rugby starts soon

Well, it started (and finished) all right but I couldn't watch it, which was very frustrating.

The new broadcast deal for Australian rugby signed last November announced, inter alia, that:

"Nine will broadcast every Wallabies Test from 2021 onwards and one Super Rugby AU match each weekend on its free-to-air network".

Apparently this is now not the case. The Japan game was only broadcast on Nine's subscription streaming service Stan.

I have sent some strong feedback to the Nine Network about this. Unless they change their mind and revert to what the original announcement said, then I won't get to see the forthcoming Scotland, England or Wales games either.

Not happy.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Simon. I've already got one Wheal, so it won't be another of those but that's a great name.

I think it will start with "Great" and end with "Consols" but I'm still mulling over the bit in the middle. I have one strong idea but if anyone comes up with a better one I'll think about changing it.

Great Wheal Consols?:D

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, it started (and finished) all right but I couldn't watch it, which was very frustrating.

You have my sympathies.

At least the Premiership is streamed live in the UK.

I prefer the 13 a side code however.

Ian T

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Wheal Meetagain ? 

Yours 

Vera Offtotheleft

• Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, simonmcp said:

I thought that strawberries needed light to ripen. How are they grown in mines? I know that mushrooms were grown in old underground caverns or tunnels in the Bradford on Avon area, hence the Bradford Mushroom mines. I got some of their spent compost a long time ago - it paid for itself in the mushrooms that grew!

Lloyd

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

in the Bradford on Avon area, hence the Bradford Mushroom mines. I got some of their spent compost a long time ago - it paid for itself in the mushrooms that grew!

Lloyd

they grow wine in the one at Gastard ;)

• Friendly/supportive 3