Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Simon. I've already got one Wheal, so it won't be another of those but that's a great name.

I think it will start with "Great" and end with "Consols" but I'm still mulling over the bit in the middle. I have one strong idea but if anyone comes up with a better one I'll think about changing it.

The Devon Great Consols mine was the world’s largest copper mine in its day.  It comprised a number of Wheals including Maria, Anna Maria, Josiah, Emma, and....  Fanny.

So how about Great Fanny Consols?  And you can justify the name!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

they grow wine in the one at Gastard ;)

OK then, Gastard Deep Storage (Octavian ltd, twixt Corsham & Melksham), a former munitions store, is now a bonded warehouse deep, deep underground.  Wine is held in bond until the duties are paid and Slack Alice (the most beautiful of winding engines) pulls it to the surface.

When I 'worked' for a mail order wine company, I'd pick up from there (after having my vehicle searched by a proper uniformed security guard, the ones with a white cover atop their hats).  I was offered a trip down but was put off by the same sort of safety gear miners wear about their personages, so missed out.

• Informative/Useful 4

14 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Simon. I've already got one Wheal, so it won't be another of those but that's a great name.

I think it will start with "Great" and end with "Consols" but I'm still mulling over the bit in the middle. I have one strong idea but if anyone comes up with a better one I'll think about changing it.

Well, I'm good for a challenge. Knowing nothing about your geographic area of interest, I repaired to Wikipedia's entry on Mining in Cornwall and Devon, and proffer the following from amongst the colourful names documented therewithin:

• Great Ale & Cakes
  • Great Alfred Consols
  • Great Boiling Wells
  • Great Wheal Busy
  • Great Boys Consols
  • Great Owles Consols

I'm also tempted to do something with Ding D0ng mines, but didn't want to bring down the tone of the thread.

Edited by aardvark
did rmweb edit what I wrote, or am I stupid?
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Tankerman said:

Great Wheal Consols?:D

15 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Wheal Meetagen?

15 hours ago, Regularity said:

Wheal Mannige?

15 hours ago, Regularity said:

Great Control Consols?

14 hours ago, bgman said:

Wheal Meetagain ?

7 hours ago, Chamby said:

Great Fanny Consols?

2 hours ago, aardvark said:
  • Great Ale & Cakes
  • Great Alfred Consols
  • Great Boiling Wells
  • Great Wheal Busy
  • Great Boys Consols
  • Great Owles Consols

I wish I'd never asked.

My preference at the moment is Great Rosevear Consols.

Rosevear is a nice Cornish-sounding name and also (almost) the name of a very nice historic pub in a small village on the left bank of the Tamar north of Launceston, just south of Exeter and not far from Grindelwald.

Oh, that's the Tamar in Tasmania, by the way, in case anyone thinks I've lost my sense of direction completely.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

After fettling 1419 a bit last night I took it back to the railway room and reunited it with its trailer.

585719252_202110240011419andW187WatPolperran.thumb.JPG.67f618038f0a42ca5a30bd8ea5d5c5bd.JPG

I still need to fit lamp irons and lamps and put some "Polperran" destination boards on the sides of the trailer.

I might put a driver in the cab of the trailer too but I don't think I can do much about a fireman on the loco as the cab has no floor and is half-filled by the decoder. With the loco at the Pentowan end the fireman would be on the far side anyway, so his absence won't really be noticeable. As far as lamps are concerned, I'll fit a white and a red lamp but I'll probably be too lazy to make them changeable.

Apart from that, I got all five B Sets and strengtheners out of their boxes and lined them up in the Chapel Sidings. They won't come into play yet but as those tracks aren't used in the sequence any more they might as well earn their keep. I also took the Okehampton and Padstow coaches out and placed them at Polperran, with 41297 on the Padstow, just for fun.

Finally I checked some measurements for the St Enodoc lever frame so that when Charles is ready I'll take the parts round for drilling and tapping. I also did some measuring in readiness for starting the St Enodoc and Wheal Veronica permanent hand point/uncoupler control panels.

Edited by St Enodoc
Images restored
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Rosevear is a nice Cornish-sounding name and also (almost) the name of a very nice historic pub in a small village on the left bank of the Tamar north of Launceston, just south of Exeter and not far from Grindelwald.

Oh, that's the Tamar in Tasmania, by the way, in case anyone thinks I've lost my sense of direction completely.

I was wondering where Grindlewald came from.  I associate it with rack railways and cable cars.  Not much call for rack railways in England.

Paul.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

I was wondering where Grindlewald came from. 

1 minute ago, Nick Gough said:

Sounds like it should be in 'Lord of the Rings' or 'Game of Thrones'.

Surely you recognise it from the Happy Rotter spin-off series, 'Fantastic Beasts and where to find them in Australia ' ?

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Rosevears is the name of the furniture shop on the corner of the main crossroads in Bugle, opposite The Bugle Inn.  A bit closer to your chosen location than Tas!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Rosevears is the name of the furniture shop on the corner of the main crossroads in Bugle, opposite The Bugle Inn.  A bit closer to your chosen location than Tas!

Excellent! I think that settles it, then.

Do you think I should go for the singular or plural (possessive?) form?

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I wish I'd never asked.

There's a park home site called Rosevear Park about a mile north east of St Dennis, so Rosevear would fit in nicely with your layout's area. The only other Rosevear I know of is in the Scilly Isles which would need the building of a very long tunnel.:D

Apologies for my suggestion, I tried to resist posting it, but my Cornish sense of humour got the better of me.:(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

The possible problem with Trerise is that, in west Cornwall at least, it would be pronounced Trerice not Tre-rise.

Understood - the connection is of course, as Stu @Stubby47 hinted, with Chris Trerise at Kernow Models (usual disclaimer).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tankerman said:

Definitely the singular.

Makes sense, as the furniture shop is named after its founders, the Rosevear family.

IMG_4940.jpg.e74144cc0b7cb9a82f08a68fbfacfb81.jpg

Edited by Chamby
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thank you all for your suggestions, some of which were actually helpful...

Those latter miscreants shall be rounded up, subjected to summary trial at a kangaroo* court, then shot at dawn.

Helpful comments, pah!

* Presumably you can help us by providing a kangaroo?

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

As were the pub and village in Tassie.

Could they have been related one wonders?  Was Tassie a free state (like S Aus) or conscripts?  (Hoping I’ve got my history right about the free state!)

Paul.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

As were the pub and village in Tassie.

If there was any hard rock mining in that area then the connection would be obvious. A lot of Cornish miners left Cornwall for foreign parts in the 1880/90's when the Cornish mines closed. There was saying in Cornwall that if you went down a deep hole in the ground anywhere in the world you would find a Cornishman at the bottom.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 5BarVT said:

Could they have been related one wonders?  Was Tassie a free state (like S Aus) or conscripts?  (Hoping I’ve got my history right about the free state!)

Paul.

Definitely a convict colony (it was Van Diemen's Land then, part of New South Wales until 1825 and changing its name to Tasmania in 1856). It is quite possible that they were related. The original licensee of the inn was one William Henry Rosevear, who was not a convict.

https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/LH6Z-HGV/william-henry-rosevear-1773-1860

https://rosevearshotel.com.au/history

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tankerman said:

If there was any hard rock mining in that area then the connection would be obvious. A lot of Cornish miners left Cornwall for foreign parts in the 1880/90's when the Cornish mines closed. There was saying in Cornwall that if you went down a deep hole in the ground anywhere in the world you would find a Cornishman at the bottom.

Indeed. East of Adelaide in SA there is a heritage mining area centred on the town of Callington.

https://www.samininghistory.com/sa-mining-heritage/

• Informative/Useful 5