Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

still sulking in the corner and remarks like that are likely to keep it there.

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Shackleton.. 

No wonder he went off to the Pole with all that going on over his head !

images.jpeg.4af93773d472d7f5627d953917c94672.jpeg

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

And a lifeboat station...

And trees all bent in one direction...

And hedges...

And WN/SN buses and Royal Blue coaches...

And Kelly's ice cream...

And...

And...

And a Shackleton.....

:lol:

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Having turned on the power at 0900 this morning, the system worked perfectly until two minutes before tea time, when it froze again. That was a shame, because we were just about to run the long clay round to Polperran and back so that the team could see the branch in action. Anyway, after turning everything off and then back on after tea, we managed that so we moved on to the short clay, to demonstrate the working at Wheal Veronica, only to find that the system had frozen yet again.

Perhaps the command station just doesn't approve of the new extension to the branchline??

On a serious note the signal box is looking very nice!
Will look great with a row of levers and a Signalman reading the paper by the pot belly stove in a big comfy armchair.

Edited by Sharky
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Sharky said:

…… and a Signalman reading the paper by the pot belly stove in a big comfy armchair.

I don’t think he’d get much time to read the paper at Porthmellyn Road on a summer Saturday in the 1950s! ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

20 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Anyway, here's a near-repeat of one of yesterday's photos - can you spot the difference?

Yes, Porthmellyn Road signal box is sitting temporarily in its place at the Down end of the island platform.

Also a cloth has gone from the signal levers and the time on the clock. ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3

16 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

After about four hours the NCE system was still working normally, although until that has been the case for a few more times I won't be happy that we've fixed the problem. Fingers crossed.

I admit to not following your DCC saga that closely, but as an ex-software developer (and debugger), I observe that a system that is idling is quite different to one that is doing something useful.  But I'm sure you know that.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, aardvark said:

I admit to not following your DCC saga that closely, but as an ex-software developer (and debugger), I observe that a system that is idling is quite different to one that is doing something useful.  But I'm sure you know that.

Thanks. It does seem to be random though. There's no clear (to me) pattern of whether the freezing happens when the system is quiescent, being used "gently" or being used intensively, or the time before it freezes.

As with all intermittent faults, bl00dy hard to pin down.

• Friendly/supportive 11

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As with all intermittent faults, bl00dy hard to pin down.

So that. Intermittent faults kept me gainfully employed for years.

Could also be thermal, interference, and/or a host of other secondary effects.

Edited by aardvark
Edited to remove excessive stupidity.
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, aardvark said:

So that. Intermittent faults kept me gainfully employed employed for years.

Could also be thermal, interference, and/or a host of other secondary effects.

Yes, it's just a gradual process of elimination. I'm starting with the command station because David kindly lent me a different one to try.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I am certain I have asked this before - or others have, but what foam trackbed do you use? I seem to recall its mostly for realism so there is a cess beside the line but I have just seen some Woodland Scenics trackbed at Hattons in the UK which looks quite good but its not cheap so I wondered what you use.

...and how do you curve it - do you cut out sections?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/37698/woodland_scenics_st1461_single_track_strips_of_oo_ho_gauge_track_bed_1_75_x_24_x_36/stockdetail

Edited by Martin S-C
rubbish spelling
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Martin S-C said:

..and how do you curve it - do you cut out sections?

Hi Martin,

I used this product many years ago and if I recall the Woodland Scenics offering has a split line down the middle which can be used to separate the foam and then each piece is laid individually to the required radius. It is very pliable and easy to use when laid and is one method to lay track onto. 

These days I work mainly in 7mm and use a rubberised cork sheet to lay track onto.

G

Look here at approx 2.17 into the video.....

Edited by bgman
video added
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I am certain I have asked this before - or others have, but what foam trackbed do you use? I seem to recall its mostly for realism so there is a cess beside the line but I have just seen some Woodland Scenics trackbed at Hattons in the UK which looks quite good but its not cheap so I wondered what you use.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/37698/woodland_scenics_st1461_single_track_strips_of_oo_ho_gauge_track_bed_1_75_x_24_x_36/stockdetail

Hi Martin,

I have used the woodland scenics foam track bed rolls, and can highly recommend it.  It is a nice product to use.  I have used it as supplied on single track, and in combination with the sheet version for double track.  Below, shows the chamfered foam split down the middle, with a section of sheet cut to shape in-between to give the required width.

933651188_IMG_3671small.jpg.b1a6bf3cede32a070cb5a4a2da0e0304.jpg

Track-laying in progress:  the foam is easy to trim to shape as required.  I split the foam roll down the middle, and use the proposed track centre line as a guide to laying.  I used neat PVA glue, and map pins to keep it in place whilst drying.

172168522_IMG_1860small.jpg.0c5167037befb162847845b0e12a2c3d.jpg

In summary... not cheap, but an excellent product.

Phil

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Pretty much as Grahame and Phil have said except that I use the DCC Concepts 3mm thick product (usual disclaimer).

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product-category/track-and-track-making-parts/top-quality-track-bed/

The half-width strips curve quite easily. Where I have a wider expanse of trackbed, such as at pointwork, I fill in with cork as it's cheaper than the DCC Concepts foam sheets.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, aardvark said:

In for a penny ... I use TrackLay, which makes ballasting a piece of the proverbial for thin-sleepered track.

Interesting, although the ballast offered is way over scale size - even the “N gauge” ballast at 1mm is 50% too big! 
(IIRC, prototype ballast passes through a 2” sieve, or 0.67mm in 4mm scale.)

• Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Regularity said:

Interesting, although the ballast offered is way over scale size - even the “N gauge” ballast at 1mm is 50% too big! 

I didn't use their "ballast chippings", just the underlay.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Regularity said:

got any photos you can post of this size of ballast in situ on a 4mm layout?

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1