Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I started Polperran point control panel today, after some sketching over the past day or so.

With a bit of trial and more error, I put together a basic frame, which will be screwed to the baseboard top.

1906161545_20220123003PPpointcontrolpanelframe.JPG.237ff0edad5c4f7fcbbaea66c1137dd5.JPG

614606599_20220123001PPpointcontrolpanelframe.JPG.889a0ecb571329eda3eb781e2f13e242.JPG

The panel itself will sit on the sloping front and will be hinged so that it can be lifted up for access to the insides, which will include the Mini Panel. This is where some of the error lies, as I'm not sure that the current configuration will let the piano hinge fold back far enough for the panel to support itself when it's open. Once I've got the hinge (I thought I'd got a length left over from Paddington and Penzance but, if I have, I can't find it) I'll be able to check and amend if necessary.

The panel itself will be white-faced MDF with blue striping tape for the lines, as before.

The Duke of Cornwall will not be amused.  One does not approve of such a monstrous carbuncle towering over this AONB!  

But then again, Cornwall Council is renowned for its insensitive planning decisions.  Perhaps the panel could be disguised as the refuse incinerator that now stands at St Dennis?  

;)

Edited by Chamby
Tweak
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Chamby said:

The Duke of Cornwall will not be amused.  One does not approve of such a monstrous carbuncle towering over this AONB!  

But then again, Cornwall Council is renowned for its insensitive planning decisions.  Perhaps the panel could be disguised as the refuse incinerator that now stands at St Dennis?  

;)

Fear not, Phil - the panel will be behind the backscene (and part of the reason for filling in the back of the panel is to block the view through the hole in the backscene).

• Like 5

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I started Polperran point control panel today, after some sketching over the past day or so.

With a bit of trial and more error, I put together a basic frame, which will be screwed to the baseboard top.

1906161545_20220123003PPpointcontrolpanelframe.JPG.237ff0edad5c4f7fcbbaea66c1137dd5.JPG

614606599_20220123001PPpointcontrolpanelframe.JPG.889a0ecb571329eda3eb781e2f13e242.JPG

The panel itself will sit on the sloping front and will be hinged so that it can be lifted up for access to the insides, which will include the Mini Panel. This is where some of the error lies, as I'm not sure that the current configuration will let the piano hinge fold back far enough for the panel to support itself when it's open. Once I've got the hinge (I thought I'd got a length left over from Paddington and Penzance but, if I have, I can't find it) I'll be able to check and amend if necessary.

The panel itself will be white-faced MDF with blue striping tape for the lines, as before.

I've always found it easier to have the hinge at the bottom of panels, finding it better for working on the back of switches etc.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

I've always found it easier to have the hinge at the bottom of panels, finding it better for working on the back of switches etc.

Possibly with a sliding drawer under the baseboard, ready to slide out to support the upturned panel. 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Denbridge said:

That's what I've done on the big panels at Paddington and Penzance, which are mounted on the wall. For this panel, which needs the sloping front to make the face easier to read, I couldn't come up with a way to do that easily. It's not too late, though, so I'll have another think.

6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Possibly with a sliding drawer under the baseboard, ready to slide out to support the upturned panel. 

Yes, perhaps not a complete drawer but just a bar (piece of timber), although fitting that in with the joists and front fence might be a challenge.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, perhaps not a complete drawer but just a bar (piece of timber), although fitting that in with the joists and front fence might be a challenge.

Or perhaps cords on each side to hold it when open and just drop inside when closed?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Australia Day today, so with warm (but not too hot) weather and very little breeze I decided to spray paint the levers for St Enodoc lever frame. After masking and a coat of etching primer, I sprayed the colours using epoxy enamel, as I did at Porthmellyn Road. This gives a nice glossy and hard-wearing finish.

The eight black and three blue levers are finished but the 19 red ones will need another coat. That leaves three spares, which I plan to cut down to act as collars at one end of the lever spindle rather than install them complete and paint them white.

I'm actually off work tomorrow and Friday too, so (weather permitting) I should finish the spraying over the weekend.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Australia Day today, so with warm (but not too hot) weather and very little breeze I decided to spray paint the levers for St Enodoc lever frame. After masking and a coat of etching primer, I sprayed the colours using epoxy enamel, as I did at Porthmellyn Road. This gives a nice glossy and hard-wearing finish.

The eight black and three blue levers are finished but the 19 red ones will need another coat. That leaves three spares, which I plan to cut down to act as collars at one end of the lever spindle rather than install them complete and paint them white.

I'm actually off work tomorrow and Friday too, so (weather permitting) I should finish the spraying over the weekend.

They let you have holidays too??:sungum:

Lots of Kaizen going on.. great!

Baz

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

They let you have holidays too??:sungum:

Lots of Kaizen going on.. great!

Baz

Well, today's a public holiday and I don't work on Fridays, so I decided to take Thursday off too; as our company's new French owners would say, to "faire le pont".

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, today's a public holiday and I don't work on Fridays, so I decided to take Thursday off too; as our company's new French owners would say, to "faire le pont".

So will we see locomotives 102-104 heading up your Cornish Riviera Express?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Thanks for a couple of useful tips there. I assume, the foam block is home made?  The new loco lift does look sturdier, am getting ideas now...

Yes, the foam block is just an off-cut with the holes pressed in.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

You’ve now got me wondering if the double length version will be long enough to take the Bachmann crane and solve my storage issues….

I don't think it will, Rich, but the system is modular, so you can join as many units together as you like (within reason...). I didn't measure the overall length today - I can do that tomorrow - but the single unit will hold a pannier but not a small Prairie, if that's any help.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

You’ve now got me wondering if the double length version will be long enough to take the Bachmann crane and solve my storage issues….

Each segment is 150mm long.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

On the Peco YouTube channel it says you can connect a maximum of 4 together.

The double unit is ref PT61 at 300mm £16.50 at Hattons. https://www.hattons.co.uk/658736/peco_products_pt_61_multi_scale_loco_lift_and_storage_unit_double_for_oo_n_oo9_ho_and_hom_scales/stockdetail

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I don't think it will, Rich, but the system is modular, so you can join as many units together as you like (within reason...). I didn't measure the overall length today - I can do that tomorrow - but the single unit will hold a pannier but not a small Prairie, if that's any help.

19 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

The double unit is ref PT61 at 300mm £16.50 at Hattons. https://www.hattons.co.uk/658736/peco_products_pt_61_multi_scale_loco_lift_and_storage_unit_double_for_oo_n_oo9_ho_and_hom_scales/stockdetail

With apologies for the thread hijack, is it possible to ask what the dimensions of t(e loading gauge are - neither the Peco website nor YouTube video specify.  Hattons confirm the 150mm / 300mm (double) length and gives a width of 80mm but not sure if that’s the external size of the product.  I note the video shows American H0, but my specific question is with overhead electrics in mind?  Just wondered - good to see the current rate of progresss on baseboard building, Keith.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

Each segment is 150mm long.

The sliding stops are set back from the ends so it's not as simple as 150 x the number of modules. I'll check tomorrow.

43 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

That might be tight for the crane (or a Garratt...).

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

With apologies for the thread hijack, is it possible to ask what the dimensions of t(e loading gauge are - neither the Peco website nor YouTube video specify.  Hattons confirm the 150mm / 300mm (double) length and gives a width of 80mm but not sure if that’s the external size of the product.  I note the video shows American H0, but my specific question is with overhead electrics in mind?  Just wondered - good to see the current rate of progresss on baseboard building, Keith.

I think the 80mm will be the external width, Keith. Again, I'll check tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1