Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
On 05/04/2024 at 09:53, TrevorP1 said:

Cornish bus drivers are pretty intrepid fellows. 😀

You might be surprised at the places I took buses. Many of the (non-local) passengers were. The locals just took it for granted. In all my years driving I never once so much as scratched the paintwork despite often having 1cm or less clear either side. 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Premium
On 05/04/2024 at 12:09, St Enodoc said:

The bus in the "famous photo" is an LWL (can't post it here for copyright reasons), which we've discussed before on these pages. The SUS is slightly too modern for the MCL, being supplied to WN/SN in 1960 according to that link.

I've got an old Little Bus Company Dennis Mace kit, that was given to me by my late friend and colleague Tony Swift. One day I'll build it in his memory.

http://www.little-bus.com/bus-kits/mace1.html

If it's the photo I'm thinking of at Burngullow by Peter Gray, then it's 365, GTA390, which was a 1942 Bristol L5G which was stretched to 30' in 1955 and fitted with a new ECW 39 seat body making it in effect a LL5G not a LWL which were 8' wide.

I too would love to have one of those SUS kits - or two actually, one WN and one in Thames Valley livery for the two ex-WN (and three ex-Bristol) ones that worked over Marlow Bridge.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

If it's the photo I'm thinking of at Burngullow by Peter Gray, then it's 365, GTA390, which was a 1942 Bristol L5G which was stretched to 30' in 1955 and fitted with a new ECW 39 seat body making it in effect a LL5G not a LWL which were 8' wide.

I too would love to have one of those SUS kits - or two actually, one WN and one in Thames Valley livery for the two ex-WN (and three ex-Bristol) ones that worked over Marlow Bridge.

Thanks Mike. It is indeed, reproduced in "Steam in Cornwall". I had my wires crossed there. There's a different photo somewhere of an LWL at, I think, St Austell, which must have been in my head.

I've got an EFE L in Eastern National livery, which I will modify to WN. I know it's not an LL5G but it is a Bristol/ECW half-cab, so that's good enough for Mid-Cornwall!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The brake gear from eBay arrived today. The Gibson plastic hangers and blocks look nice but appear to be designed for locos with larger wheels.

At first sight, though, the MT175 etches look promising. I'll have a little play and report back.

As I suspected, the plastic brake gear is the wrong configuration for 2182, so I'll put that to one side (I don't mind having wasted $4.50 just to be sure). The smallest etches on the MT175 fret are better but the hangers are still slightly too long for the 16mm wheels (not helped by the location of the pre-drilled holes in the frames, which are only about 4mm above the axle centre line). Comparing these with the picture on the Wizard website, I'm not convinced that the MT177 fret etchings would actually be any better.

My plan, then is to indulge in a little bodgery by soldering a rod across the bottom of the frames in the right place to support the built-up brake blocks, solder another between the lower holes on the hangers and trim the tops of the hangers level with the top of the frames, with no extra support. That should give a reasonable impression of the brake gear, especially as the upper part will be hidden by the footplate valances. If it works, I could also add some dummy pull rods behind the wheels, although I don't want those to get in the way of the pickups.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

When the brake rods are between the wheels I often make up a frame of stiff wire and attach to the base of the chassis where it is hidden by the wheels. Brake blocks are soldered to this via the cross rods. This allows adjustment to ensure they miss the wheels. I find there is less adjustment hanging them from the top.  I do no have any mounting rods at the top of the brake hanger, or only cosmetic ones. This is a Saint but the idea is the same. This one the brake assembly is removeable as in this case, it screws to the chassis in the base and end. I have never had any shorting issues.

Mike Wiltshire

brakes_1a.JPG.844c8d4984f11f75fc77493b18881cf7.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 05/04/2024 at 09:53, TrevorP1 said:

Thank you John!

Do be careful with the buses though... As we know from the famous photo, buses got to the north side of the bridge but I'm not sure about over it! On the south side there is an impossible (for a bus) hairpin turn or a lane that becomes pretty narrow and tight even in car. There again, Cornish bus drivers are pretty intrepid fellows. 😀

On 08/04/2024 at 06:52, Gwiwer said:

You might be surprised at the places I took buses. Many of the (non-local) passengers were. The locals just took it for granted. In all my years driving I never once so much as scratched the paintwork despite often having 1cm or less clear either side. 

Never mind Cornwall. A while back, I took the Stagecoach 44 (the Devon General 4 or 47 of my youth) from Exeter to Honiton, just to see how it had been threaded through and around all the urban sprawl of the past two decades.

I was amazed when we crossed the old A35 at Rockbeare, went down through the village proper and around the lanes up to West Hill; a road I only use if absolutely necessary in a car! 

This in a good-sized (32' x 8' ?) single decker not a skinny little Bristol SU. However, it did get "interesting" in a few places where we met oncoming traffic, especially one very big tractor with trailer.

Fortunately the locals are well-practised in the use of passing places given adequate advance sighting and reversing when not!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

When the brake rods are between the wheels I often make up a frame of stiff wire and attach to the base of the chassis where it is hidden by the wheels. Brake blocks are soldered to this via the cross rods. This allows adjustment to ensure they miss the wheels. I find there is less adjustment hanging them from the top.  I do no have any mounting rods at the top of the brake hanger, or only cosmetic ones. This is a Saint but the idea is the same. This one the brake assembly is removeable as in this case, it screws to the chassis in the base and end. I have never had any shorting issues.

Mike Wiltshire

brakes_1a.JPG.844c8d4984f11f75fc77493b18881cf7.JPG

Thanks Mike - that's quite close to the mental picture I have for 2182.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 11/04/2024 at 18:44, Michael Edge said:

That all looks strong enough, I wouldn't use plastic brake gear for anything now.

Grand spraying weather today, so the chassis is now all black. More when I've unmasked the axle bearings and the pickup pads.

Quick question for the panel: soldering whitemetal - Carr's Red Label or phosphoric acid?

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Grand spraying weather today, so the chassis is now all black. More when I've unmasked the axle bearings and the pickup pads.

Quick question for the panel: soldering whitemetal - Carr's Red Label or phosphoric acid?

Hi

Personally I use Phosphoric acid for all my soldering......

I've got Carrs Red Label but can't remember why I don't use it...

It is more important to clean after soldering as with the lower temp there is more likely in my experience to be acid residue left after soldering.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Phosphoric acid for everything, throw the Carrs stuff out (they never tell you what it is)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

The way to deal with the stupidly long grubscrews is to tighten them, cut them off flush and saw a new slot in with a piercing saw. If the griubscrew was entirely in the hole as it should be it wouldn't shear off (as I'm sure you know).

Thanks Mike. Yes - when is a grub screw not a grub screw? When it's in a Romford gear wheel.

I think I'll be able to do what you suggest by extracting and shortening the existing screw - except that I haven't got a piercing saw. I think I know someone near here who has, though.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

A razor saw will do it but maybe you haven't got one of those either. It saws a slot in the gearwheel as well but that doesn't matter.

Yes, I have a razor saw. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1