Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Because when (not if) it stops working it gives me a fighting chance of finding out why and fixing it!

Hi UDJ

I might be untidy but should things go wrong all wires are labeled and in my pad of information is the wire number, what colour it is, where it starts and where it finishes. So it is organised sort of.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

all wires are labeled

That's the most important bit. Unless I can see both ends of a wire at the same time, every wire has a label at each end. They're also colour coded by function, e.g. track power, accessory power, etc.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's the most important bit. Unless I can see both ends of a wire at the same time, every wire has a label at each end. They're also colour coded by function, e.g. track power, accessory power, etc.

None of my wires are labelled.  Every wire is colour coded to one of six different buses...  black & red for the up, green and white for the down, blue and yellow for all the accessories.  Plus orange from each point motor switch to its frog.

If I add anything electrical to the layout it just gets connected to the nearest wire of the same colour.  Makes life SO much easier...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Chamby said:

None of my wires are labelled.  Every wire is colour coded to one of six different buses...  black & red for the up, green and white for the down, blue and yellow for all the accessories.  Plus orange from each point motor switch to its frog.

If I add anything electrical to the layout it just gets connected to the nearest wire of the same colour.  Makes life SO much easier...

My colour coding is slightly different - for example, all track power is red and black but there are three separate power buses, so each track power wire carries a label stating whether it belongs to the Up, Down or Yard bus (Branch and Terminus buses will come later too). Frog wires are green (of course) and are labelled according to the point motor they belong to. The accessory bus is clear twin speaker wire - arguably, I don't need to label that but I do anyway out of habit. Analogue point motor feeds are brown and blue - again, they are labelled according to the motor concerned. Still to be installed are uncouplers (white and white/black) and signals (probably pink and grey). Yellow is used for various miscellaneous circuits such as the line clear releases on the lever frame. I've still got violet and cream up my sleeve, not to mention a further selection of bi-coloured wire. It all works for me.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

When I worked for Marconi's I had to inspect the wiring of the items we were selling to our customers. Some would be up to a thousand connections, 500 wires on one cable form and they would all be pink. Labeling was the only way to identify them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Clive, thought you might be interested to see my under-board wiring in comparison to yours... I have a thing about hanging wires, having accidentally caught them too often and yanked something out as a result.  I now use binder spines 'hot-glued' to the baseboard's underside, to hold everything tight but still leave them accessible if necessary:

IMG_3413.jpg.dedb42c1c2454b0b6cd5e16522d42c08.jpg

As St Enodoc says, "It works for me".  I only wish I could keep things on top of the boards as tidy!

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Clive, thought you might be interested to see my under-board wiring in comparison to yours... I have a thing about hanging wires, having accidentally caught them too often and yanked something out as a result.  I now use binder spines 'hot-glued' to the baseboard's underside, to hold everything tight but still leave them accessible if necessary:

IMG_3413.jpg.dedb42c1c2454b0b6cd5e16522d42c08.jpg

As St Enodoc says, "It works for me".  I only wish I could keep things on top of the boards as tidy!

Ah But.................

100_5774.JPG.70e3b1cc0d9a1e81d3bbbc39f19a34a4.JPG

100_5776.JPG.663f6f22830c1ef2eaa302df9c8afcb3.JPG

And that was before the signal wires went in.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I feel sick with anxiety just looking at all that :bo_mini:

Why? Each section has two wires that either go straight to the track, or via the GM500 which switches the frog polarity. Each point has two wires that again go straight to the point motor or in the case of the electro-frog points via the GM500. Signals have a red and green wire from their switch. There is a common return for the point motors and another for the signals (they are DC). The few places where trains need isolating there are wires to and from the switch. Just lots of the same thing. All labeled and recorded.

One day they will be cable formed. There appears to be no hurry at nearby Manby Airfield to line the pigs up on the runway ready for take off.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Why? Each section has two wires that either go straight to the track, or via the GM500 which switches the frog polarity. Each point has two wires that again go straight to the point motor or in the case of the electro-frog points via the GM500. Signals have a red and green wire from their switch. There is a common return for the point motors and another for the signals (they are DC). The few places where trains need isolating there are wires to and from the switch. Just lots of the same thing. All labeled and recorded.

One day they will be cable formed. There appears to be no hurry at nearby Manby Airfield to line the pigs up on the runway ready for take off.

I know it's just a couple of wires (conveniently nicked by the DCC worshippers) per track/point but the shear volume on your layout fills me with dread - this is why I keep abandoning layouts when the wiring isn't done properly.

My new baseboards will not be fixed to their base so i can tip them up and work on them at a comfortable angle and height, maybe then it will approach something looking sensible.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

There appears to be no hurry at nearby Manby Airfield to line the pigs up on the runway ready for take off.

According to that website the Pigs went to Oakington in 1972 (I can vouch for this as the first aeroplane I ever flew in was a Flying Pig at Oakington the same year, on a CCF field day).

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I cut another six strips of MDF today, which will be enough to go round the corner to the Down end of Paddington, near the tunnel mouth.

While waiting for the rain to ease off before coming back indoors, I tested whether a relay coil and a LED in parallel would work off a 12V dc supply. Fortunately, they did (many thanks to Chris at work - not a railway modeller - who reminded me of Kirchhoff's Laws), so I am now confident that my proposed design for the Line Clear releases between Paddington, Porthmellyn Road, Penzance and St Enodoc will work. So should the design for the "First-Come-First-Served Single Line Tokenless Block" that I intend to use between St Enodoc, Pentowan and Polperran.

More on these another time.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

The weather won the Calcutta Cup game.

Paul.

The weather down here is winning too at the moment.

Warragamba Dam, (one of?) the largest in NSW, has gone from 43% to 61% of capacity in a week.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I think it was Terry Pratchett who wrote about a character who was a rain god but didn't know it and was convinced it rained everywhere whereas in reality it just rained wherever he was.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

9 minutes ago, teaky said:

I think it was Terry Pratchett who wrote about a character who was a rain god but didn't know it and was convinced it rained everywhere whereas in reality it just rained wherever he was.

That was Rob McKenna in the Hitch Hickers Guide to the Galaxy.

https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Rob_McKenna

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4