Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Happy Easter everyone.

Having bemoaned the unavailability of Milky Bay Easter eggs recently, I was overjoyed to find some in Coles last weekend. Small they may be but any Milky Bar egg is better than none.

848788649_20200412001Easterbasket.jpg.f26ba5e893ea6dd4fdd4dd6e981406ed.jpg

The ones in the middle were on special so I had to buy two to save a dollar. Anyone else think they look like Orville?

At first glance I thought .....is this a strange Australian tradition of putting Broccoli in with Easter eggs!  Ahhh they’re bunny’s.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

At first glance I thought .....is this a strange Australian tradition of putting Broccoli in with Easter eggs!  Ahhh they’re bunny’s.

Must be all that N gauge modelling making your eyes go funny.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Two coats of varnish on the lever frame casing and, as I expected, the grain has stood up so it's a bit rougher than I would like. I think I'll give it a quick rub down (with sandpaper, not the Sporting Life) and then another coat.

Apart from a bit more tidying up on the C65, most of today was taken up with erecting some new shelves in the lounge room. @NHY 581 of this parish will be pleased to know that they are Ikea LACKs.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 12/04/2020 at 20:46, acg5324 said:

What not even barbecued? :D

At the heat I have my plate at, broccoli would vaporise in an instant if I attempted to barbecue a piece of the stuff.  Which is probably just as well.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I haven't had time yet to put the final coat of varnish on the lever frame casing but I have printed permanent versions of the signage on self-adhesive labels, ready for when I do.

I also spent an enjoyable hour or so last night trawling through a couple of recent Steam World magazines that featured Cornwall. I now have details of about 100 more trains on specific dates with the actual loco that was pulling them. That will be very helpful for updating the loco workings when I expand the sequence to cover the whole layout.

Might mean I need some more locos...

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Ashley Bridge said:

Definitely means you’ll need more Locos.   Big ones!

Might need more storage too, that’s a slippery slope.- - -

Rich

Just open the garage door and add another fan of sidings :)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Just open the garage door and add another fan of sidings :)

“Just”???

:-)

Having said that, it’s an issue I’m grappling with too (only at the theoretical level) as rostering locos per service to get the correct head codes means multiple locos where previously one or two would have sufficed.

How steep a gradient can a (heavy) light loco manage . . . 

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The final - I hope - coat of varnish went on tonight, so when that's cured nicely I can reassemble the casing and add the signage. Porthmellyn Road Signal Box will then be complete.

Later, I was rummaging round for couplings and found that I was down to the last two that have been made up. Out with the Metal Black and I've now got another four frets ready for cutting out and soldering up. After that there are only another four left. I feel a shopping list for Wizard Models coming on...

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of sounding unduly provocative I have to say that for a layout that has reached 125 pages there are bu**er all videos of this fantastic creation in operation (or even semi-operation).

I know it is a work (masterpiece) in progress - but seriously is there a bone you can throw us?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Bogie said:

At the risk of sounding unduly provocative I have to say that for a layout that has reached 125 pages there are bu**er all videos of this fantastic creation in operation (or even semi-operation).

I know it is a work (masterpiece) in progress - but seriously is there a bone you can throw us?

At the risk of sounding unduly provocative, you'll have to look harder! The most recent is on page 100:

We probably won't do another one until there are some signals in place.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

That's 25 pages ago!   I know of TV shows that have been cancelled for giving their fans less!

Edited by Bogie
Typo
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Bogie said:

That's 25 pages ago!   I know of TV shows that have been cancelled for giving their fans less!

Play nicely, you two!   

Obviously he’s busy self-isolating, or maybe , like me, cannot get his mate to come round and sort out all the scary tekkie bits .

Rich 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ashley Bridge said:

Obviously he’s busy self-isolating, or maybe , like me, cannot get his mate to come round and sort out all the scary tekkie bits .

You're right Rich, I'm not clever enough do the video stuff myself and of course in the present situation we can't hold any running sessions anyway. The March one was cancelled and the May one is almost certain to go the same way.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Video taking is ok but there are better ways to spend your time. Like making and fitting couplings, building signals, fitting uncoupling magnets, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Video taking is ok but there are better ways to spend your time. Like making and fitting couplings, building signals, fitting uncoupling magnets, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

Baz

Building coaches...

Building wagons...

Ballasting...

Building buildings...

• Friendly/supportive 7

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You're right Rich, I'm not clever enough do the video stuff myself and of course in the present situation we can't hold any running sessions anyway. The March one was cancelled and the May one is almost certain to go the same way.

The current circumstances are the first time ever I've been pleased I have a small layout that can be operated all by myself.  Of course, I'm also a grumpy old git so I don't have an operating crew anyway :)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

The current circumstances are the first time ever I've been pleased I have a small layout that can be operated all by myself.  Of course, I'm also a grumpy old git so I don't have an operating crew anyway :)

Hi Doc

One of the great pleasures of my little model railway is I can be a miserable old git and operate all by myself or  have mates over and be very sociable in letting everyone else drive should they wish. Sadly at present I am being an old grumpy git, but still enjoying playing with me train set.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I fitted one DG coupling to the C65 tonight.

Why only one?

Well, this coach will form a set with a Phoenix D106 BSK that isn't built yet. The inner ends will be semi-permanently coupled, using a length of wire pivoting on press studs under the coach floors.

I'll describe this in more detail when I do it.

The C65 itself is now ready for the body to be cleaned up and painted in crimson and cream. The droplight frames will, however, have to stay brown I'm afraid, so the final livery will be something of a fictitious hybrid, in the same way as the bogies. Nobody will know except you and me.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1