Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

Just a quick one, whilst you've been working on the guards have you got any thoughts on how you will scratch build the viaduct ?

I know its probably a while off but if you're like me there is always the final picture in my head, and wonder about how I will build items.

Just curious.

G

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, bgman said:

Just a quick one, whilst you've been working on the guards have you got any thoughts on how you will scratch build the viaduct ?

I know its probably a while off but if you're like me there is always the final picture in my head, and wonder about how I will build items.

Just curious.

G

Grahame, it's not going to be scratchbuilt at all, I'm afraid, just kit-bashed.

It will be inspired by Coldrennick, near Menheniot, which has plate girders below rail level and stone piers. I'm going to use Atlas plate girders, turned upside-down, and Wills piers with a bit of styrene sheet jiggery-pokery to join them together. The piers will only be cosmetic, fitting round the structural plywood supports. There will be railings along the top, for which I bought some very nice (laser?) cut fencing at a show a couple of years ago. I think I might extend the middle two piers (four in total for five spans) so that the valley can be a bit deeper.

Watch this space - but don't hold your breath!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

You're not going for the full Brunel wooden fan-trestle bridge then, like Carvedras viaduct in Truro ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornwall_Railway_viaducts

They'd all gone by 1934. I suppose I could build some redundant piers...

No! Stupid boy!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I had time today to clean up the rail heads after Sunday's painting.

Way into the future for me, but I’m interested in your approach to avoiding micro scratches on the running surface collecting dirt: or do you find it isn’t a problem?  Would a rub with a graphite pencil fill them in?

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Way into the future for me, but I’m interested in your approach to avoiding micro scratches on the running surface collecting dirt: or do you find it isn’t a problem?  Would a rub with a graphite pencil fill them in?

Paul.

To be frank, Paul, I don't worry about them.

For cleaning paint off the rail heads I generally use a Gaugemaster track rubber, which I also use for general track cleaning although where we are the track and loco wheels don't get very dirty at all. I only clean it all about once a year. For the viaduct, I used an old file as a scraper to clean the rails next to the guard rails, with a piece of card as a shield to protect the inner edge of the guard rails while I was doing so.

I do use graphite - not too much, just a thin layer a few inches long at the Paddington and Penzance throats. I renew this before each of our running sessions every two months.

I've also got a Dapol track cleaner, which I've never used on the current layout and a Tri-ang track cleaning car, which I've never used at all since I fitted new bogies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd offer to come and help with the ballasting this week-end but I would not be allowed to come back into Queensland after I finished.

I say no more!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Get me a flight and I would help too!

Perhaps I can cadge a lift on the RAF Airlines A400M doing touch and go straight at LBA today?

Baz

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/06/2020 at 11:45, St Enodoc said:

They'd all gone by 1934. I suppose I could build some redundant piers...

No! Stupid boy!

WHAT????   Wash your mouth out with Fosters....    YES!    YES!    YES!    YES!  

Redundant piers are SO Cornish main line, you just gotta have 'em.       Trenance viaduct... then and now:

1748163347_TrenanceViaduct.jpg.02faf48f87303fe0aa39e4cb0ce42dc3.jpg

1123960209_Cornishviaduct1.jpg.ac8a81d63403d0c493c6fe111a2f8753.jpg

205933226_CornishViaduct2.jpg.bb500ef81812654a47e53c818328877e.jpg

You don't need them all, just a couple will do...  

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Chamby said:

WHAT????   Wash your mouth out with Fosters....    YES!    YES!    YES!    YES!  

Redundant piers are SO Cornish main line, you just gotta have 'em.       Trenance viaduct... then and now:

1748163347_TrenanceViaduct.jpg.02faf48f87303fe0aa39e4cb0ce42dc3.jpg

1123960209_Cornishviaduct1.jpg.ac8a81d63403d0c493c6fe111a2f8753.jpg

205933226_CornishViaduct2.jpg.bb500ef81812654a47e53c818328877e.jpg

You don't need them all, just a couple will do...  

4 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

And they can go at the end of the “to do” list as they don’t affect operations.

:-)

Paul.

4 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

What's the line that the location of all good layouts can be identified without a train in sight?  Redundant Brunel piers just shout 'Cornwall!

I know, I know. The challenge will be to get them on an alignment that makes visual sense between Tremewan tunnel mouth and 18 points leading to Porthmellyn Road Down Goods Loop.

I can't see how I could do that without putting them on a ridiculous reverse curve. Let's see how the main viaduct looks when it's built first.

There will be plenty of other things that "shout Cornwall", probably including one that will be the first thing you see when you enter the railway room. Wait and see.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/06/2020 at 20:41, St Enodoc said:

For cleaning paint off the rail heads I generally use a Gaugemaster track rubber, which I also use for general track cleaning...

I've also got a Dapol track cleaner, which I've never used on the current layout and a Tri-ang track cleaning car, which I've never used at all since I fitted new bogies.

I'm now using a Roco track rubber - Our local model shop brings in a lot of Euro stuff.  I rank it as the best that I have used.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

There will be plenty of other things that "shout Cornwall", probably including one that will be the first thing you see when you enter the railway room. Wait and see.

.......ahhh a model of the St Austell brewery.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

The Land's End signpost ?

No.

7 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

(Just say when this is getting annoying)

Don't worry, I will! So far, so good...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Pasty mine? Clotted cream settling tanks?

To be fair, I haven't decided finally yet. I know what I'd like to do but until the trackwork is finished and I can make a mock-up I'm really not sure that it would work. So, until then, wait and see.

Keep the ideas coming though - there might just be some I haven't thought of that tickle my fancy and if nothing else we can all have a good chuckle.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

The Land's End signpost ?

(Just say when this is getting annoying)

Hi Stu

I think Sanity has got himself his own exiled Welshman, wot could be more Cornish than that?

• Funny 4