Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

I went to the doctor the other day,
I said 'it hurts when I do that'
he said ' well don't do it'

Was "it" getting out of bed in the morning?

Sometimes things annoy you and you want to fix them even though they may not stop the item being used. I guess the main thing with my Python is that the fault is not visible like a painting fault or a wrong set of brake gear.

I will probably leave it until I have track that I can run it at speed on in a train and see if it derails on the curves. If it doesn't I can leave well alone!

Cheers to all

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Email from Kernow overnight saying my Hornby Prairie (and, I hope, ex-LSWR brake van) has been shipped. Might be anything from a week to a couple of months before I see it though.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Soon be all done! Belated birthday wishes for Veronica!

Open restaurants? What are those???

Baz

They started opening in NSW a few weeks ago, max 10 patrons irrespective of size (restaurant, not patrons), which was a bit daft. As of last week, there's no limit on numbers but social distancing must be observed.

Soon be done? Dunno. A good couple of months' worth of weekends I reckon, assuming I don't get bored and do something else instead.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 21/06/2020 at 16:52, St Enodoc said:

... to celebrate not only my birthday this week but also Veronica's... Consequently, it wasn't until this afternoon that I got back to ballasting.

Glad to see that you have your priorities right.  Happy Birthday to you both.

• Thanks 1

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 09:22, St Enodoc said:

They started opening in NSW a few weeks ago, max 10 patrons irrespective of size (restaurant, not patrons), which was a bit daft. As of last week, there's no limit on numbers but social distancing must be observed.

Soon be done? Dunno. A good couple of months' worth of weekends I reckon, assuming I don't get bored and do something else instead.

But what distance is your social distancing?

Not I hope the half baked " Two metres, but if you are desperate to eat and drink, then one metre with masks and plastic screens or your back to everyone else"?

Don't know about everyone else but I think we will stay at home, cos we just can't see the enjoyment of talking over our shoulders through a mask?? I suppose if we take a thick pen and draw on the plastic screens, that might be some sort of fun?

Hopefully another couple of months and all the Pubs and Restuarants going broke will bring some realism to bear!

Mind you, seeing the packed beaches in this mornings paper I say roll on the rain on Saturday! 

Cheers to all, stay safe

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

But what distance is your social distancing?

Not I hope the half baked " Two metres, but if you are desperate to eat and drink, then one metre with masks and plastic screens or your back to everyone else"?

Don't know about everyone else but I think we will stay at home, cos we just can't see the enjoyment of talking over our shoulders through a mask?? I suppose if we take a thick pen and draw on the plastic screens, that might be some sort of fun?

Hopefully another couple of months and all the Pubs and Restuarants going broke will bring some realism to bear!

Mind you, seeing the packed beaches in this mornings paper I say roll on the rain on Saturday! 

Cheers to all, stay safe

Paul

No, it's quite a practicable thing. 1.5m is the specified distance, which is interpreted (officially) as two arms' lengths irrespective of how long your arms are (where's Twizzle when you need him?). There's no requirement to wear masks or screens. On the whole, people are being quite sensible about it all.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sensible! In the UK? You are having a laught! Beaches full of people, no need to have any social distancing..pah!

Best to stay in and get some modelling done!!

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Sensible! In the UK? You are having a laught! Beaches full of people, no need to have any social distancing..pah!

Best to stay in and get some modelling done!!

Baz

Hi Baz

I saw those pictures of Bournemouth beach yesterday. It must have been the biggest eye test drive ever.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Here in Gods Own Country, folks have been remarkably compliant with the social distancing rules and respecting others... and they still are.  Probably something to do with the age demographic here, a good proportion of the residents are in an ‘at risk’ Category. 

There is much angst and wringing of hands in Cornwall at the moment about the unfettered return of the emmets after 4th July, when much of the tourist infrastructure is due to re-open and the allegedly plague-riddled, rubbish dumping hoardes finally arrive to infest our nice quiet fishing villages and beaches!  We’ve got used to having the place to ourselves, and a very pleasant interlude it has been too!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Chamby said:

Probably something to do with the age demographic here, a good proportion of the residents are in an ‘at risk’ Category. 

Possibly something to do with not being keen to do what the English tell them?

5 hours ago, Chamby said:

the allegedly plague-riddled, rubbish dumping hoardes finally arrive to infest our nice quiet fishing villages and beaches!

And to spend loadsamoney to help keep your economy alive.

No pain no gain Phil...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sarthe currently has 38 people in hospital w Covid-19, down from 300-odd a couple of months ago. None are now in Intensive Care, down from 24 at the peak. 84 lives have been lost in hospital, maybe others in care homes. This against a population of more than 500k. Obviously we are all watching progress, but there is no sign yet of easing of strictures causing a second spike hereabouts. Our tickets for the 24 hrs are sitting here. A much longer night and cooler temperatures will make the race a bit different, and race-rusty drivers, cars and mechanics for the 62 entries might add some spice. I note it starts at 14.30 on the Saturday. 

As an olde ghytt - 71 - I have been a bit careful, meeting no-one but my (Scots) cleaner who drops in twice a week, and checkout ladies at the supermarché till. The worst part is not having seen Sherry since she went home to Torbay on Feb 9th. We hope she will return on July 15th. And we are booked back to the UK on 28th July. 

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

And to spend loadsamoney to help keep your economy alive.

No pain no gain Phil...

Yes, it is a classic ‘catch 22’.   Those most at risk, the elderly, have most to fear and least to gain from the tourism re-start.  But those still of working age have most to gain and are less at risk themselves.  That’s the eternal dilemma with this virus!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

10 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Sarthe currently has 38 people in hospital w Covid-19, down from 300-odd a couple of months ago. None are now in Intensive Care, down from 24 at the peak. 84 lives have been lost in hospital, maybe others in care homes. This against a population of more than 500k. Obviously we are all watching progress, but there is no sign yet of easing of strictures causing a second spike hereabouts. Our tickets for the 24 hrs are sitting here. A much longer night and cooler temperatures will make the race a bit different, and race-rusty drivers, cars and mechanics for the 62 entries might add some spice. I note it starts at 14.30 on the Saturday. 

As an olde ghytt - 71 - I have been a bit careful, meeting no-one but my (Scots) cleaner who drops in twice a week, and checkout ladies at the supermarché till. The worst part is not having seen Sherry since she went home to Torbay on Feb 9th. We hope she will return on July 15th. And we are booked back to the UK on 28th July. 

On 03/04/2020 at 10:15, St Enodoc said:

Rich, the stock is listed in order from the loco, so that should let us work out how it was shunted - let's have a go.

From the front:

Penzance - Truro 9 to 14

Truro - attach 8

Truro - Plymouth 8 to 14

Plymouth - attach 1

Plymouth - Taunton 1, 8 to 14

Taunton - detach 14, attach 2 to 7

Taunton - Reading 1 to 13

Reading - detach 1 and 2

Reading - Paddington 3 to 13

I think!

On 15/04/2020 at 04:12, St Enodoc said:

I haven't had time yet to put the final coat of varnish on the lever frame casing but I have printed permanent versions of the signage on self-adhesive labels, ready for when I do.

I also spent an enjoyable hour or so last night trawling through a couple of recent Steam World magazines that featured Cornwall. I now have details of about 100 more trains on specific dates with the actual loco that was pulling them. That will be very helpful for updating the loco workings when I expand the sequence to cover the whole layout.

Might mean I need some more locos...

Thank you Dudders, as you say, we all have to take care but the isolation is a necessary evil. We have tickets and ferries booked, but will decide later whether to chance it.

Rich  

443206B0-3862-441D-9DCC-8248D9253D13.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, bgman said:

Don't envy you with the ballasting John but you're making a nice job of it.

Thanks Grahame. No, it's not one of the most exciting jobs but it has to be done. The method I'm using has the benefit of being easy and (relatively) quick. I'm pleased with progress so far and as long as I have a few other things to keep me refreshed then it's not too bad.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

You keep forgetting a mugatea or coffee and/or a glass of red makes ballasting much more therapeutic 

Baz

True but knowing me I'd paint tea between the sleepers and take a swig of PVA...

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4