Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, RudderC said:

G'Day St Enodoc,

Have a bunch of the required pens (about 25) from when I was heading down this path and memory wire as well. 

So if you run short...

Thanks, I might hold you to that! I did get a short length of memory wire from you a few years ago. That was the American stuff if I recall correctly. I should have enough now unless I mess up too many actuators while I'm making them (not difficult...). I just need to make sure I don't spoil too many crimps too. I've got plenty of pens I think - I bought the entire shelf stock from IGA Haymarket a while back when I was working at that end of the city.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple of questions:

What part of the pen is the piston made from?

I thought the spring, in the pen, acted between the narrowed end of the clear barrel and pips on the ink tube - what is the non-piston end of the spring fixed to in the modified barrel ?

Ta

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

A couple of questions:

What part of the pen is the piston made from?

I thought the spring, in the pen, acted between the narrowed end of the clear barrel and pips on the ink tube - what is the non-piston end of the spring fixed to in the modified barrel ?

Ta

The pen, as supplied, has five parts:

- the barrel, which includes the pocket clip;

- the ink tube;

- the spring;

- the operating button; and

- the piston.

The piston is inside the barrel at the opposite end to the point. The operating button pushes the piston which in turn pushes the ink tube out of the barrel. The operating button latches through the little slot on the side of the barrel. When you push the button in at the side, the spring pushes the operating button back out and draws the ink tube, which is a friction fit in the piston, back in.

There are no pips on the ink tube. The spring reacts on the piston at one end and a ledge between the clear and coloured sections of the barrel at the other. That remains the case for the modified pen.

Hope that makes sense.

• Informative/Useful 4

17 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

This morning I had my annual check-up with my cardiologist. He says he wants to see me again in 12 months' time, so I'll take that as a win.

... when the next payment on his Porsche is due.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Anyway, it is what it is and will do its job.

Hopefully it passes the 3’ Rule.

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Lest we forget.

Agreed.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

I was reading yesterday about a very brave Aussie sailor who has finale been awarded the VC . He had strapped himself to an anti aircraft gun and carried on firing even as he went underwater 

My Grandad finished the war in the Pacific on an aircraft carrier although it was late1946 when he got home his ship HMS Ranee was talking aircraft round and then was returned to the USA

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Lastly, today we commemorate and reflect on the final end of the Second World War, being the 75th anniversary of what is known in many countries as VJ Day but here in Australia as VP (Victory in the Pacific) Day.

Lest we forget.

My Dad was in Burma. He saw action in the Arakan and the ‘Railway Corridor’ from Myitkyina.

He told me about some of his railway travels in India from Bombay and also the ‘Jeep trains’ near Myitkyina. There were other things. The memories of which he never spoke of but which gave him nightmares till the day he died.  

Never forget.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

After the Japanese surrender it wasn't over for many. There was the British involvement in the suppression of the Indonesian  uprising against the Dutch, until they could return in force.

My father who was in the navy was sent to Vietnam because various factions, same clan factions that started fighting each other after the fall of the South Vietnamese government in 1975, had started to fight each other. The French were not in a position to police the country so British army and navy personnel were in command of small groups of Japanese soldiers to try and keep law and order. He came home early 1947, he was a hostilities only serviceman. 

In India the bulk of the army came home quite soon after the war ended. Not the RAF, some thought that the air force could suppress any uprisings before independence. The hostilities only airmen went on strike because they were not being discharged.  

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

My Dad was in Burma. He saw action in the Arakan and the ‘Railway Corridor’ from Myitkyina.

He told me about some of his railway travels in India from Bombay and also the ‘Jeep trains’ near Myitkyina. There were other things. The memories of which he never spoke of but which gave him nightmares till the day he died.  

Never forget.

My Dad was also in Burma as a Chindit. That was the one part of his war service that also saw him in the Middle East, Italy and Germany, that he never talked about.

I think it certainly contributed to his relatively early death aged 66, although whether it was the stress and food shortage that did for him or the amount he smoked while there, who knows!

It is unfortunate that those times are now so sufficiently distant in the nation's memory that apart from November 11th, we are only reminded of what we owe that generation at the Big anniversaries.

Meanwhile, back in our (mainly) war free model world I think the E147 should be appreciated more than its builder would think. Without our attention being drawn to the door handles and the roof joint, I for one would not have noticed them. Of course it could just be my poor eyesight!!??

Keep up the good work, I say!

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My father-in-law had reached Australia, with the RN, when the rumour began to circulate, subsequently confirmed, that the war was over. He was part of a MONABAS, supporting the Fleet Air Arm for the British Pacific Fleet:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Naval_Air_Base

This was after performing duties as a signaller on a Tank Landing Ship on D-Day. 

We visited him, this week, for the first time since lockdown as he lives 160 miles away. When I told him we broke the journey at the Army Air Museum, Middle Wallop, he spoke of his disappointment that the museum had no mention of the time when his MONABAS was formed up there.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

My father-in-law had reached Australia, with the RN, when the rumour began to circulate, subsequently confirmed, that the war was over. He was part of a MONABAS, supporting the Fleet Air Arm for the British Pacific Fleet:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Naval_Air_Base

This was after performing duties as a signaller on a Tank Landing Ship on D-Day. 

We visited him, this week, for the first time since lockdown as he lives 160 miles away. When I told him we broke the journey at the Army Air Museum, Middle Wallop, he spoke of his disappointment that the museum had no mention of the time when his MONABAS was formed up there.

At the time of the war’s end my Father’s regiment had returned to India where  preparations were being made for a beach assault on Malaya. As it happened the landings took place (operation Zipper I think) but in reduced numbers in a kind of policing function in which Dad wasn’t involved.

Had the war not ended, there were plans for an invasion of Japan to take place in 1946. All nations were to be involved and no doubt my father and your father-in-law would have been there. What might have occurred doesn’t bear thinking about. 

Most people will be aware of the Stephen Spielberg series ‘Band of Brothers’. Spielberg - whose father was in the American Air Force in Burma - did another series, ‘The Pacific’ which culminates in the actions at Okinawa. It’s surely a wonder that any of them came home sane .

However imperfect this world is, we still have a lot to be grateful for. We truly should ‘Never Forget’.

Edited by TrevorP1
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

G'Day Folk

My Dad joined the Navy in 1943, being employed as a Air Mechanic on HMS Perseus and later HMS Glory ( both Carriers) based in Australia, then they dropped the 'Bomb' which saved him getting involved in the invasion of Japan. He enjoyed himself in Australia so much, the whole family emigrated in 1964.  He's still with us at 94.

manna

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 15/08/2020 at 22:07, TrevorP1 said:

There were other things. The memories of which he never spoke of but which gave him nightmares till the day he died.  

Never forget.

My Dad had a similar story.  He served on HMAS Perth and saw action in the Mediterranean and then in the Pacific.  Perth fought in the Battle of the Java Sea and then, with USS Houston, was sunk by an overwhelming Japanese force in the Battle of Java Strait. Dad spent the rest of the war in Changi prison and then on the Burma Railway. He too had nightmares until the day he died.  Two thirds of the crews of the Perth and the Houston never survived the war.  Neither captain survived the battle. There is just one foreign ships company commemorated in America's Arlington Cemetery.  That is HMAS Perth. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16