Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Re: cobbling together signal boxes, have you taken a look at the stuff produced by LCUT?   They sell laser-cut signal box elements, as well as a lot of other really useful bits for stations, industrial buildings, bridges and retaining walls etc.  You can either buy the complete kit, or individual components.  I have found the proprietor to be very helpful and efficient.

www.lcut.co.uk

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Glad to see you used a holiday wisely! We watched the celebrations last year on the riverside in Perth. A lot warmer than it is here today!

Baz

Sure is - 36 deg today. The hottest Australia Day for over 50 years.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

37 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Re: cobbling together signal boxes, have you taken a look at the stuff produced by LCUT?   They sell laser-cut signal box elements, as well as a lot of other really useful bits for stations, industrial buildings, bridges and retaining walls etc.  You can either buy the complete kit, or individual components.  I have found the proprietor to be very helpful and efficient.

www.lcut.co.uk

I'll second that.

Jakob produced the doors and windows for Helstonish Station, to my sizes.

Certainly worth a look, and even I thought them reasonably priced.

TONY

Edited by Mulgabill
spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Chamby said:

www.lcut.co.uk

Thanks Phil. I was aware of the brand but not thewide  range of components. Very interesting.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

About 38 degrees warmer than here then.. prefer the heat to the cold..

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It was 20 deg with showers down here yesterday.
I don't know why we've been dealt such a dud summer...

Edited by Sharky
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

If we are comparing temperature- it was 25 in the shade here yesterday.... just as nice today, but didn’t catch the temperature.

I went running around 9am this morning and it was lovely - almost Spring like!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Australia Day is a public holiday so a bonus day today for working on the layout.

I decided to complete the two crossovers and the track between them.

1980237511_20210126002PM41points.JPG.384a8b33325a72fa7372194b09c6bc63.JPG

Here are Porthmellyn Road 41 points...

1869755285_20210126003SE7points.JPG.f671d46a7e7af8f17b82ba908a1326ec.JPG

...and St Enodoc 7 points.

1918430434_20210126009PM-SEtracklaid.JPG.c2b94de88620ad6641fef98303c00ef5.JPG

I laid the inner (Up) track using a 30" Tracksetta to get a smooth curve. For the outer (Down) track I used the Proses parallel track jigs set at 60mm spacing.

1986245700_202101260104247andlongclaytrainonUpBranch.JPG.f6141da15eb3dafe2eaa01af01011bdc.JPG

Finally I pushed the long china-clay train on to the Down track, where it just fits nicely between the toes of the crossovers.

Next will be wiring, point motors, ballast and signals.

I am very impressed with your progress John.....you put me to shame.

Does the B.V. at both ends of the china clay train reflect actual practice on the prototype or is it just for operating convenience? I am very tempted to do something similar although it won’t be on a clay train!

Best wishes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, john dew said:

I am very impressed with your progress John.....you put me to shame.

Does the B.V. at both ends of the china clay train reflect actual practice on the prototype or is it just for operating convenience? I am very tempted to do something similar although it won’t be on a clay train!

Best wishes

Thanks John! Overall, though, you are way ahead of me.

The two brake vans are just for convenience (although there are photos of trains with two brake vans on the Bodmin branch, to avoid shunting at Boscarne Junction, Bodmin Road and Bodmin General).

We're doing it for the same reason at the moment, to minimise shunting while the long clay train terminates at Porthmellyn Road, but once it can run between Paddington fiddle yard and  Polperran fiddle yard the loco and the brake van will be crane shunted at both places (as they already are at Paddington).

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

. .. and , as usual, very neat and tidy.

Baz

Agreed - although I don’t pretend to understand the electrics / electronics, the good St does keep everything clean and well ordered, setting a standard for us all to aspire to (it can be done!) and it is a pleasure to follow progress.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

On a completely different tack, may I please ask a favour of my Cornish-based friends?

When lockdown permits, would somebody please measure for me the width of the road and/or footpaths on the overbridges at a) Bugle station; and b) Par station?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I started today by labelling all the Branch track bus connections that I installed yesterday. Then I installed the Points/Signals and Uncoupler return buses to St Enodoc.

After that, I connected the frogs to the terminal blocks for each of the four points and in turn connected the terminal blocks to the point motors, so that I could remove the temporary frog jumpers. That rounded off a good weekend's work.

20210131001SE7Bpointsfrogwiring.JPG.218d4849e5ce94bca162d72f485a68d9.JPG

20210131002SEbusconnections.JPG.2d1923162e1328a700c4f0548b118088.JPG

Next time I'll connect Porthmellyn Road 41 points to the lever frame and fit the dummy safety point (40) between 27A points on the Loop and 41B points on the Up Branch. That's the last piece of trackwork at Porthmellyn Road, other than extending the Up Sidings to their full length, once I've decided what that should be.

Edited by St Enodoc
Images restored
  • Like 17