Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Yes, and there is a space in the mouse to store it...

Really? I didn't know that. I can't imagine I'd have put it there if I didn't know about it but I'll have a look tomorrow. Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

No doubt following the law of lost things it will turn up the minute you buy a replacement. I have several mains test screwdrivers for the same reason.

I believe St Anthony is the patron saint of lost things happen intercession with him may lead to the item turning up.   Please note it's never worked for me it's just what my dad says he is a C of E Priest

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Have you asked your good lady if she can find it? Generally works for me.

Baz

Me too.  Even if I’m sure I’ve looked everywhere!

Paul.

• Agree 4

On 14/03/2021 at 06:32, St Enodoc said:

Don't we just love computers?

Well, I do love them - don't know what I'd do without 'em. That doesn't seem to be the popular opinion around here, but I think I have to stick up for them. The more the merrier I say :D

Having said that, I love some computers more than others - and there is a reason that I don't have a Windows machine. I get all too frequent reminders of this when I have to fix something on my wife's Windows machine...

Regarding your missing wireless mouse dongle - is the mouse a Bluetooth one? If so, many more recent laptops have native Bluetooth built in and you may be able to configure your laptop to communicate with the mouse without the dongle. I have a wireless Bluetooth mouse for my Pi400 and don't need a dongle since the Pi400 has Bluetooth native. I'm all for fewer fiddly bits...

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Baz

"It is where you left it" is her normal answer.

Then when I find it where she has tidied up to, "You shouldn't just leave things laying about".

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KingEdwardII said:

Well, I do love them - don't know what I'd do without 'em. That doesn't seem to be the popular opinion around here, but I think I have to stick up for them. The more the merrier I say :D

Having said that, I love some computers more than others - and there is a reason that I don't have a Windows machine. I get all too frequent reminders of this when I have to fix something on my wife's Windows machine...

Regarding your missing wireless mouse dongle - is the mouse a Bluetooth one? If so, many more recent laptops have native Bluetooth built in and you may be able to configure your laptop to communicate with the mouse without the dongle. I have a wireless Bluetooth mouse for my Pi400 and don't need a dongle since the Pi400 has Bluetooth native. I'm all for fewer fiddly bits...

Mike.

Thanks Mike. This is by no means a recent laptop (which is why it was exiled to the railway room) and doesn't have Bluetooth. I don't know about the mouse though. See below for more...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Baz

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Me too.  Even if I’m sure I’ve looked everywhere!

Paul.

28 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

"It is where you left it" is her normal answer.

Then when I find it where she has tidied up to, "You shouldn't just leave things laying about".

19 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Sherry's late mother was famous for saying "It's always in the last place you look!" 

"Where did you last see it?" was one of my dear old Mum's favourites.

Veronica did help yesterday although she is, for some reason, reluctant to search round the darker corners of the railway room so as not to encounter "creatures". Indeed, it was she who confirmed that the laptop doesn't have Bluetooth as well.

So, I popped into our local stationery superstore on the way home from work tonight and picked up a new wireless keyboard/mouse combo for less than $20. That means we'll be right for Saturday and when the old receiver decides enough's enough and stops playing hide-and-seek I'll have a spare set.

Oh, by the way Stu @Stubby47 I did find the neat little space in the mouse but as I expected the receiver wasn't in it.

In other news, the parts for St Enodoc lever frame arrived today from Harold at Modratec. More hours of fun ahead, although probably not quite as many as last time. I won't start building it until all the track at St Enodoc is complete though, which could be a while yet.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Barry O said:

The Salt wagons have arrived safe and sound!

Baz

Great news! That's very quick by present standards.

Still waiting for 8485's numberplates...

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/03/2021 at 20:30, St Enodoc said:

So, I popped into our local stationery superstore on the way home from work tonight and picked up a new wireless keyboard/mouse combo

which I connected up today so all is well for tomorrow...

...except that there is a severe weather warning for torrential rain in the whole of NSW east of the Great Dividing Range and folk are being advised not to go out unless absolutely necessary.

Well, the first Mid-Cornwall Lines running session for 14 months sounds absolutely necessary to me! Anyway, the session will go ahead and the team can come at their discretion. Even if anyone decides not to because, like Henry, they don't want to go out in the rain we should still have enough to get trains running again at last.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

torrential rain in the whole of NSW

My very first visit to Sydney - a business trip in 1988 - coincided with torrential rail. They were warning people to keep off the roads and a couple of cars were indeed swept away by floodwater. I remember working over the weekend to prepare for a training session I was giving on the Monday morning. At one point the roof of the building developed a leak, simply due to the buildup of water up there and we had to scurry around getting the computer equipment out of the way.

The Queen opened the Darling Harbour development a few days later - and miraculously it turned out a brilliant sunny day.

I have both stayed and worked in Darling Harbour in the years since and it's a great spot in central Sydney. One memory is of the various cafes and restaurants that line the city side of the harbour - and the water spray guns provided for customers to keep the birds (seagulls !) off their food. Non lethal but quite effective. We could do with some of those in British resorts like St Ives...

Yours,  Mike.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1