Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

23 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

We're 12 miles ish south of Newquay Airport, just about in the 'oh sh*t there's a problem' zone, but should also have a good view of any successful launches.

Perhaps an even better view of unsuccessful launches?

Lloyd

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

You've nothing to worry about.  A country that can barely manage to string OHLE isn't going to be launching anything anytime soon. 

Of course we are, we’re World Class - a politician has said so.

Paul.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Yup. As Tony Koester put it in Model Railroader many years ago "Never, ever solder under the baseboard in shorts."

Yup. And as Tony Koester should have put it "Never, ever solder under the baseboard when not in shorts."

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yup. And as Tony Koester should have put it "Never, ever solder under the baseboard when not in shorts."

My soldering can cause shorts. :mellow:

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

As far as the signal box and Camping Coach siding are concerned, last week's discussion was very helpful but I've decided not to make a final choice until I've set out the track round to Treloggan Junction and Polperran, so that I can see the bigger picture more clearly.

Notwithstanding, the discussion has confirmed the position of 10B point so I laid that today. While the glue was drying I started marking out the track layout for St Enodoc Down end on a piece of ply.

This took a lot longer than I expected, as although I'd drawn the full-size layout on paper and in theory all I needed to do was to transfer that to the ply, I actually had to do a fair bit of tweaking to get the curves exactly where I wanted them to a) provide the right gangway width between the new board and the existing main line boards; and b) match the three existing points. The key to it all is a spot on the single line curve that is in effect a datum with regard to the side and end walls of the railway room, which took several trial-and-error attempts to locate. I think I've got it all right now, including the short sections of straight track in the middle of the reverse curves as recommended by Mike @Michael Edge. I created those by offsetting the curved sections by about 3 or 4mm and drawing a tangent between them. The straight sections have turned out to be about 50 - 60mm long.

By the time I'd done all that, though, it was too late to lay the two short pieces of track to connect 10B point to 10A point and the Loop so, with luck, I'll do that tomorrow and also make a final check on the new board before marking over the pencil lines with a permanent marker (and then making a final final check before getting the jigsaw out).

No time for photos I'm afraid and anyway the new board is covered in card templates, paper plans, Tracksettas, rulers, squares, pins, pencils, an eraser and all sorts of other gubbins at the moment, so I'll leave those until I've got a bit further on.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Northroader said:

When John Wayne and the Marines come on, remember to stamp your feet in time with the music. It drives the usherettes crackers.

Wot's an "usherette"?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Wot's an "usherette"?

From the word's construction, either a little usher or a female usher (or would that be an usherene?).  Next question - what's an usher. Someone who ushes. From that presumably an usherette is a little man that tells you to shut up!

Oh. Someones going to do that to me now.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, FarrMan said:

From the word's construction, either a little usher or a female usher (or would that be an usherene?).  Next question - what's an usher. Someone who ushes. From that presumably an usherette is a little man that tells you to shut up!

Oh. Someones going to do that to me now.

Lloyd

Sorry Lloyd, I forgot  the irony button. Down here in our local multi-screen cinema usher(ette)s, of whatever gender, are an extinct life form.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

I prefer to listen to the wireless or put on a gramophone record. Especially a Peter Handford Argo Transacord one...

image.png.b23562c0ebfe4e5820ff7ea06c6e417e.png

I've only got one Peter Handford LP - "World of Steam". I haven't played it for yonks. I must dig it out sometime. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see the signalman’s duster at Porthmellyn Rd.  But hanging over all the levers?

:jester:

Nice to see it coming on.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Glad to see the signalman’s duster at Porthmellyn Rd.  But hanging over all the levers?

:jester:

Nice to see it coming on.

Paul.

After dropping something behind the levers and having a tricky job fishing it out before it found its way into the interlocking and jammed the whole lot solid, I decided to use an old bit of rag to stop it happening again!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
On 10/04/2021 at 10:15, LNER4479 said:

I prefer to listen to the wireless or put on a gramophone record. Especially a Peter Handford Argo Transacord one...

image.png.b23562c0ebfe4e5820ff7ea06c6e417e.png

I had the pleasure of paying a visit to see the Millhouses layout of John Brighton a while ago, when such things were legal. He has steam sound records, converted to digital files and playing on "loop" when he operates the layout. Although the sounds are not synchronised with the running of the trains in any way, having that ambient "real railway noise" managed, to me and to others who have experienced it, to create a much more railwaylike atmosphere than any DCC sound I have heard. The rumbling of heavy trains over rail joints and the noise created by carriages and wagons, plus the proper "depth" of sound was really effective and the random whistles and the odd shout from people or the hiss of signal wires really added something.

Roy Jackson had some Handford recordings taken from by the flat crossing at Retford. As he had models of the trains that were on the recording, we once tried to play the recording and drive the trains to the sound. We never did get the articulated dining set over the crossing at exactly the right time but we had fun trying.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I had the pleasure of paying a visit to see the Millhouses layout of John Brighton a while ago, when such things were legal. He has steam sound records, converted to digital files and playing on "loop" when he operates the layout. Although the sounds are not synchronised with the running of the trains in any way, having that ambient "real railway noise" managed, to me and to others who have experienced it, to create a much more railwaylike atmosphere than any DCC sound I have heard. The rumbling of heavy trains over rail joints and the noise created by carriages and wagons, plus the proper "depth" of sound was really effective and the random whistles and the odd shout from people or the hiss of signal wires really added something.

Roy Jackson had some Handford recordings taken from by the flat crossing at Retford. As he had models of the trains that were on the recording, we once tried to play the recording and drive the trains to the sound. We never did get the articulated dining set over the crossing at exactly the right time but we had fun trying.  

That's quite true, Tony. A friend of mine used to have a large layout based on Middlesbrough complete with steelworks and shunting yards. He played (loudly) unsynchronised generic railway sounds, which was very effective.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
On 10/04/2021 at 13:14, St Enodoc said:

The only bits I haven't finished are the tangents for the reverse curves. I've an idea of how to make a little tool that will simplify this task, which I might do tomorrow.

Here's the tangent tool:

20210413001tangenttool.JPG.e94600ec920b84f07a9410899efd360d.JPG

It's just a piece of card with the ends offset from a straight line. The idea is to place it between the curves so that each of the centre bits kisses the curve, then draw along them, remove the tool and join up the gap.

Why not just use a straight edge? Because it's far easier to see where a tangent kisses the outside of a curve than the inside.

I haven't actually tried it yet but I can't see why it shouldn't work.

Edited by St Enodoc
Images restored
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Here's the tangent tool:

443985677_20210413001tangenttool.JPG.6b22c8ace0b563122a2a250f18122922.JPG

It's just a piece of card with the ends offset from a straight line. The idea is to place it between the curves so that each of the centre bits kisses the curve, then draw along them, remove the tool and join up the gap.

Why not just use a straight edge? Because it's far easier to see where a tangent kisses the outside of a curve than the inside.

I haven't actually tried it yet but I can't see why it shouldn't work.

Looks useful. As you say, much easier to get a tangent from the outside of the curve rather than the inside, and your tool should do the trick nicely.

Lloyd

• Thanks 1