Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Which reminds me that it is many a long year since I ate a mint and plain chocolate Jacobs Club biscuit

A BMRC tea time staple.......they seem about half the size they used to be. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

a mint and plain chocolate Jacobs Club biscuit

My favourite . . . apart from the orange one!

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Failed attempt to add a second quote.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

A BMRC tea time staple.......they seem about half the size they used to be. 

Did they go down the ‘chocolate flavour coating’ (like Penguins) or were they the ones that stuck to proper chocolate?

Paul.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Did they go down the ‘chocolate flavour coating’ (like Penguins) or were they the ones that stuck to proper chocolate?

Paul.

Still chocolate I think....quite a thick coating still....... not sprayed on like a penguin.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

If you can’t beat them, join them;

Nuts, whole hazelnuts:

Cadbury’s take them and they cover them with chocolate. 

and

I’m a Cadbury’s fruit and nut case

Paul.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I’m a Cadbury’s fruit and nut case

Ah, good old Frank Muir.

What about "Only the crumbliest, flakiest chocolate, tastes like chocolate never tasted before"?

Never mind the product, just close your eyes and remember the girl.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, Barry O said:

A finger of fudge.....

Or

Every one is a fluffy one....

Hat, coat , see you later...

Baz

How about, "It's Frothy Man!"
Right behind you at the coat rack Baz.
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

What about "Only the crumbliest, flakiest chocolate, tastes like chocolate never tasted before"?

Never mind the product, just close your eyes and remember the girl.

And what she was doing with the Flake (it took Mrs 4479 to point out the deeper significance of that to me. I've led a sheltered life)

PS - I like my Clubs fruity

PPS - You can't beat a Tunnocks Caramel Wafer

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Not being one with a particularly sweet tooth, and never having been much of a tv watcher, much of this stuff is only vaguely familiar. But in 1967 I was sent on Day Release to City of London College in Moorgate, to study for Institute Of Transport exams. The whole concept was fatuous, and had very little relevance to anything I expected to do in my career, but during the morning break we decamped to a café across the road, called Ca d'Oro, I think. There, as you queued for your coffee, Club biscuits in various denominations were ranged on the counter, so inevitably got bought. They struck me as rather expensive for what you got. 

After a couple of years I jacked in the (now Chartered) Inst T crap, and never looked back. In early 1981, I had a career planning interview with the GM Southern Region, and mentioned to him that I had dropped it all. His view was that while it set itself out to be a Professional Institution, it really wasn't wholly professional, and unless I was up against an equal candidate for a job who had the qualification, it was unlikely to hold me back! As he then became Board Member for Personnel, I suspect he knew what he was talking about...... 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

PPS - You can't beat a Tunnocks Caramel Wafer

Now you’re talking.

Made in Scotland from girders.

Oops, sorry, wrong advert!

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

... and unless I was up against an equal candidate for a job who had the qualification, it was unlikely to hold me back!  

That’s simply another way of saying “If I had two otherwise equal candidates, but only one of them had the qualification, (s)he’d get the job!  And that’s the primary reason that these organisations are able to survive.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chamby said:

That’s simply another way of saying “If I had two otherwise equal candidates, but only one of them had the qualification, (s)he’d get the job!  And that’s the primary reason that these organisations are able to survive.

Within the railway industry there are several true professional qualifications - for the engineers, be they civils, signals or mechanicals. Their Chartered status adds important value to the employee, and glass ceilings soon loom for those lacking them, regardless of ability, just as is the case for accountants and lawyers. Those of us who were not engineers were perceived to get the same 'value' from ChInstT. In fact competence proved the yardstick in almost every case. I suspect people like transport planners in local authorities would benefit more from the qualification. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

In fact competence proved the yardstick in almost every case. I suspect people like transport planners in local authorities would benefit more from the qualification. 

The IRO (Institution of Railway Operators) feels a lot more relevant (as an outsider).

As a signal engineer I am MIEE (O.K. MIET, but I’m old and grumpy) because that’s how I had to get C.Eng. back then.  I’m also FIRSE and go to their meetings and conferences (well, did) because that has been far more useful to me in practice.

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1