Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

use a spare Cobalt iP Analogue point motor ... - in effect a power-operated DPDT switch

I'd use a MTB MP5 point motor for that purpose since it has a pair of built-in switches.

I very much agree with you concerning the avoidance of short circuits on the layout - I always prefer direct switching of frog polarity from the point motor rather than the use of frog juicers.

Yours,  Mike.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, KingEdwardII said:

I'd use a MTB MP5 point motor for that purpose since it has a pair of built-in switches.

I very much agree with you concerning the avoidance of short circuits on the layout - I always prefer direct switching of frog polarity from the point motor rather than the use of frog juicers.

Yours,  Mike.

Yes but I haven't got one of those!

I need a total of three changeover switches - one for the frog on 13 points and one each for the "front" and "rear" rails at Polperran, to switch them between the red and black bus wires. Each Cobalt iP Analogue has two changeover switches so all should be well.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

.the triangle, of course, needs the polarity of one of the legs to be changed to avoid short circuits. I've decided that the reversible section will be the whole of Polperran including Treloggan Junction 13 points as seen in the foreground here. I could use an electronic auto-reverser for this but a) I haven't got one and the local shops have no stock; b) I have an inbuilt aversion to creating short circuits intentionally on the layout, even if there is a reason for doing so; and c) they are not cheap.

Instead, I'm going to use a spare Cobalt iP Analogue point motor, wired in parallel with the one for the point itself, to reverse the polarity through its changeover switches - in effect a power-operated DPDT switch. It should work, as there will be no need for a "dynamic" polarity reversal - the point will have to be set before anything runs across it.

That’s clever!

Having started fitting out my lifting flap I’ve discovered a problem with my proposed wire routing across the hinge and thoughts had turned to frog juicers, but like you I prefer ‘simple’ electrical solutions.  I’ll retain this as a possibility.

I have one tortoise where I mangled the gears a bit but it does still throw, this could be a good use for it.

Paul.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

We have done similar sort of switching on Narrow Road by using relays purchased from somewhere like RS components and using the switch on the point motor as an on/off switch for the relays.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Each Cobalt iP Analogue has two changeover switches so all should be well.

One thought . . .

Frog switching will only be loaded by one loco at a time and not when the switch operates.  When you switch the whole of Pentowan there will be a multiple loco load at time of switching.  Good job you aren’t into sound!

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 20/08/2021 at 18:35, St Enodoc said:

It's a bit tricky, Baz. The way I did it was to drill out the Lima mounting hole, fit a new mounting plate on top of the floor and clip the new bogies to that. If you use the original mountings the vehicle rides too high. If I remember I'll remove a bogie and take a photo.

Well, I shouldn't rely on memory. What I described there was how I fitted Lima Mk1s (and the LMS 42ft GUV) with 14mm wheels. On the Siphons I just chopped away large parts of the floor, so the wheels would fit, and use a screw to fix the Bachmann bogies to the original bogie mountings.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

One thought . . .

Frog switching will only be loaded by one loco at a time and not when the switch operates.  When you switch the whole of Pentowan there will be a multiple loco load at time of switching.  Good job you aren’t into sound!

Paul.

That's one of the reasons why I decided to do it at Polperran not Pentowan, Paul. At Polperran there will only ever be one train in action at a time and the quiescent current draw of non-sound and non-lighted trains is negligible. The Cobalt switches are rated at 5A continuous so they should be able to cope with making and breaking the tiny current, especially as it's a form of ac not dc.

If not, I'll have to swallow my pride and get a solid-state auto-reverser or use a relay as Tony @t-b-gmentioned.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

We have done similar sort of switching on Narrow Road by using relays purchased from somewhere like RS components and using the switch on the point motor as an on/off switch for the relays.

Lots of ways to achieve this.  My first approach would be a changeover microswitch fixed to, and activated by the point motor...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chamby said:

Lots of ways to achieve this.  My first approach would be a changeover microswitch fixed to, and activated by the point motor...

Indeed there are. We needed some switching which could be activated by throwing more than one point, such as activating either end of a loop. The loop was fed via a relay which was switched on by the auxiliary switch on the motor at either end. With both points "normal" the loop was isolated but to run in or out, you only had to change the point at that end and either one would work the relay and put the power on. It is a method which is perhaps not really relevant to DCC control but it can be useful for DC.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Then I attached the droppers . . . ten droppers altogether

Only 10?!

But that reminded me I have droppers still to fit.

Another 12!

Paul.

On counting properly I have only 10.

Edited by 5BarVT
Counting properly.
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Did you realise that 10+10 is the same as 11+11?

Is that out of the same camp as the “I have 11 fingers” party trick?

Paul.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

"A Welsh exile in Kernow"

Says it all.

WIth jokes like that no wonder the Welsh exiled him.

He was lucky not to get lynched!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1