Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Yes @St EnodocI did play against Caldy.

My ballasting is just about done as far as it can go currently. I need to get some walls built on the route to the fiddleyard, then it can be ballasted..always assuming I can get a rail match sleeper grime rattle can to spray the track in there . .

Baz

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

14 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Some nice pubs in your part of the world, so who knows?

Last time I was in the Wirral was for a rugby match against Caldy (@Barry O might have been on that trip too), over 40 years ago, so possibly time for another trip one day...

My last Wirral trip was over 30 years ago .
Me and Coachbogie went to an open day on the phenominal O gauge railway, Diggle.
What a stupendous experience that was.
Does anybody know what happened to Diggle?
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I gave the terracotta warriors a dab of black paint round their feet and ankles, and also on the top of some of their caps where I'd snipped off a protruding moulding pip. They're all now back in their box, waiting for the next locos to be detailed.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

This one?

Paul.

That's the beast, thanks.
The stations were undercover, the running lines ran in the garden , they were under covers too.
It was a superb piece of LMS, with an LNER branch.
It was a once in a lifetime experience thanks to the L&Y Society.
Chris.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sandhole said:

That's the beast, thanks.
The stations were undercover, the running lines ran in the garden , they were under covers too.
It was a superb piece of LMS, with an LNER branch.
It was a once in a lifetime experience thanks to the L&Y Society.
Chris.

A quick Google has brought up that, 'Day Trip To Diggle' is in Layout Topics on here.
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Some news on the signalling front.

Spurred by the recent arrival from Narrow Planet (who are now called Light Railway Stores) of two more sets of etched lever numbers, I got the Pentowan lever frame files out today and tidied up a few details before sending them off to Graeme in Queensland for him to check and try to beat the interlocking. Hopefully, he will fail as the design is very similar to where we were last year before SigScribe refused to play nicely any more (it behaved just as badly today. I've given up).

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Some news on the signalling front.

Spurred by the recent arrival from Narrow Planet (who are now called Light Railway Stores) of two more sets of etched lever numbers, I got the Pentowan lever frame files out today and tidied up a few details before sending them off to Graeme in Queensland for him to check and try to beat the interlocking. Hopefully, he will fail as the design is very similar to where we were last year before SigScribe refused to play nicely any more (it behaved just as badly today. I've given up).

Yo Sainty

U is an engineer, so what is this given up malarkey?

Go to your tool box and pick out an appropriate 'ammer and fix the bl**dy thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As for nursing, I was great at catheteriziation, enemas, debriding dirty wounds, venipuncture and using leaches. 

When Deb was in the rehab hospital at Le Mans after her car crash, she quickly discovered that the most proficient nurse at providing her daily anti-phlebitic injection was Pierre, the only male, who really had the knack. In the end he taught her to do it herself on the weekends when she was home, avoiding dragging out the local nurse, who had more pressing patients, we suspected.

Not all female nurses are angels, and the one who removed my morphine drip a few weeks back left bruising that is still just about visible. I suppose the fact that she spoke better English than my French helped a bit, though. Being de-catheterised is also a daunting moment, but the mature lady in the urology clinic proved able to do it so comfortably. As she needed to do it more than once, I was grateful. The nurse/operator at the MRI scan seemed unmoved by my obvious intense pain getting on and off the scanner trolley.

Getting old virtually guarantees meeting more such people, sadly. But not getting old has its drawbacks, too! 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Sainty

U is an engineer, so what is this given up malarkey?

Go to your tool box and pick out an appropriate 'ammer and fix the bl**dy thing.

Buqqering around with computers ain't engineering, rough or otherwise.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Nice work.

Are those Wills bricks?

Thanks Nick. No, they're the brick parts from two Ratio GWR signal box kits. The plan (which is working so far) is to use two Ratio 552 kits, plus a few other odds and ends like the mall Ratio 139 windows, to make something that is similar to Par signal box without being an exact replica. I particularly wanted to use the small window openings with the arched tops and sloping sills, which are on the long wall with the door to the locking room. The other long wall will be concealed up to window height by the platform, so the rather ropy cutting and shutting doesn't matter! The floor, which holds the whole lot together, is also made from the two Ratio floors.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

In other news, I'm contemplating pre-ordering a Rails Metro-Vick gas turbine to replace my ancient Q Kit...

I think that would be the kindest thing to do.  Is that a Kerosene Castle by the way?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I think that would be the kindest thing to do.  Is that a Kerosene Castle by the way?

Tim, strictly speaking Kerosene Castle was the original Brown-Boveri GT, 18000, which is on the point of arriving at Rails and of which I have one on order. The second, MetroVick, loco was 18100, which Rails have just announced.

My Q Kit version of 18100 has great sentimental value, as I built it from a damaged kit that Mike Cole (owner of Q Kits and a fellow member of Leeds MRS) sold to me for a very reasonable price. It's had about three chassis over the last 45 years but I've never been able to make it run properly and the standard of finish is definitely not 21st century. Consequently, if I buy a Rails one (which is probable), the old kit will be retired but not scrapped.

As far as I know, neither of the GTs ran in Cornwall but mine will because, as I mentioned a page or so back, in Mid-Cornwall things happen slightly differently from the rest of the known world...

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Tim, strictly speaking Kerosene Castle was the original Brown-Boveri GT, 18000, which is on the point of arriving at Rails and of which I have one on order. The second, MetroVick, loco was 18100, which Rails have just announced.

My Q Kit version of 18100 has great sentimental value, as I built it from a damaged kit that Mike Cole (owner of Q Kits and a fellow member of Leeds MRS) sold to me for a very reasonable price. It's had about three chassis over the last 45 years but I've never been able to make it run properly and the standard of finish is definitely not 21st century. Consequently, if I buy a Rails one (which is probable), the old kit will be retired but not scrapped.

As far as I know, neither of the GTs ran in Cornwall but mine will because, as I mentioned a page or so back, in Mid-Cornwall things happen slightly differently from the rest of the known world...

If you can magic a 'King' into Cornwall I can see nowt wrong with doing the same for 18100 with an axle load (if evenly distributed) of just over 21t 11cwt so almost 19cwt less than the maximum axleload of a 'King' (but 1t 11cwt more than the heaviest axle loadings of a D6XX)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Sundown & Sprawling?

24 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

That's showing your age Mr Dudders ;)

23 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Nearly as old as you, I think!

@Barry O and I joined LMRS in 1976, when we were students at Leeds University, so we're much younger than either of you! By that time, Sundown and Sprawling had become a permanent garden railway at Mike's home. I never saw the 60ft long straight end-to-end exhibition version, although many of Mike's locos and stock were regular performers on the club's Leeds Victoria layout:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1