Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Could they have been related one wonders?  Was Tassie a free state (like S Aus) or conscripts?  (Hoping I’ve got my history right about the free state!)

Paul.

I have a VERY distant relative who was deported to Oz, from Bodmin Goal. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 23/10/2021 at 10:17, St Enodoc said:

I think it will start with "Great" and end with "Consols" but I'm still mulling over the bit in the middle. I have one strong idea but if anyone comes up with a better one I'll think about changing it.

Ford?

b7a4cb91ce8cd123cffbc0b27ab3ee1cf1277e9b

• Like 8
  • Funny 7

On 23/10/2021 at 15:37, St Enodoc said:

2051512743_20211023006oldenginehouse.JPG.fed133e1aa7f02ed013556f1e8b347bb.JPG

The Kernow/Bachmann engine house will go between the Treloggan Junction Branch track and the backscene. I think I have a name for this but I haven't decided finally yet.

This page:

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/funny-punny-inappropriate-place-names-5785420.amp

includes a picture titled "Snow at Ding D0ng mine in West Cornwall", which looks remarkably like St. Enodoc's model.

Coincidence ... or conspiracy?

Edited by aardvark
Hmm ... The nanny filter doesn't like the second word in the name of this mine.
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, aardvark said:

This page:

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/funny-punny-inappropriate-place-names-5785420.amp

includes a picture titled "Snow at Ding D0ng mine in West Cornwall", which looks remarkably like St. Enodoc's model.

Coincidence ... or conspiracy?

I rather like " Touch Me Pipes" from that article, and I always enjoyed the village name of "Cox" (nanny filter alternative spelling) when I was traveling to and from Perranporth*

* the only place I have ever seen a glow worm.

Edited by Tim Dubya
I am not available for that sort of thing, even in Cornwall.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

At the end of my Lower 6th year at skool in Surrey, 1965, the French teacher emigrated - to Tasmania. Yes, he was Cornish. Learning to pronounce French from a Cornishman was not the best start....

Growing up on a farm near Stithians, pronounced Stidians, in the 1950's I developed quite a strong Cornish accent, which is still obvious but not as pronounced. In my first year at the grammar school in Falmouth I was told by the French teacher that I would have difficulty in speaking French for just that reason.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tankerman said:

Growing up on a farm near Stithians, pronounced Stidians, in the 1950's I developed quite a strong Cornish accent, which is still obvious but not as pronounced. In my first year at the grammar school in Falmouth I was told by the French teacher that I would have difficulty in speaking French for just that reason.

You could've tried Breton instead.

In my final A level German year, we (only two of us) were taught by a very attractive young German girl on a student placement (Christa from Stuttgart. Obsessed? Me?). She certainly brightened up the drudgery of analysing Duerrenmatt, Haussmann, and the rest.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 25/10/2021 at 07:34, St Enodoc said:

Indeed. East of Adelaide in SA there is a heritage mining area centred on the town of Callington.

https://www.samininghistory.com/sa-mining-heritage/

Our most well known ex Cornish mining towns are Burra and Moonta, as mentioned in the web reference. Out of curiosity I lived in Rosevear St, Hawthorn here in Adelaide after we emigrated in 1964, until 1978.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

18000 arrived from Sheffield today.

Unboxing later (no video).

Unboxed, no drama. Everything present and correct. Currently running in (DC) on the rolling road.

So far, I'm impressed.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

DC running complete - 15 minutes in each direction at each of half- and full-speed. Very smooth with a tiny amount of vibration, which I put down to the rolling road roller rather than the loco. The motor is quiet too, with all the sound coming from the noise of the wheels on the rollers. There's no sign of anything getting hot either.

After dinner I'll probably fit the decoder then try the loco on the layout tomorrow.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I fitted the LokPilot 5 21-pin decoder to 18000 as planned. No problem getting the body off, although the blanking plate needed a little persuasion to let go, and programming with DecoderPro was simple as always.

The body went back on easily too but the screws for the fuel tank were a lot tighter to put in than to take out. I managed in the end but if they give me any trouble in future then I'll get rid of them and use a bit of Black Tack instead.

A satisfying couple of hours' work.

I feel a pre-order for 18100 coming on, to replace my "heritage" Q kit.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I feel a pre-order for 18100 coming on, to replace my "heritage" Q kit.

If I did that (and 18000) it would feel as if there were more specials than correct locos (having D600, Kestrel, Falcon and a Clayton on a 70s WR/LMR layout).

But it’s tempting!

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
On 14/08/2021 at 11:31, St Enodoc said:

1521712281_20210814006TLtrackbedcomplete.JPG.ab4268440f504268eaf0a9093af8c6db.JPG

Going back to your use of DCC Concepts foam trackbed.  It looks like you separate it into two parts when laying curves.  Do you use the preformed cut, to do you measure and cut your own line?

I ask because (1) the preformed cut seems to be off set on my batch, and (2) I can’t seem to line my straightedge to their line sufficiently accurately!

Paul.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Going back to your use of DCC Concepts foam trackbed.  It looks like you separate it into two parts when laying curves.  Do you use the preformed cut, to do you measure and cut your own line?

I ask because (1) the preformed cut seems to be off set on my batch, and (2) I can’t seem to line my straightedge to their line sufficiently accurately!

Paul.

I use the preformed cut, Paul. I fold the strip along the cut a couple of times then just tear it. You're right, the cut's not always dead centre but it's close enough for me on the batches I have, with a variation of no more than +/- 2mm or so.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

18000 had a successful trial run today.

Having seen yours in black and gwrrob’s in green, I find the black rather attractive.

21 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Branch passenger sets, all 13 coaches of them

22 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Polperran, where the sidings are gradually filling up.

That’s a lot of trains!

Paul.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Pleased you had a positive experience with 18000 John. Much the same as mine. As you say the 'top speed' is quite low but that doesn't matter a jot for us in the Duchy!

Other than front bufferbeam detail I haven't detailed mine yet. I think it was Rob who suggested that Modelu might be doing a crew so I think I'll wait for that and then do the rest. The loco is crying out for some light weathering so once I'm happy it will go on the - ever longer - list to be taken over to Grimey Times.

Funny trains... I have an A3, A2, Deltic, 37 on some CDAs plus some Scottish diesels. I also have a Bachmann Baldwin 2-6-2... it's tempting to hard wire a chip into that... There's also an A4 but the valve gear falls to bits when it runs. Not to mention a couple of Lynton and Barnstaple Manning Wardles!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

I find the black rather attractive

Yes, I like the black and silver livery too. I think it looked good on all the early internal-combustion locos.

20 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

That’s a lot of trains!

There's more! One of the features of Pentowan, like the real Newquay, will be the extensive carriage sidings. I haven't worked out exactly how many I can fit in to stable about 40 coaches at a time but I think it will be around 7 to 9 sidings of different lengths, between 2 and 7 coaches each.

Pentowan will have its own station pilot, namely D3510 on loan for the summer from Truro shed. Pentowan will be very busy, especially on Saturdays, and will probably be the place that regulates the whole layout.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I use the preformed cut, Paul. I fold the strip along the cut a couple of times then just tear it. You're right, the cut's not always dead centre but it's close enough for me on the batches I have, with a variation of no more than +/- 2mm or so.

Just tried it.  So much easier and the small tear marks make the ‘centre’ line more visible for track laying.

Thank you.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1