'Bishop Street'

georgeT

Well l was looking for some 0 gauge kits today and l have found that a lot of the suppliers are gone ? or going ? 

That's probably because the likes of Dapol, Lionheart, and Heljan do such a good job at such a good price.

Well not a great start to 2016, first the plan l had for early retirement has fallen through, so there will be no extra finance for my new planned 0 gauge venture, so that will have to wait another year or so, so then l thought l would try and sell BS as l really have lost all interest in it, so l have been talking to a few interested guys, but at the end of the day the money offered for BS would not be enough to finance the next venture ? so l will be lifting and re-using the track which is all brand new, and re-use the baseboard so the new venture is all bought and paid for..

The new venture will be a BLT again called 'Swindley' and will be based around the end of steam so l can run some blue 33s with some grubby steam locos, also l will be ditching DCC as l am not that impressed with sound, or operating a dozen or so locos together really cant see the point, plus l hate taking locos apart to fit chips etc etc, l can never seem to get them back together without breaking something off, so DC is for me, l know a lot of followers will think me insane, but at the end of the day if you are not happy with it what's the point..

l would like to thank everyone who has supported and helped in the building of BS thanks guys...

l know a lot of followers will think me insane, but at the end of the day if you are not happy with it what's the point..

Yep.

Very true though...

You do have to follow your heart, that's for sure.

• RMweb Premium

Well not a great start to 2016, first the plan l had for early retirement has fallen through, so there will be no extra finance for my new planned 0 gauge venture, so that will have to wait another year or so, so then l thought l would try and sell BS as l really have lost all interest in it, so l have been talking to a few interested guys, but at the end of the day the money offered for BS would not be enough to finance the next venture ? so l will be lifting and re-using the track which is all brand new, and re-use the baseboard so the new venture is all bought and paid for..

The new venture will be a BLT again called 'Swindley' and will be based around the end of steam so l can run some blue 33s with some grubby steam locos, also l will be ditching DCC as l am not that impressed with sound, or operating a dozen or so locos together really cant see the point, plus l hate taking locos apart to fit chips etc etc, l can never seem to get them back together without breaking something off, so DC is for me, l know a lot of followers will think me insane, but at the end of the day if you are not happy with it what's the point..

l would like to thank everyone who has supported and helped in the building of BS thanks guys...

Miserable git................welcome to the club :mosking:

George, I fully understand where you are and look forward to your next layout. :good:

Hi George, sorry to here of the demise of BS. Maybe you need a longer gestation period at the planning stage. I remember looking at CQ's empty baseboards for about 6 months while we were planning the track layout wondering if anything would ever get built. It seems to have paid off though as, although it's not perfect (are they ever), it's given us many pleasurable hours of entertainment both at home and exhibition. Theres one small change that i'd like to make but thats not going to happen until the invites dry up. By then i'll probably sell it to make room for the next layout. Baseboards built, and track plan 12 months in the making and counting..... :O

Thanks Pete, Clive & Ray, l really did enjoy building BS, but must admit l did get bored very quickly with it, as there was no real point to it, just four lines with a couple of cross over's just to run trains through so l decided to scrap it in the end, yes l could have sold it complete but on the cheap, so what l have done is to sell of all the bits, like the factories and the station and the bridge at the other end all sold now, so l will re-use all the track and the base board to build my next venture..

l have sold all my stock today, but have kept three Heljan class 33s (2x Blue 1x Green) and a Bachmann class 47 in two-tone green for possible use on the new venture, today l also bought a new Bachmann jinty 47673 (weathered) and a loco l have always loved another Bachmann loco 7904 a modified Hall (weathered) 'Fountains Hall'...

post-7716-0-94536800-1452099205_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-03700400-1452099209_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-91558900-1452099212_thumb.jpg

That's good George, so both can run on Pencarne and West Shed. :sungum:

Wait a minute :O

Oh no they cant :O  :O 

No DCC :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  

Hahahaha So nice to get them out of the box and run them, without having to stick bloody chips in em' lovely...

Sorry to hear of your decision George, but if your heart's not in it then it will never really interest you, so it's a very wise call to move on. :yes:

Good luck with the new venture(s)!

Thanks,

Jack.

Evening George,

Not insane at all mate - there is no point whatsoever if you're not enjoying it any more. I would point out that the last couple of layouts you built all appear to have given you a great deal of pleasure in the build, but not in the 'playing' - perhaps you should consider just building saleable versions that you can move on as they complete? HaHaHa!! I've learned so much from your threads over the last couple of years, and if I ever get started, I shall be sticking to DC, and can't get excited over more than one loco running at a time on a steam shed layout. Each to their own!

Whatever you decide mate, I wish you luck and lots of fun from it as you work hard enough for your leisure time. I look forward to the development of 'Swindley', where did the name come from as a matter of interest?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Evening George,

Not insane at all mate - there is no point whatsoever if you're not enjoying it any more. I would point out that the last couple of layouts you built all appear to have given you a great deal of pleasure in the build, but not in the 'playing' - perhaps you should consider just building saleable versions that you can move on as they complete? HaHaHa!! I've learned so much from your threads over the last couple of years, and if I ever get started, I shall be sticking to DC, and can't get excited over more than one loco running at a time on a steam shed layout. Each to their own!

Whatever you decide mate, I wish you luck and lots of fun from it as you work hard enough for your leisure time. I look forward to the development of 'Swindley', where did the name come from as a matter of interest?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock, DONT ASK, I did, now I know, hahhahah :O

And as for Steam Locos on Shed, just wait till you've seen / HEARD the Jubilee, Black 5 and 8F hissing away quietly on West Shed, and the moving off to a gentle Chuff.

Evening George,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Evening Jock, l must admit l thought DCC was going to be the bee knees and the way forward and would make everything perform better, but alas its not true, and l could not really see the point, yes l know you can add sound, but l really hate the awful horn sounds on diesels drives me mad and the start up, plus l can never replace the body after fitting a chip without breaking something off, hahahaha, hope you are feeling much better tonight ?..

The name 'Swindley' comes after my favourite actor Arthur Lowe, when he was in Coronation Street many years ago, (not that l watch it, (hahahahaha) ...

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear your retirement plans haven't worked out mate.

Regarding Bishop Street, I think you are one of those folk who get most enjoyment out of planning and building a layout, rather than running it once it's built. To a certain extent, I think I'm the same, although Bakewell isn't yet ready for prolonged playing, I keep seeing bits to finish!

I also agree with you about DC / DCC. Thus far, Bakewell has been run on DC, and I've been able to run trains quite happily. As it happens, one of my goals was to end up with a computer controlled layout, so for that reason only, I'm now starting to investigate DCC. I also agree that for the most part DCC Steam sound is not yet good enough to interest me.

I look forward to seeing you build Swindley, like Jock, I've learned an awful lot from you about how to build things, and I'm sure that will continue.

All the best,

Al.

Sorry to hear your retirement plans haven't worked out mate.

Regarding Bishop Street, I think you are one of those folk who get most enjoyment out of planning and building a layout, rather than running it once it's built. To a certain extent, I think I'm the same, although Bakewell isn't yet ready for prolonged playing, I keep seeing bits to finish!

I also agree with you about DC / DCC. Thus far, Bakewell has been run on DC, and I've been able to run trains quite happily. As it happens, one of my goals was to end up with a computer controlled layout, so for that reason only, I'm now starting to investigate DCC. I also agree that for the most part DCC Steam sound is not yet good enough to interest me.

I look forward to seeing you build Swindley, like Jock, I've learned an awful lot from you about how to build things, and I'm sure that will continue.

All the best,

Al.

Thanks for the kind words Al, l do enjoy the build rather than the play, always have, but in truth there is not a lot of playing with trains of today as the trains are much bigger now, take a coal train in the 60s had about ten to fifteen tons per wagon, today you have 100 ton coal hoppers and about 40 of them on one train,

What l am thinking of now is a small village BLT which had about 3 or 4 trains a day, with some goods workings to a small shed or similar, so 'Swindley' will be on the S&D somewhere so l can play with 0-6-0 jintys and a few Ex-GWR tank locos where l will only need half a dozen locos at most, a few coaches and a handful of wagons, the Hall l bought today was impulsive as l have never had a Hall and shes lovely, and she might appear at 'Swindley' on a summer saturday special from Plymouth, who knows hahahaha

Archived