Transacord

coronach

Thank you for those replies.

Perhaps it is because I may be the only old  f%$£ still using Windows XP

My unzipped ATR7049.zip  'Trains in the Night'  files looked like this - nothing else apart from the sound files.

post-21705-0-30126400-1423419905_thumb.jpg

I shall try emailing the Transacord site tomorrow

dh

• RMweb Premium

Win 7 looks the same, RAR.  No reply from last week's e mail unfortunately, I really want to get all of these recordings but......I NEED the notes.  The whole thing becomes a picture in my mind when I read them in conjunction with the recordings.  I do have about 2/3rd of the albums and EP's ever released, but they are in storage currently so I can't access the sleeve notes.

Win 7 looks the same, RAR.  .... The whole thing becomes a picture in my mind when I read them in conjunction with the recordings.

Thanks for that Neil.

Yes I do agree about the WHOLE pic - in the meantime I'm guessing at whether I'm hearing a Stanier 2-6-4T banking up past Scout Green and a 2-6-2T likewise on the back up Gresford bank. (Its rather like listening out at night for 3 cylinder A3s compared to 8Fs in my tent up at Ribblehead in my potholing days) :scratchhead:

:senile:

dh

I thought some would like to read the prompt reply from Russell Hedges of 'transacord' to my email asking about the notes to accompany 'Trains in the Night'.

When I receive them I will post again. In the meantime I shall have to continue guessing at what I'm hearing ... :scratchhead:

dh

From Russell Hedges (transacord@btinternet.com)

11/02/2015

Dear David, thank you for your enquiry. Ours is a new venture but we have quickly realised that the sleeve notes are very important so where we have them we are going to add them to the MP3 files. This may take sometime to organise but we will keep your request on file and send them to you as soon as they are available.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: catalog@transacord.co.uk 
Sent: Tuesday, 10 February 2015, 10:37
Subject: TRANSACORD -- Problem with digital download

Message: Delighted to read of this digitised revival of Peter Handford's wonderful Transacord recordings. I wish you every success.
Could I please enquire: How do I obtain the notes to the 'Trains in the Night' recordings I purchased using Paypal on Sunday 8 Feb. I am enjoying the audio downloads but do I get the notes emailed separately from you?
Regards 
daveh

Thanks to this thread I've been reacquainted with Transacord recordings. It was a chance purchase of the LP "Railway to Riccarton" in the mid 70's that was a catalyst for a couple of colleagues and myself visiting the line to seek out location possibilities to enable us to build a scale 4mm layout.

I recall we began at Whitrope summit on a sunny April Saturday morning and began by walking right through the then rail less but still open tunnel to the other end. The tunnel was bare except midway through we came across a burnt out car. After returning and taking a break we then set off to walk down the track bed to Riccarton Jct  passing under a number of typical Waverly route wooden footbridges and photos taken. Suddenly the weather changed and we were enveloped in a quite a heavy snow shower having to hold hands with each other to avoid wandering off in all directions. After about ten minutes the weather eased as we approached what was left of Riccarton Junction which entailed the Main platform, some station buildings but also the abandoned South end Signal Box. Keen to get into cover we opened one of the doors leading into the station building only to come face to face to what looked like a dozen so wild goats so despite the weather outside we made a hasty retreat. In fact the sun reappeared and we spent an hour or so just trying to imagine what it must have been like in steam days. Steps leading up to the South end SB were still in place and I can tell you the vista from within the bare confines of the Signal box were spectacular.

From this lofty vantage point it must have been wondrous place to see a northbound V2 hauled freight appear into view under Arton Fell blasting its way uphill towards the isolated junction. Of course a couple of years later the SB, station buildings and platform were demolished but the memories remain fresh from that April day.

After further visits to the southern end of the Waverly route we felt Riccarton Junction would have been too ambitious a first project and in the end we choose Stobs Station which went on the exhibition circuit for a couple of years before being retired and ending up with the owners of Stobs Station house. Our second Waverley project was "Riddings Junction" which was also well received. When that was retired in late 90's I gave up on 4mm and moved to O gauge.

Listening to the MP3 tracks have brought back some happy memories of visits to the abandoned line and efforts to do it justice in model form

Regards

Bob

Edited by Silverstreak
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just listening to 'Engines from Derby and Crewe' for the first time - What can I say - Brilliant ! - And the files include images of the LP jacket sleeves

I saw a copy of the LP in the Oxfam bookstore in Bath a few years ago but didn't buy it - It sold within the week. 

In particular the sequence of trains at Bletchley (Duchesses, LMS compound, Royal Scot) complete with station announcements; and three unrebuilt Patriots (45550, 45504 and 45507) at Tebay and Scout Green - I've never heard one of these before.  Now I know what 'The Unknown Warrior' will sound like when it is finished.

I am (hopefully) looking forward to re-release of the LNER Album which I once had on cassette tape but which wore out.  It included recordings made at Selby, including K3s and B16s on the swing-bridge.  It isn't the same track-list as the more recent CD, which I also have.

post-11545-0-77631500-1425678634_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have just bought the Railway to Riccarton LP - it is brilliant and I am only on band 4 - B1 61341 plodding slowly upgrade with rods ringing at Steele Road. I can now add sound to the excellent pictures in Roger Siviter's book  Waverley, Portrait of a Famous Route.

Got to go now and concentrate on listening to V2 being banked by a standard 2 disturbing the crows. DCC sound has a long way to go!!

• 1 year later...

Nothing seems to been released for over a year now.

I'm waiting for 'Engines in Germany'and 'Steam on the Bundesbahn' but nothing has appeared.

I submitted a (positive) review for 'Great Eastern' a couple of months ago but this has not appeared as yet.

'The Great Eastern' is one of the recordings released without sleeve notes.

If anybody is interested I found this on the web.

Locomotives of the former Great Eastern Railway at work in Eastern England.

Track One Lineside recordings on the Haverhill - Long Melford Line.

A Journey with a J.15. to Bury-St-Edmunds.

Track Two At Ely Station.

Track Three A journey with a Claud from Newmarket to Kennett.

Track Four At Brundall station and a B.I2. on the Southend line.

Track Five A journey with a Claud from Cantley to Yarmouth.

Track Six At Cambridge Station

Track Seven At South Lynn station.

Edited by dick rowland

• RMweb Premium

Found this online for the Southern Steam album, hope it is of use! I can see a relationship to some of the download for this but have asked for a jpeg of the sleeve notes.post-2173-0-95124400-1460102093_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianmaccormac

• 4 weeks later...

I checked the site this morning. There does not seem to have been any progress for quite sometime. The review I submitted weeks ago has still not appeared. The 'new items for the month' does not, in fact, include anything new', it just lists the files which have been around since last year. I sincerely hope this project will continue to present more of Peter's excellent recordings. As soon as 'Engines on the Bundesbahn' and 'Steam in Germany' appear I, for one, will snap them up!

Edited by dick rowland

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

http://www.transacord.co.uk

Just enjoyed 2 hours of listening to 'real' steam sounds recorded by Peter Handford in the 1950s and 60s whilst undertaking some modelling.  Really inspiring stuff...  I particularly enjoyed Pacific Power, with a procession of A1s, A4s and Duchesses plus German and French pacifics in the early 70s.  At £3 each for an LP formatted as MP3, a bargain :-)

I note that Transacord have published the sleeve notes of all of the material on their website.

Coronach

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm pleased to report that further MP3 downloads from the Peter Handford archive are now available including: 'LNER', 'This is York', 'Somerset & Dorset' and three albums of SNCF locomotive recordings

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if someone can help me please with resetting my password for Transacord. I’ve clicked on the link provided, but I have received no email. I’ve tried doing that four times with no email received. I can’t find my password anywhere. I would like to purchase This Is York.

Thank you for any help that can be given.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if someone can help me please with resetting my password for Transacord. I’ve clicked on the link provided, but I have received no email. I’ve tried doing that four times with no email received. I can’t find my password anywhere. I would like to purchase This Is York.

Thank you for any help that can be given.

Best regards,

Rob.

I don't use a login or password. It is possible to purchase them without one. This is York is a good choice

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, coronach and Torper. I think that’s what I must have done all those years ago. I have now got an account set up using a different email address, and have successfully purchased This Is York.

Thank you both for your help, it’s very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Rob.

• 1 year later...

I discovered this thread only after happening to see, and buy, a copy of the "Great Eastern" LP ... which I then prompted swayed me toward buying a turntable - I'd been considering for a while, but thought was just too much of a hipster cliche! I had no idea these digital recordings had been released - and the fact they're meant to be properly re-mastered sounds very promising. 

Unfortunately the website seems to be down now - "the digital download store is currently unavailable - it will return later this year". Doesn't sound promising :(

Managed to pickup the 10-inch "The Watlington Branch Line" and the 12-inch "The West Highland Line" in a local antique/junk shop a couple of weeks ago, both Transacord  - 50p each. Not in perfect condition but bad at all. 

• RMweb Premium
On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 10:00, justin1985 said:

I discovered this thread only after happening to see, and buy, a copy of the "Great Eastern" LP ... which I then prompted swayed me toward buying a turntable - I'd been considering for a while, but thought was just too much of a hipster cliche! I had no idea these digital recordings had been released - and the fact they're meant to be properly re-mastered sounds very promising. 

Unfortunately the website seems to be down now - "the digital download store is currently unavailable - it will return later this year". Doesn't sound promising :(

Yes, I noticed that last week - I hope they relaunch it again - around 35 albums were available before it went off line

• 1 year later...
On 18/06/2019 at 10:00, justin1985 said:

No change still as of today.  Very sad, I wonder what happened?  If you can time it right and it suits your modelling these recordings are better than sound files contained within engines.

• Agree 1