4mm. scale Ivatt self-weighing tender body in resin?

cctransuk

I am sure that I read on this forum, a few weeks ago, about a forthcoming resin cast Ivatt self-weighing tender body, to be a direct fit to an RTR chassis.

Did I dream this? I cannot find the original posting, despite a lot of forum searching !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

Hello John,

Not sure if this is what you stumbled across, it is as 3D Print I am developing rather than resin cast.

Still needs a fair bit of work.

attachicon.gifSWT 009.png

attachicon.gifSWT 009a.png

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Wild Boar,

That's the one - if it becomes available for sale, please let me know.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

John.

• 6 years later...

Its actually not too challenging to do.  There was a drawing in March 2016 Railway Modeller.  That article has all details but says there are no photos of the tender front.  "the Stanier 4-6-0s of the LMS" (Rowledge & Reed) p70 has one.

The tender is wonderfully angular so easy to do from plasticard.  I scanned and printed the drawing, flipped and printed again. Then used 10 though transparent film and pressed the rivets through, glued to the sides and made a mould.  I did the same for one of the hybrid 3500 slab sided tenders but less successfully .   Right, I've never attached photos - but here goes. Iphone at night and i seem to have had some coal discolour... Tender, Master and QC fail..

IMG_4457.jpg.a6c70ce78e942e54af14772251e8daa7.jpgIMG_4456.jpg.057651958db318759894da46df581fd8.jpgIMG_4458.jpg.c911b53a23259f4583c4c62203bcb9a6.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 5

As it happens in the last few days decided to try and return to 3D printing with a new machine. 

I have tried the first few print on it today and have included the above tender body in the test prints. I will aim to post a photo tomorrow of the result, it needs some optimisation (it wasn't designed for this technology) but shows some promise. 

I can't say at this stage whether I'll go into production or not when finished. 

Kind Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

I did one of these in 7mm a few months ago as a kit for Radley Models. It sold out quickly.

IMG_8288.JPGThe axleboxes are the later Ivatt type [non-roller bearing] and the sluice/sludge filters are a pattern unique to this type of tender.

Edited by Arun Sharma
incompleteness
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

A very quick and crude test print of the original CAD file, please note that I am aware of quite a few issues with the print, which I hope to steadily resolve. Post printing I have not cleaned up the support marks and it has had a quick blast of primer and black. Therefore this is not representative of a finalised tender print. 

20210202_164923.jpg.b1bf224c3c8c3f007a7d4df84c3e2117.jpg

20210202_164938.jpg.a1c40037969ca1a165af427492cd5bd7.jpg

Kind Regards, 

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

57 minutes ago, Wild Boar Fell said:

A very quick and crude test print of the original CAD file, please note that I am aware of quite a few issues with the print, which I hope to steadily resolve. Post printing I have not cleaned up the support marks and it has had a quick blast of primer and black. Therefore this is not representative of a finalised tender print. 

20210202_164923.jpg.b1bf224c3c8c3f007a7d4df84c3e2117.jpg

20210202_164938.jpg.a1c40037969ca1a165af427492cd5bd7.jpg

Kind Regards, 

Wild Boar Fell

This seems to have considerable promise - please put me down for one, if and when they become available.

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Going through some old copies of Backtrack filleting out what is of interest to me and I noted a colour picture of one of these behind Black 5 45081.  Maybe particularly useful as it is a rear three-quarter shot from a slightly elevated position.

Cannot post here because of copyright but the picture is by Jim Carter and near Winnick Junction.  Undated, but the later crest on the tender and the first wagon has a VW camper type van on it (only partly in the frame).  It's on page 601 of Vol. 18, No. 10 (October 2004) if anyone is keen to see it and has access to back numbers.  Sorry if a bit esoteric but it seems a good shot from perhaps a rather unusual angle, and it's in colour!

• 2 years later...