New to O and planning first layout

Axel.Richardson

I have used Peco and Cobalt ones - and love the cobalt ones - for 32mm and larger gauges (they are great for LGB and allow tram style point setting, where locos can work through a point set against them)

the action is nice and slow, ferly quiet and doesn't slam across like the peco ones. downside is that the system remains live, but you can wire it up with DPDT switches (which I rebuilt to look like a ground frame for LGB) for me the DPDT is useful, as I have a 3 year old operating it! it also allows you to do away with the over the centre springs.

I haven't experimented with its polarity switching abilities... but, horrors, I have butchered one to make a disc and bar signal rotate through 90 degrees nicely. - I suspect it would operate a door, gate or level crossing very well

down side is they are not cheap, which grates against my £0 budget approach to my modelling - but I did have them left over from another project!

I've only used Peco/Hornby and seep motors before.

I'm still struggling to choose what to go for, I may yet fall back on the seep motors as I have several left over from my OO layout.

If you don't mind manual turnout switching (i.e. - not a point motor) a friend just picked a few of these up and seems to like them...  I'm planning on using them for my On3 modules...

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/BullFrog-Manual-Turnout-Control-Unassembled-p/bf-0002.htm

BTW - for brass kit building, I strongly suggest you look at Connoisseur's "Skill Builder" kits.  A Loriot was my first attempt at brass kit building, and Jim's instructions REALLY helped me...

Mike

Nice idea, May have to have a better look at one. Thanks

I've spent a bit of time watching some videos on hop to build kits. I'm not so worried about the forming parts but more the soldering, I'm just useless at soldering

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

Been quiet for a while, not progressed much with the layout as I've decided to make it double the lengths I am fiddling around with plans.

Ive resonantly done a o gauge diorama for a club modelling comp.

This is my fist proper attempt at modelling in O gauge so would like to share the pictures with you

D6DA8C0D-E4E4-4940-B374-EB8BBA764F25_zps

143B7179-20E8-470C-BC17-C2F3C7F66259_zps

604D5AAA-BF83-4EF4-B534-A65D9FE6CFC3_zps

EF1B437D-A4A9-4E3C-962D-11EB3D1325F7_zps

7DC0C8E4-EFF0-4F75-94D9-C8D3D0FCFA84_zps

0E74D38E-486D-4AAA-8572-9D0D6D0B9BBF_zps

074BAB54-C597-4BDB-B74B-6DB7A32428B2_zps

4A0EE992-22A4-4C64-9B3D-DC6918DD4B30_zps

5F6053AF-046A-4F3B-87E4-408EE8304B97_zps

EC64BB6B-C017-4AB0-AD17-A6EE143F2C52_zps

Hope you like.

I think your diorama is quite superb - the Scenics are beautiful, and very well observed.

Very much looking forward to anything else you do!

Thanks Giles, I watched your videos on grass that helped a lot to achieve the effects. Very helpful and good description.

Very nice indeed. I spotted Hazel and Bigwig in the grass........

Thank you,

Yes there a few little critters to find, really add some interest.

Hi Axle "still a great name that", that scenery is superb, great job.

Happy modelling

Craig

Thanks Craig

Very nice indeed. I spotted Hazel and Bigwig in the grass........

Thank you,

Yes there a few little critters to find, really add some interest.

Hi Axle "still a great name that", that scenery is superb, great job.

Happy modelling

Craig

Thanks Craig

Thank you Chris, I'm working towards weathering some of my locos, still not confident to do it just yet.

Just think of them as a big wagon.

Your wagons look the part you defentley have the talent / skills so be brave try some weathering powers as a start on the loco as these can be cleaned off if not to your tastes I know that weathering a loco that costs so much makes one think twice but once you start and see the progress you won't want to stop.

Photos below of 2 of my Brass O scale New South Wales (Australia) 44 class locos the one with full yellow end on the left has a light dusting of powders these will just wipe off until sealed with a dulcote, The loco on the right 4427 has had the Air brush used and some dry brushing also some oil and grease wash around bogies and fuel tank. Plenty more to do on both locos

post-14985-0-01962800-1425810300_thumb.jpg

The grease and fuel oil weathering is a light dusting with the air brush then dry brush and washes for the stains then a even lighter dusting with the air brush

post-14985-0-62044300-1425810351_thumb.jpg

Paint used in the air brush was from testors model master acrylic range "loco dirty black" and "L&N gray" the washes are by Mig productions "grease" and "Dark stain".

For the powder weathering you can make up your own using artists chalks and pastels I get various types from the discount shops "hot dollar" here in OZ and shave the colours and then brush on or use soft applicators and the best tip with weathering have a Good size Colour photo of the subject so you can see the spots to target for the weathering

Even mixing colours to get subtle changes down the side of a wagon for example

Look forward to your progress with your layout good luck with the redesign

PS Axel if you can do the work you do with cars that I have seen on you photo page the trains are easy.

Hi Axel,

Cracking little diorama there and a good introduction into the scale, I imagine it has helped in getting a better feel for it. Was are the dimensions?

Cheers

Thanks, yes it has helped no end, I'm going to do a couple more dioramas just to get some more practice.

The size is 58"x20"

Just think of them as a big wagon.

Your wagons look the part you defentley have the talent / skills so be brave try some weathering powers as a start on the loco as these can be cleaned off if not to your tastes I know that weathering a loco that costs so much makes one think twice but once you start and see the progress you won't want to stop.

Photos below of 2 of my Brass O scale New South Wales (Australia) 44 class locos the one with full yellow end on the left has a light dusting of powders these will just wipe off until sealed with a dulcote, The loco on the right 4427 has had the Air brush used and some dry brushing also some oil and grease wash around bogies and fuel tank. Plenty more to do on both locos

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The grease and fuel oil weathering is a light dusting with the air brush then dry brush and washes for the stains then a even lighter dusting with the air brush

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Paint used in the air brush was from testors model master acrylic range "loco dirty black" and "L&N gray" the washes are by Mig productions "grease" and "Dark stain".

For the powder weathering you can make up your own using artists chalks and pastels I get various types from the discount shops "hot dollar" here in OZ and shave the colours and then brush on or use soft applicators and the best tip with weathering have a Good size Colour photo of the subject so you can see the spots to target for the weathering

Even mixing colours to get subtle changes down the side of a wagon for example

Look forward to your progress with your layout good luck with the redesign

PS Axel if you can do the work you do with cars that I have seen on you photo page the trains are easy.

Thanks Chris,

I find heavy weathering ok to do as you can't go to wrong, it's light realistic working grime I find hard to do right, I've tried before on 4mm stock.

I've got a few more O gauge wagons to do using different techniques and I'll give my cheapest loco the treatment first.

The new plan is coming together, I've done the track plan but it's bound to change.

Trains are a lot more relaxing than working on cars, it was also cheaper before I moved to O gauge

Archived