Level crossing adjacent to a terminus station

TomJ

Perhaps not quite what you seek, but consider the old layout at Lowestoft (Central), where there was a level crossing to the south side of the terminus, across London Road, for access to the fish and frozen warehouse docks. That, and the swing bridge, could shut the the town centre down for hours at a time!

Yes, definitely, but they are also the basis of the main reason why Pickering Town Council and most of the population (in my time living there anyway) will not support extension of the line south, towards Rillington Jn.

Absolutely, realistically its never going to happen, there's just too much traffic on the Helmsley road and the houses and businesses on the track bed will have issues as well.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. My apologies for not getting back sooner - been away from the keyboard! I have been doddling ideas for a possible future plan and one idea for a micro-ish layout was to have split levels - passengers raised up on an embankment at the back and freight at the front. Thinking about view blockers for the fiddleyard entry, one idea was a road bridge over the lower levels, which would mean a level crossing over the passenger throat. Obviously it would be an inconvenience but if it was only a minor access/private road it might just be plauisable. I think a bridge over an embankment would look daft, especially as it would tower over the lower level.

• RMweb Gold

Lymington Pier in Hampshire had a level crossing across the station throat for cars to gain access to the original berth for the Isle of Wight ferry.  It has changed with the building of the new RoRo berth and looking at Google maps, the crossing is still there, but appears to be for occasional access to the original berth.  I was there is 2013 and did not pay too much attention at the time  :scratchhead: .

The Lymington crossing is used when the ro-ro berth is u/s. I've taken both cars & vans over the crossing, when I used the bl**dy expensive Wightlink.....

Ian

Altrincham - sort of.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/0000-01-s-lathlane-altrincham.jpg

Platforms 1 and 2 initially ran through to Bowdon station (3 and 4 were always through to Chester)

Then after 1931 1500v electrification, they were through to Bowdon EMU shed.

Then after 25 kV conversion in 1969, they kinda became a terminus - but then in the mid-70s the crossing was removed and a flyover built.

So, kinda, briefly!

Altrincham - sort of.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/0000-01-s-lathlane-altrincham.jpg 

Platforms 1 and 2 initially ran through to Bowdon station (3 and 4 were always through to Chester)

Then after 1931 1500v electrification, they were through to Bowdon EMU shed.

Then after 25 kV conversion, they kinda became a terminus - but then in the mid-70s the crossing was removed and a flyover built.

So, kinda, briefly!

Sorry everyone, the link to a photo on David Hey's website is a cracker, but I don't seem to be able to get it to work! Can anyone help??

Archived