random pre-grouping questions

Ok, Guys (and Gals)

dumb buffered wagon, fairly freelance, but a pastiche of several I like, all card, except bought bearings and wheels.

anyone have an 1860s lime wagon? similar age chemical or other tanker? (if they had them)

More pics in my Gainford Spa bit in boxfiles.

post-11344-0-61175600-1422921612.jpg

Hello Cornamuse

Re your request for early chemical or other tanker, Woodham Wagon Works used to do one. I have a made-up

one somewhere. These kits are no longer available so I will try to find it amongst the 200+ wagons in boxes

and photograph it for this thread

Michael dJS

I like that it captures the look totally. I think when I get on top of my coach building (bodging) I might have a go at a few (When I say when I get on top of my coach builds that will be about 2020 then) Keep up the good work I'm very much enjoying this thread. Regards Steve

• RMweb Premium

Many liquid chemicals would have been transported in glass carboys or relatively small drums or canisters 1 to 5 gallon rather than the 45 gallon job of today.

The glass carboys would have been packed in an open top wood frame matrix and packed out with straw.

Andy's right about the use of carboys and small drums. I don't recall seeing an example of either a cylindrical or rectangular tank wagon much before about 1890, though I suspect rectangular tanks may go back a few years more. On the GWR, gas lighting was introduced around 1883/4 and the earliest gas tank wagons are from the same date.

As to lime, kilns were usually close to sources of limestone but, if it needed transporting, the stone would probably be in open wagons of no more than two or three planks or, perhaps, half loaded mineral wagons. Lime itself would be bagged and probably carried in well-sheeted opens. You certainly would not want it to exposed to rain or water. For this reason, it may have been transported in vans, even at an early period.

Nick

Andy's right about the use of carboys and small drums. I don't recall seeing an example of either a cylindrical or rectangular tank wagon much before about 1890, though I suspect rectangular tanks may go back a few years more. On the GWR, gas lighting was introduced around 1883/4 and the earliest gas tank wagons are from the same date.

As to lime, kilns were usually close to sources of limestone but, if it needed transporting, the stone would probably be in open wagons of no more than two or three planks or, perhaps, half loaded mineral wagons. Lime itself would be bagged and probably carried in well-sheeted opens. You certainly would not want it to exposed to rain or water. For this reason, it may have been transported in vans, even at an early period.

Nick

I recall seeing a photograph and drawing in Model Railways in about 1975-77 of an LBSC tank wagon c.1880 with an arch shaped tank - I'll post  the details if I come across it.

Is this the acid tanker that people have in mind?

The drawing, by Colin Binnie, was in MR Sept 1971 and portrayed a vehicle in the Brighton Works series, dated 1886. It was shown as belonging to Forbes, Abbott and Lennard, who ran a chemical works at Kingston Wharf and had a London address. The lettering may still be available in the POWSides range.

I hope that this helps.

Best wishes

Eric  

post-9472-0-57389000-1422997258_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Should anyone wonder, this week we have mostly made a 1 plank open dumb buffered waggon, fitted wooden brakes to the chaldron waggons - what a fuss, and black on black? I have to point them out.

Have also been working on the parts for a box chaldron waggon. thought it would be easier. Thought wrong!

Biggest result has been coupling hooks - card cutter, good quality card, 2 ply lamination using superglue... one sheet of A4 has made all I will ever need, they work a dream, and I genuinely cant make them break using just a coupling chain loop. Anyone with a cutter (or not) wants a copy, just let me know!

pics of stuff to follow. Can't seem to get the light right at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go - pics of the new dumb buffered wagon and the box chauldron waggon. The latter a bit of a nightmare, rather than being the easier version of a chauldron waggon, as I had hoped. oh well!

Hope you like!

post-11344-0-42957800-1426025285.jpg

post-11344-0-89571800-1426025299.jpg

post-11344-0-99697600-1426025310.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy

Had a look at your Topic and it´s beautifull.

Years ago I build a dutch/English loco in LGB scale and it is live steam. I Holland the name is NS8800  but I don´t know what number you give it ,  it came after the ww11 to Holland.

P1040928_zpss0oxjn1b.jpg

• 3 months later...

Another Question ....

Weedkiller. When did it start to be used? How green would a little station be in the 1860 / 70 time period? Currently it looks like a modern housing estate ...

Don't know abut weedkiller, but at that time there was plenty manpower to yank the weeds out!  You only have to look at how immaculately stations and track were kept.

Jim

I have seen, in the archives of the then Chipman company, a photo of two Victorian Navvies. One was standing on a small trolley on the rails with a stirrup pump and spray head to spray weeds. The other was pulling him along with a rope. There was no date but it is clearly in the nineteenth century going by clothing and beards. So spraying started perhaps much earlier than we all think.

Most, impressive.  Again, that balance between realism and whimsy that makes me smile and think of Madder Valley.

The chauldron wagon, the coal drops, the distinctive "Beamish" water tank, and 1840s Italianate station building (surely inspired by the Stockton & Darlington Ry. old North Road Station, Darlington), all suggest NER to me.

I would guess, therefore, a fine dark ash ballast over the sleeper tops would be what you intend. I imagine this was fairly inimical to plant, or any, life. In between tracks, in sidings etc, I would expect some weed growth nevertheless, but nothing like what we have become used too.

The water tower was probably a relative haven for plant life!

Thank you for being most generous, Mr E! And especially in the comparison to the Madder Valley. I suspect I have only managed the first syllable of that so far ... :D

The station building is indeed based on the North Road Station, just down the road from us, and the small controller's favourite museum. The intention is to portray a little company that are a feeder spur to the S and D, so you may even see Sans Pareil appear sometime!

Dark ash sounds ideal, then... just have to pluck up the courage to do it.

I have thought a lot about ash ballast, as the pre-grouping over the sleeper look is something I will have to try (in 4mm). For other lines it may be a case of granite dressed with ash and ash in the sidings.  The NER seems to have been mainly ash.  Someone better qualified will no doubt come to the rescue here.

I read that some people have used real ash, but some of them have found it to be corrosive. Silver sand I have heard of and both C&L and Woodland Scenics produce "ash" ballast.  

you wouldn't have seen the sleepers, as at that time most railways buried them in the ash/slag 'ballast'

Some railways certainly did this in Victorian times but it had the disadvantage that the condition of the sleepers was not readily apparent. However, many railways did not "box in" the sleepers. I have cataologued some 4000 photos for the Roy Burrows Midland Collection Trust and I can't recall any Midland Railway examples. I now live in Wales and I don't think any of the independent Welsh railways did it. Indeed the Taff Vale often had a deep trench in the ballast in the middle of the 4 foot.

I have been wondering if stippled modelling clay might work for the ash surface?

Simon - I suspect you are right, they would not have let it get to this stage - and I really hadn't thought about the link between the state of the stonework and the extent of the foliage. I might have to play the whimsy card :)

Archived