Class 800 - Updates

Salt water I hope.

Surely that would be a pointless exercise?

I imagine the important testing is to make sure all components and seals are waterproof and that pooling of water doesn't occur where it's not wanted.

Corrosion from salt water is a slower process and there's no point trying to deliberately damage the new trains and shorten component life on purpose.

I would expect that corrosion resistance, from salt water and other causes, will have been specified and any testing would have been in lab type conditions.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Gold

Its a bank of rheostats on the roof not a 'radiator' as we know it but it does radiate the heat produced by the dynamic braking.

The only difference I can see is the Voyager rheostats are fitted in a shallow well on the roof (which fills up with salt water) whereas the IET/AT300s have a flat roof with the grids mounted on top so that should allow the salt water to drain away faster, that is about it, I just hope they have got their sums right because it will be mighty embarrassing if they havent.

[pedantic]

A rheostat is a variable resistance. Why this version of the dynamic braking system is called "rheostatic" is beyond me. The resistances on the roof are just that: resistances or resistors.

[/pedantic]

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

[pedantic]

A rheostat is a variable resistance. Why this version of the dynamic braking system is called "rheostatic" is beyond me. The resistances on the roof are just that: resistances or resistors.

[/pedantic]

But given that - for whatever reason - it is called rheostatic braking, maybe it's then reasonable to call resistor banks used in this context rheostats?

These new units need a nickname. How about 'Lizards'? Just look at the cabside 'eyes' and front 'tongue'...........

I've heard the new Eurostar Class 374 called 'Serpents' - find a picture of one emerging from the tunnel at Stratford to see the resemblance.

• Like 1

[pedantic]

[/pedantic]

You could build a rheostat from a bunch of resistors by switching some/all in and out in different configurations.

Which is how the old camshaft controlled EMUs worked, but I've no idea how they use the resistors on modern DMUs.

You could build a rheostat from a bunch of resistors by switching some/all in and out in different configurations.

Which is how the old camshaft controlled EMUs worked, but I've no idea how they use the resistors on modern DMUs.

Exactly. In the days before semiconductors, the level of brake effort in dynamic braking was controlled by varying the resistance, hence the term rheostatic braking. With semiconductor control, the current can be controlled directly, and the braking resistance left constant, but the terminology hasn't changed, possibly not least because it is (a) well understood and (b) a handy way of differentiating it from regenerative braking.

As an option, rheostatic braking is only available on EMUs and DEMUs, eg class 220/221.

Jim

There's a high pressure water test rig at the Newton Aycliffe production facility.

A nice steady stream of clean water is not really the same as having several thousand gallons of salt water dumped on the roof is it!

A nice steady stream of clean water is not really the same as having several thousand gallons of salt water dumped on the roof is it!

But then it isn't supposed to be replicating a Dawlish drenching. The object is simply to check that the assembled car body is watertight, standard practice with any new car body.

Jim

But then it isn't supposed to be replicating a Dawlish drenching. The object is simply to check that the assembled car body is watertight, standard practice with any new car body.

Jim

The picture was posted in answer to the enquiry whether these have been tested to be Dawlish resistant' so my point stands.

I do appreciate that the rest rig is not in any way meant to represent Dawlish conditions.

Edited by royaloak

There's a high pressure water test rig at the Newton Aycliffe production facility.

This isn't to test for ingress, it is to check the grey paint doesn't wash off to reveal the Intercity Swallow livery they were actually commissioned with - it's been that long since a complete express train was ordered the DFT.

• Like 1

There are already at least five green five-car sets, 800003/04/08/10/13.

Geoff Endacott

Wallpaper now applied to 800005/06 as well as 800011 reported earlier.

Two of the green ones, 800003/04 are still being used for testing, so the two pairs in traffic tomorrow are likely to come from 800005/06/08/10/11/13.

Geoff Endacott

According to Realtime Trains, 5A03 was an hour late and didn't get to BRI until 18 min after 1A03 was supposed to depart. 1A03 departed 25 late and had lost another 2 min by Keynsham. Not looking good!

However 5C03 was 10 min early.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU

Finally got on train, 24mins late. First impressions; great to have a power socket per seat, interior is light and airy. Seats feel firm but comfortable enough. Noise wise I am sat above an engine and it is no louder than the ancillaries on a MK3. Ride wise they feel better than an HST, certainly easier to do some work on.

• Like 3

1C03 appears to be doing better, 3 early by Acton and 4½ early by Kennet Bridge Jn but then got checked approaching Reading. Had it not been checked it would have been a start to stop average speed of around 94 mph.

The two should pass around Goring & Streatley.

Are they using the overhead where possible?

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU

Now stopped at a plank in Buckinghamshire... Tannoy announcement for fitter to go to front cab... I presume the changeover from diesel to electric didn't go as planned....

Edited by 37114