Class 800 - Updates

Easy enough to tell if you have a watch capable of counting seconds, or even a less puissant watch if you compare actual point-to-point timings with nett booked point-to-point timings.

Which is a lot more effort than most of us here will make, let alone a regular passenger.

So is this 4tph to Cardiff and 4tph to Bristol (with two via Parkway and down Filton Bank to Temple Meads, and two via Bath)?

Yep, the timetable plans were published in all the usual periodicals.

Four an hour to both Bristol and Cardiff, two an hour to Oxford, one per hour to both Cheltenham and Worcester.

Obviously things can change, not least a slight lack of wiring, but they've certainly ordered enough IETs for an enhanced timetable and presumably they do plan on using them.

One specific ambition stated for the new timetable was the return of expresses to both Bristol and Cardiff rather than the all shacks offering they currently have and that was where the often stated 15 min reduction in journey time largely comes from.

Two expresses per hour from both Bristol and South Wales stopping only at Parkway and Reading or Swindon.

That was certainly the original plan, though obviously a lot of water has passed under the bridge since, but having gone to all this trouble (electrification) you might think there would be something to show for it in the end.

As to when the electrification will be complete who knows and frankly who cares if a few spoilt GW commuters suffer minor delays in the meantime, there's never any gain without pain.

• RMweb Gold

My colleague texted me to say he rode in an 800 today. I asked what he thought of them compared to the 43s.

"The new ones aren't better. Just thankfully not sh***er either. Which is an achievement given the ones that have been made in between."

Praise indeed!

• Like 3

On South Today this evening Paul Clifton went to Italy to witness Hitachi building IEP and said that are cheaper to build than the same trains built in the UK perhaps we should source future units from Italy.Bet they still have the same horrible seats! 

On South Today this evening Paul Clifton went to Italy to witness Hitachi building IEP and said that are cheaper to build than the same trains built in the UK perhaps we should source future units from Italy.Bet they still have the same horrible seats! 

They will be so long as they arrive pre-Brexit and our leaving the Single Market :jester:

Seriously though, just another example of the media running-down British manufacturing with half-truths (or even less if they can get away with it)!

The actual difference isn't so much where they're being built, but who ordered them;

The 800 / 801s are the original IEP series, "procured" by DafT on an apparently somewhat questionable contract.

The 802s on the other hand were ordered direct by the TOC

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bet they still have the same horrible seats! 

Yes, they will have the same seats. It's GWR policy so that the whole fleet is the same from a passenger point of view. They couldn't alter the IEP trains, so decided to come into line with their own. As for "horrible" that is, of course, subjective: I did 188 miles on IET seats yesterday and found them fine - the seats at the conference I attended proved to be less so. 

First have indicated that, should they win the next Great Western Franchise(s), then part of their bid would be to change the interior spec, but any decision on that would obviously be down to the DfT. 

• Like 3

Be interesting to see if Hitachi have managed to get the Italian factory up to scratch, previously Ansalda Breda who made the infamous Fyra as well as messing up the Danish IC4

They were messing things up way before those trains were assembled.

• Like 1

Just been a piece on the local spotlight news, the first 802s have rolled off the production line in Italy. Apparently due in service in July.

I thought one or more 802 were already running in test and had been for a few months?

The first 802 arrived in the UK last summer.

802001 began mainline testing in August.

802001 & 802002 have now been on test for months.

Here's 802001 at Swindon last year.....

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c0/2017-08-19_GWR_802001_Test_Unit_-_Swindon.jpg/1200px-2017-08-19_GWR_802001_Test_Unit_-_Swindon.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 2

On South Today this evening Paul Clifton went to Italy to witness Hitachi building IEP and said that are cheaper to build than the same trains built in the UK perhaps we should source future units from Italy......

Building programmes in Italy ????

IEP is a programme.

These trains being built in Italy are not being supplied as part of the IEP.

....just another example of the media running-down British manufacturing with half-truths (or even less if they can get away with it)!

There were more than a few "half-truths" in Paul Clifton's report. He was wrong on a couple of points.

For example, he stated that the UK government were buying the trains being assembled in the UK.

No they're not. The UK government are not buying any trains as a result of the IEP order.

Also, no mention of the other orders for 802's, which I understand will be built at Newton Aycliffe after the 800 and 801 order is complete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, they will have the same seats. It's GWR policy so that the whole fleet is the same from a passenger point of view. They couldn't alter the IEP trains, so decided to come into line with their own. As for "horrible" that is, of course, subjective: I did 188 miles on IET seats yesterday and found them fine - the seats at the conference I attended proved to be less so. 

First have indicated that, should they win the next Great Western Franchise(s), then part of their bid would be to change the interior spec, but any decision on that would obviously be down to the DfT. 

I find the seats uncomfortably hard (I ended up sitting on my fleece for extra padding), but they are the lowest backed seats I've seen in recent times and it makes the interior much more pleasant than if it had the usual very high seats.

I hope that if they are replaced it's with something a bit softer but no higher.

• RMweb Gold

There were more than a few "half-truths" in Paul Clifton's report. He was wrong on a couple of points.

For example, he stated that the UK government were buying the trains being assembled in the UK.

No they're not. The UK government are not buying any trains as a result of the IEP order.

Also, no mention of the other orders for 802's, which I understand will be built at Newton Aycliffe after the 800 and 801 order is complete.

You’d like to think that a transport correspondent would be able to master the brief and report accurately.

Ah well, I guess he nonetheless enjoyed the expenses paid trip and Hitachi hospitality.

Edited by 4630

You’d like to think that a transport correspondent would be able to master the brief and report accurately.

Ah well, I guess he nonetheless enjoyed the expenses paid trip and Hitachi hospitality.

Nice to know your TV licence fee has paid for this semi-clueless bloke and a TV crew to be flown out to Italy, to spout such rubbish.

Money well spent...not!

• RMweb Premium

Nice to know your TV licence fee has paid for this semi-clueless bloke and a TV crew to be flown out to Italy, to spout such rubbish.

Money well spent...not!

For all I agree, it's maybe a bit unfair to single out this individual for that........

That article is more accurate.

The report should have stated that these were the first Italian built 802's.

Not the first 802's, as the first ones have come direct from Japan.

• Like 1

For all I agree, it's maybe a bit unfair to single out this individual for that........

We get him on our local southern news, wide eyed and enthusiastically reporting on various transport issues.

Always giving the distinct impression that he doesn't know what his talking about (even if you don't know about the subject or detail yourself).

It nearly always results in some inaccurate twist or spin on the story, which I'm sure is totally unintentional on his part.

• Like 1

But that's the Beeb for you.

It's where you get a job through seniority, not necesarily being the best candidate. Take Maggie Philbin: first seen on Swap Shop teaching little girls how to safely paint their toenails by putting rolls of cotton wool between their toes to hold them apart, now BBC Science editor....

And never forget that the Beeb is where you can refuse point blank to be relocated, yet keep your highly paid job.....

Easiest thing in the world, spending someone else's money...

We get him on our local southern news, wide eyed and enthusiastically reporting on various transport issues.

Always giving the distinct impression that he doesn't know what his talking about (even if you don't know about the subject or detail yourself).

It nearly always results in some inaccurate twist or spin on the story, which I'm sure is totally unintentional on his part.

That is the nub of it. How many non industry people would believe the kind of nonsense our railway dabbles in everyday. Non British state run railways being able to bid for UK franchises whereas the UK prohibits state run rail franchises. I wonder how many members of the public realise that the Arriva bus they catch is operated by German state railways.

They will be so long as they arrive pre-Brexit and our leaving the Single Market :jester:

Seriously though, just another example of the media running-down British manufacturing with half-truths (or even less if they can get away with it)!

................ or perhaps running down BREXIT which to do so in Italy at the moment seems rather strange as anyone watching events there knows the EU could well be in for another torpedo below the waterline in the upcoming March 4th elections.

The outcome is very much up for grabs but the only thing for sure is that the current pro-EU incumbents are already toast.

The bloke currently leading in the polls has described the Euro as a crime against humanity and the bloke that's second in the polls wants a parallel Euro (whatever that is), perhaps they could call it the Liro.

But that's the Beeb for you.

It's where you get a job through seniority, not necesarily being the best candidate. Take Maggie Philbin: first seen on Swap Shop teaching little girls how to safely paint their toenails by putting rolls of cotton wool between their toes to hold them apart, now BBC Science editor....

And never forget that the Beeb is where you can refuse point blank to be relocated, yet keep your highly paid job.....

Easiest thing in the world, spending someone else's money...

....... and who wouldn't want to relocate to Salford.

I was watching the team covering the Winter Olympics, assuming the view from the window was in deepest South Korea, then I realised it was daylight when it should have been nighttime, yep, it's Salford.

Amy Williams is one of the commentary team the conversation must have gone, "It's the BBC here, fancy covering the Winter Olympics" "You bet" "Here's your ticket to Salford."

• Like 2