Class 800 - Updates

• RMweb Premium

A photo by Jacob Tyne on the IET & HST Appreciation Group on FaceBook shows the recovered seats on 800012. He reports that this seems to be the only one done so far, that the seat cushions have better padding, but there is no extra padding in the seat backs.

post-5204-0-73876100-1519068616.jpg

Meanwhile, passengers connecting onto IETs (and any other train) at Chippenham or Swindon having travelled by Stagecoach 55 bus will from today have been treated to hand-stitched Italian leather seats, with free WiFi, USB chargers, coat hooks, individual lighting, air cooling and ultra low emission engines, having paid by contactless card, if they so wish.

post-5204-0-41155600-1519068600_thumb.jpg

post-5204-0-66506800-1519069146_thumb.jpg

I've yet to travel on the latest version of Stagecoach Gold, so cannot comment on the comfort of the seating (the photo was taken at Swindon Depot as the vehicles were having a final top-up and wash before entering service) but visually at least it is quite a contrast with the DfT's idea of saloon design.

• RMweb Premium

I've yet to travel on the latest version of Stagecoach Gold, so cannot comment on the comfort of the seating (the photo was taken at Swindon Depot as the vehicles were having a final top-up and wash before entering service) but visually at least it is quite a contrast with the DfT's idea of saloon design.

Indeed - the ones round here (single deck, but similar interior) certainly look quite pleasant inside.

Seats are very comfortable (though - unlike an IET - I haven't done a two hour journey on one).

And I have never seen the service they are on run by a non "Gold" bus. I think what they've done is bought a few extra unbranded ones which normally get used on a non Gold route, but are available if necessary.

(Quite a contrast to Cardiff Bus's new single decks - where the seats are constructed somewhat like a deckchair - most odd).

• RMweb Premium

post-5204-0-73876100-1519068616.jpg

Those seats look VERY uncomfortable and uninviting - a virtually straight back, thinly padded, badly recovered with crumples etc. 

Brit15

They do look rather straight-backed in that photo, but from my (limited) experience they are fine apart from a certain...firmness...which is perhaps being addressed.

And they are considerably lower than any other modern seat I have seen which helps make the interior of the train much more appealing than - say - a GWR Mk 3 crammed full of high backed seats.

Nobody else appears to have been willing or able to provide such low backed seats that are compliant with current safety regulations so I think somebody should get some credit there.

• Like 1

A reasonable interior, but not very inspired,and too much uniformity,   too many hints of a  "Premier Inn" which runs at 125 mph. 

I find everything of German design to be somewhat utilitarian, their trains, cars and hotels you could never accuse them of being decorative.

Now the non-PC bit but they do like their order thankfully, nowadays, they've found a way to be ordered without having to become N***s.

• RMweb Premium

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/modern-train-seats-designed-to-make-the-office-seem-like-a-relief-20180222144728

If it's reached satire, then the issue isn't just the likes of us that are noticing...

The Metro news likes to pick a single topic for its letters page.

A few days ago it was train seats...

Perhaps this is a good thing in the sense that it's got so bad that people are starting to make a fuss and something will be done? (Wishful thinking hat on...)