Class 800 - Updates

• RMweb Premium

Apart from  that I wonder how they'll manage if they work a Padd - Newquay with all the surfboards trying to get themselves loaded aboard - not too difficult to use the van area on an HST but no similar space on these trains.

Probably tell them to sod off and use the roads.

Back in the day, participants of the London - Brighton bike ride could use the trains to get home thanks to the big-ish guards van areas and the ability to turn over the MK1 seat cushions (I recall seeing a 3x4VEP service passing me while out on track carrying nothing but bikes back to London).

• RMweb Premium

Apart from  that I wonder how they'll manage if they work a Padd - Newquay with all the surfboards trying to get themselves loaded aboard - not too difficult to use the van area on an HST but no similar space on these trains.

There was a time, albeit maybe only one season, when they marshalled a second TGS at the opposite end of the busiest Newquay HST for the luggage.

On a different note, I have today seen photos of green class 80X trains on test at Inverness (no snow) and nearing Penzance (lots of snow). 

• RMweb Premium

One problem with the 80x series is their inflexibility. It didn't take long before the HSTs were amended with the introduction of a TGS to each set. Such a change will be much harder with an IET.

Geoff Endacott

True - although that was primarily due to dangerously high levels of engine noise / fumes getting into the Guards / Luggage area of the power cars rather than a need to increase luggage space which forced BR to introduce the TGS

Edited by phil-b259

Where are the horns mounted? Are they behind the little grill on the grey bit below the coupler hatch?

Jo

Yup they are - evidently the heater units aren't working, which isn't a surprise since they never got tested in my time. The temp sensor is on the front bulkhead nearly 2m inside the clamshell (which staff were cautioned against working in since there's no obstacle detextion)

I'm genuinely curious.

How often and how much is that DVT luggage space used Ken?

How do passengers go about putting luggage in there, how is it loaded or retrieved and who's responsible for it when out of the passengers sight?

I believe there have been occasions in the summer when some sort of checked baggage service was offered for passengers travelling from London to Edinburgh and vice versa.

But apart from that...

It's actually used quite a bit;

The cycle accommodation to start with - six 'proper' style racks, 3 either side at front end of van area is often well used.

At peak periods of bank / school holidays a luggage check-in service is often offered between Kings X and Edinburgh (and north of there on HSTs using the power cars van area). Although this only serves 'end to end' passengers, the van area usually does get quite full (at times it's not even been possible to get through between cab and train), and that of coarse saves 'on board' space for intermediate stations.

Passengers are given a numbered ticket, the counter-part of which is attached to the luggage, as they hand it over at the van to be loaded.

The van's also available at other times for passengers to use for any large items, at request to the guard.

The DVT's van doors are self locking, and when cycles or other items for intermediate stations are loaded the destination is phoned ahead to advise to have someone on hand to unlock it if the guards required to dispatch from elsewhere on the train. HST power car van doors are also locked in service.

Edited by Ken.W

True - although that was primarily due to dangerously high levels of engine noise / fumes getting into the Guards / Luggage area of the power cars rather than a need to increase luggage space which forced BR to introduce the TGS

As well as the guards not taking kindly to bouncing around the van

HSTs do tend to 'wag their tail' quite a bit - you really don't want to be using the rear cab when having to 'travel pass', no matter how full the train is!

• RMweb Gold

Apart from that I wonder how they'll manage if they work a Padd - Newquay with all the surfboards trying to get themselves loaded aboard - not too difficult to use the van area on an HST but no similar space on these trains.

Maybe the answer to that is they just won't- it'll be dmu connection only?

• RMweb Gold

Maybe the answer to that is they just won't- it'll be dmu connection only?

Don't know.  the past through Newquay trains have loaded well but that's partly because they have actually been Penzance services re-routed to Newquay on a dated basis so as far as Par they were just the same stopping pattern wise as a Penzance working.  Doing away with the through train might not necessarily stop people travelling - the only practical answer would be to ban surfboards (which might not go down too well of course as I doubt there is a road alternative other than private cars).

• RMweb Premium

Don't know.  the past through Newquay trains have loaded well but that's partly because they have actually been Penzance services re-routed to Newquay on a dated basis so as far as Par they were just the same stopping pattern wise as a Penzance working.  Doing away with the through train might not necessarily stop people travelling - the only practical answer would be to ban surfboards (which might not go down too well of course as I doubt there is a road alternative other than private cars).

Maybe a road-based surfboard delivery service?

Didn't Virgin Cross-Country try to persuade people to send their luggage by road since they'd largely omitted the luggage space from their Voyagers?

Here's a copy of a PDF file from GWR (click on the image to enlarge)

attachicon.gifClass 800 5 car.jpg

My RAIL colleagues and I have been trying to find some logic in the seat numbering which, in places, seems to allow numbers for luggage spaces or tables! Hope it's easier to find your reserved seat on the train than it appears to be on the plan! (CJL)

My RAIL colleagues and I have been trying to find some logic in the seat numbering which, in places, seems to allow numbers for luggage spaces or tables! Hope it's easier to find your reserved seat on the train than it appears to be on the plan! (CJL)

It's fine until the ticketing system thinks the train you're getting is going to be an HST and allocates you seat 4 in coach A, on a ram packed service... :angry: 

• RMweb Premium

It's fine until the ticketing system thinks the train you're getting is going to be an HST and allocates you seat 4 in coach A, on a ram packed service... :angry:

If that happens I think they have to refund you the reservation fee of £0.

• Like 2

Perhaps they're leaving the seat numbers 'free' where the luggage racks / tables are (for now) ready to jam even more seats in when the commuters start whining about standing on peak services

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps they're leaving the seat numbers 'free' where the luggage racks / tables are (for now) ready to jam even more seats in when the commuters start whining about standing on peak services

I think saying "jam even more seats in" is a little unfair.

As it is, for a modern train there's a decent number of tables, and the leg room is very much on the generous side.

• RMweb Gold

They are possibly seat position numbers which only appear on a seat if there is one in that particular position - rather like the way SNCF number seats on TGVs.  And infinitely better than Cross Country Voyagers where from my last experience on one the seats seems to have two different numbers for the same seat and what's more they don't agree with the numbers and information shown on the electronic indicators above them.