Class 800 - Updates

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I would have thought Adwick would have been a better x over, if a little further. Quiet line, OHE and looks more simple?

P

Looking at the timetable - 1D13, 12.03 London Kings Cross to Leeds is hard on the heels of 5Q63, 12.41 Peterborough to Shaftholme Jn, as far as Doncaster.  

5Q63 Doncaster 13.35

1D13 Doncaster 13.41

If 5Q63 took the Leeds line to Adwick it would then be following 2B70, 13.25 Doncaster to Leeds stopper, which stops at Adwick at 13.32 and passes Carcroft Jn at 13.34.

5Q63 would still have to clear Carcroft Jn by 13.47, when 1D13 is scheduled to pass...

...but at 13.39 1A31 13.15 Leeds to London Kings Cross is scheduled to pass Carcroft Jn. 

Allowing time for signals to clear and allowing for the conflicting move, there probably isn't enough time to do the reversal that way.

With the current schedule, once 5Q63 passes Doncaster travelling to Shaftholme Jn, the next northbound train scheduled for that route doesn't pass Doncaster until 14.09 (1N17, 12.30 London Kings Cross to Newcastle).

Once 5Q63 arrives at Shaftholme Jn at 13.48 it has to wait until 13.51 when 1V89, 12.35 Newcastle to Reading, is booked to pass heading south.

The next scheduled southbound train is not booked to pass Shaftholme Jn until 14.15 (1E13, 07.55 Inverness to London Kings Cross).

It would appear from this that the schedule to Shafteholme Jn provides a better cushion of time to achieve  a reversal without impacting on other services.

All of the above, as with any schedule, assumes that everything runs to time !

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

All this begs the question as to why the thing does not just go in the DG at Donny during the daytime runs and then uses the Platforms later in the day when the services are less frequent? Suppose I'm being too simplistic here or the Unit has to be in a Down Platform on arrival and then at an Up Platform on departure for proving stuff or whatever is going on? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Mallard60022 said:

All this begs the question as to why the thing does not just go in the DG at Donny during the daytime runs and then uses the Platforms later in the day when the services are less frequent? Suppose I'm being too simplistic here or the Unit has to be in a Down Platform on arrival and then at an Up Platform on departure for proving stuff or whatever is going on? 

I did wonder that when I was looking at the schedule.  Why not just run the thing into the loop next to P8 at Doncaster.  I guess there probably is a very good reason why not, but it did seem the simplest solution.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Anyone interested in seeing and/or photographing an LNER liveried Azuma working across the Forth and Tay Bridges for the first time?

You have an opportunity on 26th May as per this;

Timings here:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N63819/2019/05/26/advanced

Blimey, that's a long old poke.

P

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 4630 said:

I did wonder that when I was looking at the schedule.  Why not just run the thing into the loop next to P8 at Doncaster.  I guess there probably is a very good reason why not, but it did seem the simplest solution.

There were/are some Units parked in that loop last week. The new things for Northern that aren't being put in service yet I think they are?

That also reminds me that I am sure an 800 came north off the main into 8 and then left south shortly afterwards; I think they can access the down main from there some way down the way south by using the route to Gainsborough through the up freight yards @ Decoy and then up and over the main (Flyover West Jn) and looping down off the Finningly line (Flyover east Jn) onto the down main. There was a service some years back that used to do that off Donny abut 15.00 so it did not conflict with another service on P3. Can't remember what that was now.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, 331105 and 331107 when I was there on 15th May, with 331102 also stabled on the line between P6 and P7.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Yes, 331105 and 331107 when I was there on 15th May, with 331102 also stabled on the line between P6 and P7.

That bay line is rarely used these days. Covered in sh##e as well normally!!!!!

P

• RMweb Gold

LNER has advised today that their following services go over to Azuma operation as from the following dates;

from 27/05
06.40 Leeds to Kings Cross
10.06 Kings Cross to Newark North Gate
11.56 Newark North Gate to Kings Cross
14.33 Kings Cross to Leeds
17.14 Leeds to Kings Cross
20.03 Kings Cross to Leeds

from 03/06
05.05 Leeds to Kings Cross
08.03 Kings Cross to Leeds
10.45 Leeds to Kings Cross
14.03 Kings Cross to Leeds
16.45 Leeds to Kings Cross
19.33 Kings Cross to Leeds

from 10/06
15.33 Kings Cross to Leeds
18.15 Leeds to Kings Cross

from 17/06 
05.30 Leeds to Kings Cross
08.33 Kings Cross to Leeds
11.15 Leeds to Kings Cross
14.06 Kings Cross to Newark North Gate
15.56 Newark North Gate to Kings Cross
18.03 Kings Cross to Skipton

from 24/06
05.55 Kings Cross to Leeds
08.45 Leeds to Kings Cross
11.33 Kings Cross to Leeds
14.15 Leeds to Kings Cross
17.03 Kings Cross to Leeds
19.45 Leeds to Kings Cross

Strange to think that it won’t be long before class 91s (and the class 90s that are on hire to LNER too for that matter) will be rare in Leeds station!

Edited by 4630
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 4630 said:

LNER has advised today that their following services go over to Azuma operation as from the following dates;

from 27/05
06.40 Leeds to Kings Cross
10.06 Kings Cross to Newark North Gate
11.56 Newark North Gate to Kings Cross
14.33 Kings Cross to Leeds
17.14 Leeds to Kings Cross
20.03 Kings Cross to Leeds

from 03/06
05.05 Leeds to Kings Cross
08.03 Kings Cross to Leeds
10.45 Leeds to Kings Cross
14.03 Kings Cross to Leeds
16.45 Leeds to Kings Cross
19.33 Kings Cross to Leeds

from 10/06
15.33 Kings Cross to Leeds
18.15 Leeds to Kings Cross

from 17/06 
05.30 Leeds to Kings Cross
08.33 Kings Cross to Leeds
11.15 Leeds to Kings Cross
14.06 Kings Cross to Newark North Gate
15.56 Newark North Gate to Kings Cross
18.03 Kings Cross to Skipton

from 24/06
05.55 Kings Cross to Leeds
08.45 Leeds to Kings Cross
11.33 Kings Cross to Leeds
14.15 Leeds to Kings Cross
17.03 Kings Cross to Leeds
19.45 Leeds to Kings Cross

Strange to think that it won’t be long before class 91s (and the class 90s that are on hire to LNER too for that matter) will be rare in Leeds station!

Thanks for that. I have decided to do the above two in bold on 17/07 as SWMBO is away galavanting somewhere in Europe (Ireland). Drive and park at Newark then 1st going south at £20 and attempting to get some fodder and Standard return at £8 to experience the part of the train that I have yet to travel in.

Seems I couldn't alter my seat reservations this time; don't know why, but they are OK.

I might take a cushion!

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On Sunday I had a ride on an 800 in steerage and the seats are somewhat softer than the 802s. It was Twyford before the numb bum, set in on a down train from Pad to Reading. Unlike my up journey from Plimuff on an 802, a numb bum by Tavi Junc and sciatica by Hermerdon loop. 

The 802s seem to be able to gain or regain a minute or two between Taunton and Reading, when running non stop. So I assume they have enough poke to cope with Somerton and Savernake.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

On Sunday I had a ride on an 800 in steerage and the seats are somewhat softer than the 802s.

I've found the same thing.

Given that the 802's haven't been running as long as the 800's, this supports my theory that the seats are softening up, even if it defies the laws of physics relating to elasticity.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/05/2019 at 19:43, brianusa said:

Mk1s, even a Mk2, where are you all!:cray_mini:  Mr Collett? Mr Bulleid?

Brian.

Do grow up. These modern trains are  far quieter and quicker than those old things. I actually prefer the IETs over long journeys mainly because the temperature is constant between seating areas and vestibules unlike HSTs which were beginning to show their age with droplights that didn't close properly.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/05/2019 at 22:26, phil-b259 said:

BR did a dam sight better than the current idiots in charge - and don't be fooled by all the rubbish spouted by Politicians, the REAL people calling the shots throughout the industry is the DfT!

One of BRs biggest strengths was standing up to the DfT & the Treasuary - as a result instead of further line closures we got Pacers to keep them open, we got a reasonable quantity of suburban electrification schemes despite the Government being anti-railway, and instead of the extremely expensive IET (by FAR the most expensive train to lease in the UK if not Europe thanks to DfT bungling) we got the HST.

As for industrial disputes - even BR didn't deliberately engineer disputes with the express intention of, and I quote "we are going to break them and kick them out of my industry'" as the top DfT official (a certain Peter Wilkinson*) said to is Conservative chums in Croydon before launching a series of DOO disputes across the country that caused huge misery for huge numbers of commuters for years!

Yes BR had its faults - but so does the private sector, Railtrack failed spectacularly in its intended job of looking after the infrastructure while on the other hand Chiltern Railways haven't really put a foot wrong so far.

*https://insidecroydon.com/2016/06/15/southern-failways-civil-servant-wants-to-break-rail-unions/

It is a pity there isn't an ABSOLUTELY AGREE button, but in the absence of one, I ABSOLUTELY AGREE.

• Agree 3

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 08:27, Siberian Snooper said:

On Sunday I had a ride on an 800 in steerage and the seats are somewhat softer than the 802s. It was Twyford before the numb bum, set in on a down train from Pad to Reading. Unlike my up journey from Plimuff on an 802, a numb bum by Tavi Junc and sciatica by Hermerdon loop. 

The 802s seem to be able to gain or regain a minute or two between Taunton and Reading, when running non stop. So I assume they have enough poke to cope with Somerton and Savernake.

Not sure why age was mentioned but least there weren't many comments like this with earlier trains, Phil!

Brian

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Not sure why age was mentioned but least there weren't many comments like this with earlier trains, Phil!

Brian

I have travelled on trains in the UK for the past 53 years, and you?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 96701 said:

I have travelled on trains in the UK for the past 53 years, and you?

I sat on the fireman's seat of Kolhapur shuttling up to Tyseley station in 1968 at the age of 6, so i am a whippersnapper !! 

On 19/05/2019 at 22:26, phil-b259 said:

while on the other hand Chiltern Railways haven't really put a foot wrong so far.

Lack of reservations? Crap utilisation? I thought we'd try them yesterday on a family return to the capital. The mid-morning train was standing room only and no sign of a guard to police the ignoramuses who had a ticket for their hand luggage in the seat next to them. Likewise the late peak departure from Marylebone was only 3 cars so standing room only, and it failed at Banbury. Again, no sign of a guard until we got on the next train and even then there wasn't a ticket check.

Any reason why they can't use the loco hauled sets more intensively and provide more seats? First and last time on Chiltern for us, next time we'll be back on the WCML.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I love the 800 series. That is because, so far, they don't smell weird. Thought I'd just lighten the mood as we do seem to be a bit grumpy .

Off to meet a friend shortly at 36E and I shall witness a couple more of the Zoomers doing their thang on the EC (better than anywhere else) ML.

Have a good day all.

(Check dosage of medication before posting again...…)

Phil

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1