Class 800 - Updates

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully this photo will help to show what I mean. The guy nearest the camera was just a fraction shorter than me. The guy at the far end with the camera was one of the shortest of our group.

IMG_20190529_173645.jpg.e133a06422c8b2cf36d85ba9fda952e7.jpg

Some more tomorrow.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I've not noticed the luggage rack to be any lower than on other trains.

Maybe it's just my perception, possibly because I normally sit in an aisle seat (by choice) I noticed it more on this occasion by being able to walk around the coach unhindered by seats.

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm, don't know what happened there, but local internet interrupted for a few seconds and everything locked up for a short while. Apologies for the multiple responses, I'll try and delete a couple.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iands said:

Hmmm, don't know what happened there, but local internet interrupted for a few seconds and everything locked up for a short while. Apologies for the multiple responses, I'll try and delete a couple.

You can opt to hide the post I think Ian; well at least you used to be able to do that. drop down from Options and then try the hide link.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The low luggage racks do sound a bit strange and not very comfortable to bang one's head when standing up, but perhaps the corollary is that you can actually get a useful bag onto them unlike say a Voyager where you'd have a job to fit a Sainsbury's bag onto the overhead rack!

Actually I find it a bit surprising as I had thought the 'inadequate' racks on modern trains were a deliberate policy to stop people putting inappropriately heavy cases on them, risking decapitating the passengers below should they fall.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The luggage racks on the Azumas look to be large enough to accomodate some quite large cases/ruck sacks provided that you are able yo lift your baggage onto them.

I had a ride on the only set working yesterday following on from the person struck by train incident causing disruption to all ECML services.  The seats are as comfortable as a plank of wood.  Fortunately I only travelled from Leeds to Westgate but that was far enough (10 miles).  The wooden seats we have at the Middleton are more comfortable.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Took a picture of 009 at Paddington today looking patchy as anything with mismatching vinyls and with two names at the First class end? Anyone know why this is? 

Was as the correct way around though, 5 80X at the time and only one was incorrect 

BBF5D93A-8523-4D5D-801C-0B1F2382FE44.jpeg

1C141729-F86C-43C0-99EF-3996495BBD3F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Took a picture of 009 at Paddington today looking patchy as anything with mismatching vinyls and with two names at the First class end? Anyone know why this is? 

Was as the correct way around though, 5 80X at the time and only one was incorrect 

BBF5D93A-8523-4D5D-801C-0B1F2382FE44.jpeg

1C141729-F86C-43C0-99EF-3996495BBD3F.jpeg

The two names are correct, the name below means the gentle giant.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, 31A said:

The low luggage racks do sound a bit strange and not very comfortable to bang one's head when standing up, but perhaps the corollary is that you can actually get a useful bag onto them unlike say a Voyager where you'd have a job to fit a Sainsbury's bag onto the overhead rack!

Actually I find it a bit surprising as I had thought the 'inadequate' racks on modern trains were a deliberate policy to stop people putting inappropriately heavy cases on them, risking decapitating the passengers below should they fall.

Little people such as SWMBO may benefit from these low racks.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Wild Boar Fell said:

The two names are correct, the name below means the gentle giant.

'The Gentle Giant' was the nickname given to John Charles, a Welsh International who played for Juventus; apparently, he was never booked nor sent off during his entire career (given he'd played for Leeds United, I find this incredible)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Some photos from the Hitachi visit.

This shot shows the detail of lower end-parts of the vehicles. Something you probably won't get to see on a regular basis.

IMG_20190529_173911.jpg.c0111e8e4ed98305803dacd7bfae944e.jpg

Another photo will follow in a short while as I've reached the 10MB limit for this posting.

• Like 6

We've now lost the last of our HSTs here in Swindon - the Class 800s aren't popular.  At least they've changed the seat upholstery, which used to look grubby after about a month's use due to the light colour, but the seat booking indicators are frequently not working and (as with most modern trains) luggage space is pathetic; hand luggage fits into the overhead racks but many people seem to move house by train, taking those enormous suitcases on wheels.

Bike booking is especially hopeless, as you book a space then generally find the entire space is already packed out with massive suitcases and surfboards. Maybe at Paddington you could find the train manager and get something done about it but, at an intermediate station, you have about 2 mins to get on the train so you end up blocking the gangway and standing all the way.  At least, with the HSTs, nothing else used the bike spaces.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

As promised, a full-on end shot of a vehicle (the lower bit at least).

IMG_20190529_173924.jpg.d3ecd709e12f957db45c5e6c6c0f4c6e.jpg

Another couple of photos later today.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Another couple of photos from the Hitachi visit.

385001 lurking behind an Azuma vehicle.

IMG_20190529_174804.jpg.c756af1e784637d61286994ab3050af8.jpg

And an Azuma vehicle being moved via the external traverser on to the turntable. Apparently this is the first "new" (as opposed to a refurbed/rebuilt one for a heritage railway) standard gauge turntable to be built in the UK for 65 years. The need for the turntable (besides the bleedin' obvious) is that all the body shells reaching the UK arrive in the same orientation, meaning that 50% of the vehicles need to be turned.

IMG_20190529_174243_BURST001_COVER.jpg.c4b9d640c71a6081de1aa4641b14a263.jpg

I can squeeze one more shot in on this post. A close up of the coupling mechanism on the Azuma.

IMG_20190529_175814.jpg.5f2da757cced23a2bd2841592e562b81.jpg

I'll post some more photos tomorrow.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Here in Leeds there are a few roads named after John Charles.  You can even take a steam train to the John Charles stadium.  Theoretically that set could get to the stadium as the Middleton Railway is main line connected.

• RMweb Premium

With regards to the situation with the 'stuff' and huge cases, are GW taking survey of the problems? Do they run  a passenger (customer) focus group? What is highlighted above must be essential feedback to the Company.

Phil (on the ECML) where the things are cascading onto services every week and LNER are quite user focused at the present.

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

With regards to the situation with the 'stuff' and huge cases, are GW taking survey of the problems? Do they run  a passenger (customer) focus group? What is highlighted above must be essential feedback to the Company.

Phil (on the ECML) where the things are cascading onto services every week and LNER are quite user focused at the present.

I think the problem is that DfT told GWR what they were getting with the class 800 and although the 802s aren't procured via Agility Trains the DfT only allowed GWR to match the 800 spec (so far as the passenger would notice). With GWR being a Direct Award, with another Direct Award pending (or possibly now agreed, I lose track of it all) GWR aren't really in a position to do anything about it, even if they wanted to. 

Meanwhile the extra exterior notices appear at a rate slower than a lethargic snail, diesel only restrictions continue, as do coupling problems and reservation system issues. Those "deadly" inter-car cables remain as they were too. Those are the long term problems, I also read reports of set being released late to traffic on a regular basis; maybe not late enough to show to the public but late in terms of the Working Time Table, and consequently late in terms of crews setting things up in a timely manner and provisions being loaded. With all the sets delivered, but the HST timetable still in operation Hitachi will never have as much slack in the system as they do now to get it right.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

They have large posters up telling people not to bring too much luggage with them.

The sub-text seems to be that if you have luggage they'd rather you drove.

On the one hand the overhead racks are generously sized, and there's some storage between seat backs.

But otherwise it's a bit limited and I can see why people do end up using bike spaces even though of course they shouldn't.

It's not very helpful saying "most coaches have luggage storage" without telling you which ones they are or letting you choose one when you reserve.

They could really do with taking out some of the arm-rest less seats at the ends of the coaches where the door pockets are and replacing them with racks.

I would have thought given the overall increase in seats from the IETs vs the HSTs they could afford to lose a few.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iands said:

And an Azuma vehicle being moved via the external traverser on to the turntable. Apparently this is the first "new" (as opposed to a refurbed/rebuilt one for a heritage railway) standard gauge turntable to be built in the UK for 65 years. The need for the turntable (besides the bleedin' obvious) is that all the body shells reaching the UK arrive in the same orientation, meaning that 50% of the vehicles need to be turned.

Enjoying the photos.

I don't think I've seen a traverser with a roof before.

How are the body shells transported to the UK?

21st May at Newport. HItachi's external cleaning routine for the IEPs doesn't seem to be going well and their windows are suffering. On this one, the information panels on the train exterior looked to have been hand cleaned.

IEP 800 external cleanliness 1600.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear. Doesn't sound good does it. Can anyone remember what it was like when the HSTs were introduced; were there so many problems? As for passengers carrying large cases on these trains, they are most likely going to the west country and probably on holiday of some sort, They are the sort of folk like my SWMBO for example, that drive but going down to Devon or to Wales by car from the East Midlands is a PITA, to say the least, when you are older.

Also sounds like Train Management before departure and at stops needs to be modified? That means staff though doesn't it!

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coryton said:

Enjoying the photos.

I don't think I've seen a traverser with a roof before.

How are the body shells transported to the UK?

Hi Coryton,

The body shells travel to the UK by ship and then by road transport from the docks to the Hitachi factory.

• Informative/Useful 1