Class 800 - Updates

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, cunningduck said:

They’re not in service yet and but are intended for Glasgow - Fort William trains as a cycle/large luggage/buffet coach. 

Wow. How innovative. Good for modern modellers to play about with?

P

Most of the 'oiks' trying to get to work with bikes are fine, I do my best to accommodate them, the most I can recall is 9 in a 158, officially we can turn away any more than 2. 

The worst ones tend to be 'leisure cyclists' who have a great sense of entitlement, one of these flatly refused to move his bike from the aisle so much so that an 'oik' type offered to get off so we could move on! Turns out said leisure type didn't even have a ticket!!! 

Got him off when he gave me his credit card to pay with. Walked across to the station wall, slapped his card down on it and told him to make his choice knowing he couldn't retrieve his card without getting off the train:rolleyes:. Most annoying thing was he was only going to the next station about a mile down the line and clearly visible from where we stood.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

58 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Is there a reason for that? I know that there used to be a 'dedicated train' (or trains?) for bikes on the Brighton line after the London to Brighton bike ride. Probably a VEP?

I'm sure that back in the 60s there were some SR vehicles that were used as bike vans for special trains. 

Bikes and trains don't really mix under most circumstances, I accept that, however the lack of available space for bikes and buggies on long distance 800s is bloody poor planning but then I suspect there are plenty of other things that were not thought out well. I await the first victim of 'Blind Rage'!

P

Yes, I used one of those Brighton Bike Ride** trains once, a slam-door emu with plastic sheets over the seats and the bikes stacked in standing across the pairs of facing seats.

The accompanying riders then traveled in the adjoining set.

The former SR Cycle Vans (PMVs fitted out with hanging hooks) is available as a special edition from one supplier.

Well bikes and trains did mix quite well in the days when trains were designed with all passengers in mind, including those with any sort of luggage rather than just a brief case, instead of all trains just commuters and cram as many seats in as possible, even doing without padding to do so. We now even hear of luggage areas on trains being described as 'a waste of space'.

Which brings us nearly back on topic with the 800s

53 minutes ago, cunningduck said:

They’re not in service yet and but are intended for Glasgow - Fort William trains as a cycle/large luggage/buffet coach. 

I believe they're also intended for use on the Far North Line, where something called the 'End to End' (or LEJOG) being quite popular with cyclists to the extant Scotrail started running courier vans!  (although from what's been posted above, it's a wonder any of them manage to get to the start!)

** For the return to London after the ride...

Incidentally, on my way down to London for the start, the train had a rather close encounter with some horses in the Rossington area just south of Doncaster.

The first coach rocked somewhat alarmingly at the time....

The driver of course was quite shaken, which resulted in my working the train into KGX....

wearing full cycling kit!!!

(but touring shorts, not lycra)

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ken.W said:

Yes, I used one of those Brighton Bike Ride** trains once, a slam-door emu with plastic sheets over the seats and the bikes stacked in standing across the pairs of facing seats.

The accompanying riders then traveled in the adjoining set.

The former SR Cycle Vans (PMVs fitted out with hanging hooks) is available as a special edition from one supplier.

Well bikes and trains did mix quite well in the days when trains were designed with all passengers in mind, including those with any sort of luggage rather than just a brief case, instead of all trains just commuters and cram as many seats in as possible, even doing without padding to do so. We now even hear of luggage areas on trains being described as 'a waste of space'.

Which brings us nearly back on topic with the 800s

I believe they're also intended for use on the Far North Line, where something called the 'End to End' (or LEJOG) being quite popular with cyclists to the extant Scotrail started running courier vans!  (although from what's been posted above, it's a wonder any of them manage to get to the start!)

** For the return to London after the ride...

Incidentally, on my way down to London for the start, the train had a rather close encounter with some horses in the Rossington area just south of Doncaster.

The first coach rocked somewhat alarmingly at the time....

The driver of course was quite shaken, which resulted in my working the train into KGX....

wearing full cycling kit!!!

(but touring shorts, not lycra)

Oh my dear fellow, that has cheered me up no end. Thank you from then heart of my bottom. The thought of cycling kit in the Cab is just hilarious. Hope you kep wearing your helmet?

Horses, Rossington, yup oiks always leaving their beasts to run about the place you know. Should be locked up and the key thrown away.

Some of them even use the Racecourse if they can be arsed.

I admire thee for doing the Brighton; my eldest lad did that once on a real old boneshaker....he recovered, just.

Yes, the days of trains when you could take a bunch of Sunday School kids to the seaside; works used to hire trains for their holiday weeks; if something konked out it could be dealt with and another came along to help out. Yup, BR was a bit of a joke to some but it was a service that tried to cope with needs of many not the too many!

1 hour ago, Indomitable026 said:

West Coast franchise announced today.

More bi-modes and EMUs anyone?

Another so##ing Bus Company, coming over here, taking all our railways. Bah humbug.

1 hour ago, DavidB-AU said:

Maybe to replace the Vomiters but the Pendos aren't very old.

Cheers

David

I do not think I have had the pleasure of using a Vomiter; should I rush to use one before they are transferred to Scotland?

Pendo…..not used one of those either AFAIK. Do they have seats?

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Is there a reason for that? I know that there used to be a 'dedicated train' (or trains?) for bikes on the Brighton line after the London to Brighton bike ride. Probably a VEP?

I'm sure that back in the 60s there were some SR vehicles that were used as bike vans for special trains. 

Bikes and trains don't really mix under most circumstances, I accept that, however the lack of available space for bikes and buggies on long distance 800s is bloody poor planning but then I suspect there are plenty of other things that were not thought out well. I await the first victim of 'Blind Rage'!

P

Scotrail or more precisely Abellio Scotrail get a raw deal generally, but I think this is one of their better initiatives . Trains on the West Highland contain a lot of back packers , not so much aware of cyclists . So Scotrail are taking some redundant 153s and I believe will insert them in the middle of a 2 car 156 unit . This will give extra space for bikes , luggage . I'm not sure if there will be more seats .  As Cunningduck says , they are not yet in operation , so I'm not sure if we will see 5 car trains 156/153 Hybrid + Standard 156.

Really it is amazing , I've done a fair number of trips in the Western Highlands and its amazing the number of cars you see in lay byes , parking spots , because owners are off trekking up Munros . It really is very popular and seems to have grown exponentially in the last 10 years . Maybe lots of people having short breaks away or just getting out there. So this initiative for more luggage room on the West Highland will be much appreciated and used.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see mention of London - Brighton cycle ride. I did it 4 or 5 times quite a while back. Still scare myself thinking of 55mph down Ditchling Beacon into the back streets of Brighton ...

Used to be a crowed of us go down from work in a coach with a lorry for the bikes, they then met us in Brighton. For the first three years I was first across the line in our group at the finish despite being the oldest taking part. We raised quite a bit of money doing this.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Clearly what we need is a Prime Minister who cycles and who would therefore insist on proper provision for carrying bikes on trains.......

….and shows they are self aware by wearing their cycling helmet and a decent safety jacket and not hanging them on the bl##dy handlebars.

:superman:

P

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Richard E said:

Nice to see mention of London - Brighton cycle ride. I did it 4 or 5 times quite a while back. Still scare myself thinking of 55mph down Ditchling Beacon into the back streets of Brighton ...

Used to be a crowed of us go down from work in a coach with a lorry for the bikes, they then met us in Brighton. For the first three years I was first across the line in our group at the finish despite being the oldest taking part. We raised quite a bit of money doing this.

What we need is one of these:

image.png.d299b4f1b50fa0ea11c4d449bd0f7413.png

Might be some loading gauge issues though.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Coryton said:

The socket placement on the IETs could be better...my phone charger doesn't work so well...

image.png.69bdad30549dc93d9859a91d34e4d16b.png

Person that designed that has got a front plug hole adapter...……….

Fumbling down there next to some passengers could be interesting...…..or dangerous?

P

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Coryton said:

What we need is one of these:

image.png.d299b4f1b50fa0ea11c4d449bd0f7413.png

Might be some loading gauge issues though.

Actually, might HS2 be built to a gauge height to allow DD trains? Nah, I already know the answer to that one......

Clever thinking here.....presumably in Holland or Belgium?

I.N. Nertube

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Actually, might HS2 be built to a gauge height to allow DD trains? Nah, I already know the answer to that one......

HS2 will be to European loading gauge, won't it?

7 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Clever thinking here.....presumably in Holland or Belgium?

I don't think that bike carriage would fit a European railway.

It was on a Caltrain service.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Coryton said:

HS2 will be to European loading gauge, won't it?

I don't think that bike carriage would fit a European railway.

It was on a Caltrain service.

Blissy eck, they have bikes, that you have to pedal in the USA? I have just scrambled back up after swooning. OH, it is SF I suppose where loads of people like to be 'fit' and look it.

Thanks.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Blissy eck, they have bikes, that you have to pedal in the USA? I have just scrambled back up after swooning. OH, it is SF I suppose where loads of people like to be 'fit' and look it.

There seem to be a fair few throughout the USA, they're either one extreme or the other.