Class 800 - Updates

6 minutes ago, 31A said:

...and as well as calling the fleet Paragon, there's a competition for the public to suggest names for the individual trains - see the item at https://www.hulltrains.co.uk/news/2019/hull-trains-reveals-name-of-new-fleet

Although last time the public had any say in naming something, it didn't go so well.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, eastwestdivide said:

...and as well as calling the fleet Paragon, there's a competition for the public to suggest names for the individual trains - see the item at https://www.hulltrains.co.uk/news/2019/hull-trains-reveals-name-of-new-fleet

Although last time the public had any say in naming something, it didn't go so well.

Fortunately the Swedes have already used that one!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Children will provide suitable ideas under supervision of attentive teachers. Richard Cranium ideas should then be eliminated. Not being a resident in the area of Hull I can not name any 'local' things as ideas other than Hull Pride perhaps?

Their claim to be the only rail company to name itself after the city it serves doesn't really stand up. Even if LNER is just an initialisation that doesn't actually stand for anything, London Northwestern Railway is named after one of the cities it serves.

I wonder what kind of names they're looking for.

Somebody said the HST was not revolutionary when it came in, that is was just existing technologies used in one train. The point is it benefited from the RTC research that allowed it to run 25% faster, on existing lines, without the need to alter the signal spacings. And it did it keeping the costs to BR the same so as to be able to run without extra costs to the customers. Just compare the times between wheel reprofiling of HST and the TGV. 

Then compare that to these 800 class trains, which appears to offer no benefits beyond the 225 other than longer coaches with more seats crammed in. At extra costs. With less luggage capacity. And harder seats.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

The HST is probably the best train EVER produced by the UK,  1975 to 2019 and many still in daily service. 

Brit15

Oooooh that's a great challenge but I understand what you are saying g

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

On 27/08/2019 at 11:17, lmsforever said:

A question for Royal Oak is there a marked difference between driving an HST and an 800 ie is the 800 a more relaxed drive etc and do you like the 800?

TBH lately I have noted there is very little difference between an 800 and an 802 despite the (supposed) extra power of the 802s.

The best test is climbing Hemerdon Bank as there is a 60mph restriction at the bottom and very little room to build speed before hitting the gradient, an 802 will get up to a maximum of about 72 before falling back to about 55 at the top (a HST would get up to about 75 and still be doing 65 near the top), I had a 9 coach 800 up there the other week (we dont get many 800s down here) and the speeds were with 1 or 2mph of what I would expect from a 9 coach 802 so either the 800s are running at the higher rating (very unlikely) or the 802s are not providing the full 700kW we are supposed to be getting.

They are okay to drive if a bit boring, until all the alarms start then they are bloody annoying although that has settled down of late.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I think that the HT's  'Fleet' should be named after historic Trawlers from Hull, e.g. St Dominic. There could be the ones that were lost, however that might be controversial and not appropriate, but then again may be appreciated if the dates were also included as a tribute to the lost Crew members?

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I think that the HT's  'Fleet' should be named after historic Trawlers from Hull, e.g. St Dominic. There could be the ones that were lost, however that might be controversial and not appropriate, but then again may be appreciated if the dates were also included as a tribute to the lost Crew members?

Dates and names of those lost in a plaque.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/08/2019 at 17:44, eastwestdivide said:

They could save money on individual plates by just calling them all "North of Potters Bar".

• Like 1
  • Funny 4