Class 800 - Updates

On our trip to Plymouth this week a 2x802 rake on a Penzance service turned up at Taunton with both sets the right way round but F-K were on the front unit, and A-E on the rear - very inconvenient if you anticipated coach C (on which our seat reservations were) would be on the front unit and positioned yourself accordingly...

Taunton does not have PIDs with the nice little diagram that says what the formation of the train is, and there were no indications from the public announcements that the train was mis-formed, apart from '...Standard class in Zones 1,2,3,6,7 and 8...'

Edited by talisman56
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/10/2019 at 14:10, Oldddudders said:

86B

And a very nice little shed it was too - 100% allocation of panniers at one time including a high percentage of steam brake only engines for very local work.  Hence a high percentage of cops when I visited it in early September 1962 (complete with a permit ;) ).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

And a very nice little shed it was too - 100% allocation of panniers at one time including a high percentage of steam brake only engines for very local work.  Hence a high percentage of cops when I visited it in early September 1962 (complete with a permit ;) ).

I went there in April 1963!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also high percentage of cops!!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Is that to do with the 'braking' problems that Drivers have reported I wonder, or just rail head conditions?

Might have missed their balls (2/3 pics)  :jester: http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/latest-input--news--old-pictures-etc/18th-march-2018

Edited by 25901
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Is that to do with the 'braking' problems that Drivers have reported I wonder, or just rail head conditions?

I am aware that the SW has had wet weather today, and no doubt Long Rock has an additional railhead effect from the adjacent briny, but I do hope that the train was being properly driven from the leading cab. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I am aware that the SW has had wet weather today, and no doubt Long Rock has an additional railhead effect from the adjacent briny, but I do hope that the train was being properly driven from the leading cab. 

It's a safe bet the train will have been driven from correct cab. However, apparently the dynamic brake is being reinstated gradually and this causes the brakes to suddenly release at low speed which Isn't exactly great, but I have a feeling it is only when running on electric, haven't come across one in diesel since this time last year when the dynamic brake was first isolated. Frankly it's a crap system and as a driver I HATE the momentary loss of braking power at low speed, especially if I am approaching a buffer stop! But let us not forget it has been wet and windy in the west today so may well be adhesion issues as opposed to driver error. Also I have heard it was018 not 010 though stand to be corrected.....

• Informative/Useful 3

41 minutes ago, 125_driver said:

It's a safe bet the train will have been driven from correct cab. However, apparently the dynamic brake is being reinstated gradually and this causes the brakes to suddenly release at low speed which Isn't exactly great, but I have a feeling it is only when running on electric, haven't come across one in diesel since this time last year when the dynamic brake was first isolated. Frankly it's a crap system and as a driver I HATE the momentary loss of braking power at low speed, especially if I am approaching a buffer stop! But let us not forget it has been wet and windy in the west today so may well be adhesion issues as opposed to driver error. Also I have heard it was018 not 010 though stand to be corrected.....

It is only on electric because its the 800s being done first and they dont have dynamic on diesel, when our 802s are done it will be used on both electric and diesel so we can look forward to the brake fade effect all the time.

As it was an 802 hitting the blocks it wouldnt have been that which was the issue, plus it the brake fade happens at about 10-15mph which I hope wouldnt be relevant in this case, the nose is nicely pushed in.

Edited by royaloak
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 125_driver said:

One of my Drivers managed to bring a brand new HST set into unintended contact with an extremely sold stop block in the carriage shed at Old Oak Common on its delivery trip to the depot.  After the initial 'sorry guv the wheels picked up' story he fortunately very rapidly admitted misjudging his stopping point which was in some respects understandable as there were no balls in the air to guide him and the lighting wasn't good on that particular road.  But it was a rather expensive job as the set had to go straight back to works for every vehicle to be lifted to check for any damage.

('Severe Reprimand' should anybody be interested)

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2019 at 19:38, Mallard60022 said:

I don't know if this was a "brake related issue" as discussed previously, or a misjudgement (distance) by the driver. Nor am I sure what time of day this incident occurred, but if it occurred during darkness, I guess GWR may want to do another risk assessment on the buffers. Although there is no mandatory requirement (yet?) for displaying red lights on buffers at depots, the absence of such at Long Rock may be a factor. Just viewed the photos on WNXX. The concrete block behind the buffer stop seems to have done its job, the damage to the 802 doesn't "look" too much in the photos and difficult to assess, but I think repairs will still be very expensive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, iands said:

I don't know if this was a "brake related issue" as discussed previously, or a misjudgement (distance) by the driver. Nor am I sure what time of day this incident occurred, but if it occurred during darkness, I guess GWR may want to do another risk assessment on the buffers. Although there is no mandatory requirement (yet?) for displaying red lights on buffers at depots, the absence of such at Long Rock may be a factor. Just viewed the photos on WNXX. The concrete block behind the buffer stop seems to have done its job, the damage to the 802 doesn't "look" too much in the photos and difficult to assess, but I think repairs will still be very expensive.

Bit of poly cement should do it...……………..

Ar$£