Class 800 - Updates

1 hour ago, hexagon789 said:

I've been wondering this for a while and this seems the place to ask - when on diesel mode how do the engines behave?

Is it like the Voyagers that the engines run at max revs with power supplied based on demand by the computer or is it like the HSTs that each power notch gives a certain engine RPM?

Hi,

A bit of both, as I understand it, the engine control is dynamic so it will start up and shut down engines as required and I think they rev up and down (based on what I've heard at Reading).

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

I've been wondering this for a while and this seems the place to ask - when on diesel mode how do the engines behave?

Is it like the Voyagers that the engines run at max revs with power supplied based on demand by the computer or is it like the HSTs that each power notch gives a certain engine RPM?

Each time I’ve seen them, they seem to behave (and sound) like a sprinter, idles in the platform, revs up and maintains the revs upto to desired speed. I can’t say I noticed any step changes to it, but it may be too subtle for me to have noticed it.

i noticed OHLE just suddenly kicks in at high speed whilst on the move, the engines then just begin to idle, I didn’t notice when they powered off but by Reading the engines were silent.

Edited by adb968008

4 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

A bit of both, as I understand it, the engine control is dynamic so it will start up and shut down engines as required and I think they rev up and down (based on what I've heard at Reading).

Simon

No it wont, once the engines are started they will run until being shut down by the driver, power is changed over or they become defective, normally either a 4000 or a 4001 fault but we do occasionally get others.

The only time some engines will be running and others not is if the driver has put them in 'turnaround' mode at stations which will shut down all but the 200 engine on a 5 car and the 200 and 800 engines on a 9 car.

Voyagers do not run at constant revs, they operate in the normal manner.

• Like 1

Due to this mornings disruption my Leeds to London Azuma is being diverted via York. I’ve just realised this means we’re running on diesel (obvs!)

As well as being a benefit of bi-modes I’m actually quite impressed by how quiet and smooth the ride is. I know we’re not going fast but I barely noticed we weren’t on electric 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, TomJ said:

Ok - so once we joined the ECML you could certainly tell once we were back on the juice. Suddenly went off like a rocket!!

Did your train actually go into York Station to reverse? 

We didn’t actually go as far as York - went via Hambleton and joined ECML just south of Selby. Slightly disconcerting when the London train left Leeds heading north!!

The line was flooded between Leeds and Doncaster. So one huge advantage of the bi-modes (and HSTs!). All the electric trains were cancelled 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

South Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire had a month's rain in one day yesterday. 

Motorways were awash,  never seen so much standing water. It has literally poured for more than 36 hours.

I know this is almost heresy on here but I find myself wishing for an Azuma! The HST is so rough, run down and the toilets so rank it really isn’t up to it anymore. No chance of doing any work or eating or drinking as it’s lurching from side to side

• Friendly/supportive 1

52 minutes ago, TomJ said:

I know this is almost heresy on here but I find myself wishing for an Azuma! The HST is so rough, run down and the toilets so rank it really isn’t up to it anymore. No chance of doing any work or eating or drinking as it’s lurching from side to side

Nice try but I fear this thread is lost for ever, now its the pacer, flooding and weather thread!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Back to the LNER's Azumas. Little niggles are undermining their introductory publicity on an otherwise OK train:

- On two out of three of my last journeys on them, the reservations weren't displayed: all red/green lights were off. Both on northbound services out of KX, and neither had a rushed turnround time at KX.

- Ride variable: yesterday's was a bit lumpy through the London suburbs, but beyond Hatfield it improved, although still nowhere near DB standard

- Two out of the last three catering trolleys had no hot water, even at the start of the journey.

- Yesterday's had the toilet paper dispenser flapping about in the breeze (as well as being overstuffed so that if you pulled from the bottom, you got shreds instead of sheets):

1555374605_Azumabogroll.jpg.70ba123ec992f5f559545fbcc580e731.jpg

Overall verdict: still "Meh"

Edited by eastwestdivide
trolley clarity
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, ColinK said:

And one has had a bump at Leeds today, looks like it hit the back of a HST. No injuries reported, damage to both trains.

LNER are now quoting a derailment at Neville Hill as causing problems until 18:30 with lots of cancellations due to stock being trapped in the depot. It seems there might be a little more to it than at first sight. (image from Twitter).

image.png.f8bd306803abac69d87d9c69ce1de213.png

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Richard E said:

LNER are now quoting a derailment at Neville Hill as causing problems until 18:30 with lots of cancellations due to stock being trapped in the depot. It seems there might be a little more to it than at first sight. (image from Twitter).

image.png.f8bd306803abac69d87d9c69ce1de213.png

That's not all..... look down length of train! (News clip screen shot)

Screenshot_20191114-125718_Gallery.jpg

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

That's not all..... look down length of train! (News clip screen shot)

Screenshot_20191114-125718_Gallery.jpg

Ouch! And it is reckoned it was a low speed shunt collision.

They reckon it has written off the HST power car, 43300.

image.png.3c6bb3a104d52ab563624616ce65b4b1.png

And looking at the 800:

image.png.84670271ed4f3bcac19df64cda2daff4.png

image.png.02c9e8221c5713c7d8f8e55eddfc3ee6.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Ouch! And it is reckoned it was a low speed shunt collision.

They reckon it has written off the HST power car, 43300.

image.png.3c6bb3a104d52ab563624616ce65b4b1.png

And looking at the 800:

image.png.84670271ed4f3bcac19df64cda2daff4.png

image.png.02c9e8221c5713c7d8f8e55eddfc3ee6.png

Bit of duck tape on hst and it would be good for 10 more years....azooooomer not zooming for a bit....poor staff involved lots of speculation of what happened, they will feel like s$%t today and very isolated...

same thing happens on micks deadmans lane fiddle yard at least a dozen times per show...!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

That is not a low speed impact. The extent of damage and the final positions of the Zoomer coaches suggest at least moderate energy levels were involved.  The HST power car would be written off anyway as they are about to retire. If necessary it can be replaced with another for a brief charmed life. 

At least no-one was hurt as both trains were e.c.s. But it might ultimately hurt someone’s career depending what the enquiry finds. 

• Agree 1