Class 800 - Updates

• RMweb Premium

BTW we were forbidden many years ago (in the late 1960s) not to use the terms 'signal failure' or 'track circuit failure' in any sort of current public announcement or notice because the terms had been used in relation to collisions and it was considered that passengers might think something dangerous was happening if they were told there was a 'signal etc failure'.

Yes - I've heard "track cicruit failure" and thought that it could be interpreted the wrong way - hence terms like "failure of lineside equipment", I presume.

I think "right side track circuit failure" might be a little too technical for use in announcements.

Paddington is going to be quite a boring place soon with basically just IETs, Electostars and HEX, with a passing stream of TfL S stock.

Going back to staffing, how does the intro of IET compare with HST? It all seemed much more seamless back in the heady days of 1976.

Didn't they say the same thing when steam finished, when the hydraulics finished, when the 50s finished etc?

Maybe it's a sign that we are getting older?

Edited by royaloak

1800 ex Paddington to Bristol is only 1 x 800 set tonight due to staff shortage... Stood in vestibule with 14 other people, already been stood on twice.

Bear with them.  Once all the 9 car 800/3s are delivered you will be OK. They cannae split them up !!! 

Could the issue of having a competent member of staff in both sets of a 10-car Class 800 be solved by the Guard always travelling in the rear set ? Then, should an accident occur, there will be the Driver in one set and the Guard in the other. Having to provide two Guards for a 10-car increases the cost of running such formations and is therefore an incentive to run 5-car only as much as possible, and will also result in 10-car trains running with only 5 cars in use, should a second Guard not be available for any reason, which is already happening as posted above. 

• Like 1

Could the issue of having a competent member of staff in both sets of a 10-car Class 800 be solved by the Guard always travelling in the rear set ? Then, should an accident occur, there will be the Driver in one set and the Guard in the other. Having to provide two Guards for a 10-car increases the cost of running such formations and is therefore an incentive to run 5-car only as much as possible, and will also result in 10-car trains running with only 5 cars in use, should a second Guard not be available for any reason, which is already happening as posted above. 

Thinking about this, given that there have been a number of door issues with the 800s (in particular it would seem, relating to the inter-unit coupling), is having a Guard in each set perhaps just a temporary measure so that there is always someone who can work the doors?

The Times today contains a letter from a disgruntled member of the public complaining about the dreadful seats in the new Great Western and Thameslink trains and wondering who’s to blame.

Should I tell them?

Too late: I couldn’t resist.

• Like 8

The Times today contains a letter from a disgruntled member of the public complaining about the dreadful seats in the new Great Western and Thameslink trains and wondering who’s to blame.

Should I tell them?

Sign of improvement then, normally they're complaining about the lack of seats.

I take it someone did explain you are supposed to crouch down on them, Japanese style, on your knees.

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm finding the 800 and 387 seats to be more and more comfortable.

Had an interesting meeting yesterday with the GWR Project Engineer and Train Fleet Manager for the 800s about APCO, they are quite pleased with them...

Simon

They were probably complaining about the 387 seats, which are the same as in the Thameslink trains. And are only marginally better than standing, and worse than sitting in the door way, Corbyn style.

As a not infrequent user of the 387s, I find the seats quite comfortable. I can't say the seats in the 700s were that bad either, having experienced a trip in one last year all the way from Farringdon to Bedford.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I find that the determining factor about seat comfort is not hardness but shape. I suppose I should add a disclaimer that I prefer firm seats, but if a seat is well designed it doesn't need to be super soft to be comfortable.

• RMweb Gold

Shape is probably more important. There are some un-padded plastic chairs which are really comfortable. 800s are firm but fine, but to me the 387 seats are reintroducing third class.

Apart from the hard cushion I find the 387 seats very comfortable with support in all the right places for my back.  Looks like sit's a sort of variant on horses for courses expressed more 'as seats for b*ms' perhaps?

The Sunday Times today has more on the issue of passengers complaining about the hard seats on the Thameslink and IET trains.

For Great Western there is a comparison with the ‘much-loved’ 1970’s trains.

The article even identifies the guilty party.......

• Like 1

And unlike the days of yore, when seats were designed by a draftsman in the carriage drawing office, modern day seats are designed by people who know a lot more about accommodating the human frame, to the extent that one can cope with its myriad variations. Then, there is the small matter of having to comply with much more stringent fire standards than used to be, which constrains the amount and types of padding that can be used.

Jim

• Like 1