Class 800 - Updates

First Class 800 at Newcastle? (No doubt someone can correct this if I've missed a test run or something!) NO IT ISN'T - see Post 3854 below

post-24907-0-40064600-1529745114_thumb.jpg

In LNER Azuma livery but with no identification marks as such, on a platform outside the Discovery Museum, Newcastle yesterday (22nd June).

Makes a startling contrast with Stephenson's 'Rocket' which is on display inside the building, on loan from the Science Museum in London, as part of the attractions for the 'Great Exhibition of the North' which runs until 9th September across Newcastle and Gateshead.

Trevor 

Edited to answer my own question - thanks to eastwestdivide for the information.

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 5

Having noticed the occasional 9-car IET on the Western recently, I see that they are running using the leading pantograph, which makes an interesting contrast with the WCML Pendolino sets, where it is always the trailing pantograph that is used. I understood the logic for that was that if there was a dewirement or other damage to the pantograph, at least the leading one, by virtue of being lowered and ahead of the damage, could remain usable.

Jim

Having noticed the occasional 9-car IET on the Western recently, I see that they are running using the leading pantograph, which makes an interesting contrast with the WCML Pendolino sets, where it is always the trailing pantograph that is used. I understood the logic for that was that if there was a dewirement or other damage to the pantograph, at least the leading one, by virtue of being lowered and ahead of the damage, could remain usable.

Jim

But the Western region/GWR always had to be different didnt they, maybe its just a continuation of that!

• Like 3

First Class 800 at Newcastle? (No doubt someone can correct this if I've missed a test run or something!)

They've already been through on test runs, in February even to Inverness (see http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Rail-News/new-intercity-express-train-reaches-inverness-depot-for-testing for example)

Jim

I had heard that the direction of the elbow had an impact on the dynamics of the pan/OLE interface, though I don't know if there reversed with respect to each other.

• RMweb Premium

I had heard that the direction of the elbow had an impact on the dynamics of the pan/OLE interface, though I don't know if there reversed with respect to each other.

Locomotives seem to manage with just one pantograph, don't they?

First Class 800 at Newcastle? (No doubt someone can correct this if I've missed a test run or something!) NO IT ISN'T - see Post 3854 below

attachicon.gif(IMG_2990a) Newcastle 22-6-18 (T.E.) .jpg

In LNER Azuma livery but with no identification marks as such, on a platform outside the Discovery Museum, Newcastle yesterday (22nd June).

Makes a startling contrast with Stephenson's 'Rocket' which is on display inside the building, on loan from the Science Museum in London, as part of the attractions for the 'Great Exhibition of the North' which runs until 9th September across Newcastle and Gateshead.

Trevor 

Edited to answer my own question - thanks to eastwestdivide for the information.

I was kind of hoping that the azuma name would go with VTEC.

• RMweb Premium

The 9-car 800/3s have started work on Bristol services, although they may be "Saturdays Only" at the moment.

800304 arrives at Chippenham with 1C08 0930 Paddington - Temple Meads

post-5204-0-31444000-1529779547_thumb.jpg

A few minutes later 800305 arrives with 1A13 1030 Temple Meads - Paddington.

post-5204-0-45795300-1529779565_thumb.jpg

I travelled on 305 to Didcot (for the Swindon Panel event) and made sure I travelled in a trailer. Whilst there was no change in noise when moving off, the air conditioning fan rumbling away more than compensated for engine/motor noise. For all the noise the coach was hot and stuffy. Even with 9-cars the service had a full seated load, with some standing. We didn't see the trolley, and the electronic reservations weren't working.

After a great day at Didcot Railway Centre I came home on 800031+800005 on 1C20 1530 Paddington to Weston-super-Mare, with no reservations indicated and no trolley. But at least the air-con was cooling the coach.

I think 800307 was also in service, but its bit of a distance from the main demonstration line platform to the Down Main at Didcot Parkway to be 100% sure.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Worst still, it's written larger and more boldly .......if the livery on that driving car is anything to go by.

Well, given that they seem to have covered over the windows, I hope that's not the livery they are planning on running them in.

Well, given that they seem to have covered over the windows, I hope that's not the livery they are planning on running them in.

Is it all the windows or just the blanked off windows in the galley area?

Well, the GREAT Western doesn't have any 'slow' lines, so they are sure to do things differently - Down main, Up main, down relief, up relief. Mustn't use the word 'slow'! (CJL)

I keep doing that (I am ex Southern) and Boy do they have a hissy fit about it!  :jester:

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

Those are not windows - that's the crew area and buffet behind there. (CJL)

I keep doing that (I am ex Southern) and Boy do they have a hissy fit about it!  :jester:

I should think so, too! Outrageous! (CJL)

• Like 2

Well, the GREAT Western doesn't have any 'slow' lines, so they are sure to do things differently - Down main, Up main, down relief, up relief. Mustn't use the word 'slow'! (CJL)

Being the GWR, "Slow" and "Slower" would be the accurate way to describe things... (Insert "this is clearly a joke" smiley here).