Class 800 - Updates

The issues on diesel power with the 800s are well documented, but their performance on 25kV can be, well, electric ! I travelled from Paddington on a 10-car formation this afternoon; We departed like a scalded cat and passed Slough in 11 minutes, Twyford in 17 and arrived at Reading in just under 21, nearly 5 minutes before booked departure time (and thanks to the excellent rebuild, operationally at least, of Reading station, didn't have to stand outside waiting to get into Platform 4). Given recent publicity about pollution, especially from diesels, surely the electrification projects will, eventually, have to be completed as planned, and then extended ?  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The issues on diesel power with the 800s are well documented, but their performance on 25kV can be, well, electric ! I travelled from Paddington on a 10-car formation this afternoon; We departed like a scalded cat and passed Slough in 11 minutes, Twyford in 17 and arrived at Reading in just under 21, nearly 5 minutes before booked departure time (and thanks to the excellent rebuild, operationally at least, of Reading station, didn't have to stand outside waiting to get into Platform 4). Given recent publicity about pollution, especially from diesels, surely the electrification projects will, eventually, have to be completed as planned, and then extended ?  

Now that sounds as if it is as fast as an HST could manage on a good day (when 22 minutes to the Reading stop was everyday fare).  17 minutes for the 31 miles to Twyford is impressive - has the start of the 125mph line speed been moved  towards Paddington I wonder (as was planned)?

Now that sounds as if it is as fast as an HST could manage on a good day (when 22 minutes to the Reading stop was everyday fare).  17 minutes for the 31 miles to Twyford is impressive - has the start of the 125mph line speed been moved  towards Paddington I wonder (as was planned)?

Was that in the days when HSTs could do 135 mph?

• RMweb Gold

Was that in the days when HSTs could do 135 mph?

They never could according to WR engineers as they were limited by governors to 132mph absolute maximum but that was later reduced to 128 mph I think.   When we planned the 'Top Of The Pops' record breaking run to Bristol the limited maximum speed was one of the problems we had to face and it was mitigated by improving acceleration through shortening the formation and also by waiving certain permanent restrictions of speed, particularly at Swindon, by rather novel means involving a train to shore radio link,  There were also special arrangements made to deal with a couple of signals which were underbraked as a result of shortening the formation.

22 minute start-to- stop Paddington - Reading was the booked working time for several years for some trains worked by HSTs and it was readily achievable with a little in hand, especially off the 'right' platform at Paddington.  But when real insistence on carrying out a running brake test was brought in plus certain speed restrictions being changed you could forget it and in any case the problems of congestion at Reading led anyway to an easing of timetabled times with even the nett running times being slightly inflated as well.  But an HST in good nick can still manage 22 minutes nowadays although such things are best not mentioned too loudly.

• Like 2

The last 2 days both the class 800s I have been on have been Diesel powered all the way to/from Pad, just been passed by another one also on diesel power between Reading and Didcot. Is there a problem with the GWR 800s on electric as have seen 387s so presume not infrastructure problem?

• RMweb Premium

The last 2 days both the class 800s I have been on have been Diesel powered all the way to/from Pad, just been passed by another one also on diesel power between Reading and Didcot. Is there a problem with the GWR 800s on electric as have seen 387s so presume not infrastructure problem?

There are a small number of 800s (both 5 car & 9 car type) that are in service with a ‘diesel only’ restriction. Apparently there is an even smaller number of drivers who are only passed on the 800 in diesel mode.

There are a small number of 800s (both 5 car & 9 car type) that are in service with a ‘diesel only’ restriction. Apparently there is an even smaller number of drivers who are only passed on the 800 in diesel mode.

Someone been pressing the change-over button too hard?  :jester:

Genuinely interested in the real reason however for diesel only.

• RMweb Premium

Someone been pressing the change-over button too hard?  :jester:

Genuinely interested in the real reason however for diesel only.

I don’t know but maybe not all for the same reason as some are diesel only when in multi with certain other units. I just see the list on the late notices.

(that bit about the drivers is genuine),

this suggestion was floated on another forum:

I'm told that until wires in Stoke Gifford depot are connected up, they're unable to conduct the routine pantograph tests that are required after a certain number of hours usage has been reached. I imagine this also applies to Swansea?

Hence, there's allegedly about half a dozen units with inoperable pans that, until they happen to be rostered into North Pole and can be checked, have to use the slow diesel engines all the time.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe (and it is only a maybe​) the lineside infrastructure isn't quite there yet - in terms of "immunisation" requirements. I note that on the ECML the Azumas are banned north of Colton, due to this very reason. Not a major problem for now as I understand that the Azumas will be operating on the Leeds-London Kings Cross route initially. But, if the infrastructure isn't sorted out in time, the Azumas will be on diesel on the York-Edinburgh section.

Regards, Ian.

Maybe (and it is only a maybe​) the lineside infrastructure isn't quite there yet - in terms of "immunisation" requirements. I note that on the ECML the Azumas are banned north of Colton, due to this very reason. Not a major problem for now as I understand that the Azumas will be operating on the Leeds-London Kings Cross route initially. But, if the infrastructure isn't sorted out in time, the Azumas will be on diesel on the York-Edinburgh section.

Regards, Ian.

As we understand it, that aren't any infrastructure issues on Western that would force IEPs to run in Diesel.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Maybe (and it is only a maybe​) the lineside infrastructure isn't quite there yet - in terms of "immunisation" requirements. I note that on the ECML the Azumas are banned north of Colton, due to this very reason. Not a major problem for now as I understand that the Azumas will be operating on the Leeds-London Kings Cross route initially. But, if the infrastructure isn't sorted out in time, the Azumas will be on diesel on the York-Edinburgh section.

Regards, Ian.

As Simon says, no infrastructure issues on the GWML, it is for the reasons stated in post #4057 & #4059. It’s been confirmed on another forum that amongst other minor issues, the inability to test pans at Stoke Gifford / Swansea is partly to blame for the situation.

NR have yet to start dynamic testing of the newly strung OLE west of Didcot, this may throw up some infrastructure issues, it may not. (Fingers crossed for when they start!)

Edited by Banger Blue

Much excitement at Eastleigh this morning as 800109 arrives on its way into the works. I gather it is there for some modifications and is scheduled to return on Saturday.

all the best

Godfrey

PS If I have time later I will add some more shots.

Dam, the secret trials to fit third rail shoes to the IEPs to solve the Steventon Problem have got out! :jester:  :jester: :jester:  (I'm joking by the way, although I have suggested it.... :punish: ) 

It now gives me an excuse to run my model on my proposed layout of Fareham!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

Returning from a day out on the West Somerset Railway I caught the 2026 from Taunton to Westbury which was 800304. This was my first time travelling on a Class 800. I was initially impressed but this soon changed as we increased speed. It was the worst ride I have encountered for many a year. Making my way down two basically empty coaches to the toilet, I was literally thrown from side to side and had to hold on to the seats to stop myself falling over. The worst stretch was between Taunton and Castle Cary. I dont know where the excessive movement came from.. was it track or unit? Has anyone else come across this problem? The wife also complained that the seats especially the backrests were too hard.

Must be a shortage of IET's again today, both the 05.30 from Bristol and 17:00 ex Paddington was HST's today. First time in ages I have been on an HST and while it is widely published how hard the IET seats are but in my opinion they really are not that much harder than an HST, I certainly notice the lack of legroom and harsher ride in an HST more....

Returning from a day out on the West Somerset Railway I caught the 2026 from Taunton to Westbury which was 800304. This was my first time travelling on a Class 800. I was initially impressed but this soon changed as we increased speed. It was the worst ride I have encountered for many a year. Making my way down two basically empty coaches to the toilet, I was literally thrown from side to side and had to hold on to the seats to stop myself falling over. The worst stretch was between Taunton and Castle Cary. I dont know where the excessive movement came from.. was it track or unit? Has anyone else come across this problem? The wife also complained that the seats especially the backrests were too hard.

Must be a shortage of IET's again today, both the 05.30 from Bristol and 17:00 ex Paddington was HST's today. First time in ages I have been on an HST and while it is widely published how hard the IET seats are but in my opinion they really are not that much harder than an HST, I certainly notice the lack of legroom and harsher ride in an HST more....

I have found the IEPs to be a much better ride than some HSTs and I still thinking the IEP is a massive improvement in terms of the general passenger environment.

I had my first ride on a class 802 yesterday and thought the engines were much quieter on the inside (we were on Diesel and I was sat in the centre of a powered vehicle) and much less vibration than on an 800.

Simon

They never could according to WR engineers as they were limited by governors to 132mph absolute maximum but that was later reduced to 128 mph I think.   When we planned the 'Top Of The Pops' record breaking run to Bristol the limited maximum speed was one of the problems we had to face and it was mitigated by improving acceleration through shortening the formation and also by waiving certain permanent restrictions of speed, particularly at Swindon, by rather novel means involving a train to shore radio link,  There were also special arrangements made to deal with a couple of signals which were underbraked as a result of shortening the formation.

22 minute start-to- stop Paddington - Reading was the booked working time for several years for some trains worked by HSTs and it was readily achievable with a little in hand, especially off the 'right' platform at Paddington.  But when real insistence on carrying out a running brake test was brought in plus certain speed restrictions being changed you could forget it and in any case the problems of congestion at Reading led anyway to an easing of timetabled times with even the nett running times being slightly inflated as well.  But an HST in good nick can still manage 22 minutes nowadays although such things are best not mentioned too loudly.

Very early on, some highly skilled timekeepers claim to have clocked them at over 135 mph, which was reported on at the time. 

• RMweb Gold

A few more of the shots I took at Eastleigh on Tuesday this week. It will be interesting to see if this is a one off trip by an 800 or whether it becomes a regular event. Makes me think that Hornby would be silly not to produce their model in the white livery.

Godfrey

post-138-0-64671000-1536174602_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-86054400-1536174619_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-44528100-1536174635_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-99767400-1536174660_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-30179100-1536174679_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-21422000-1536174692_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-04050100-1536174711_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-25307000-1536174731_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-05827000-1536174760_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A few more of the shots I took at Eastleigh on Tuesday this week. It will be interesting to see if this is a one off trip by an 800 or whether it becomes a regular event.

Godfrey

It’s been reported on the WNXX forum that to help Hitachi ‘catching up on delivery’...Hitachi has contracted some commissioning work for the LNER sets out to Eastleigh...This work involves post-factory quality snagging and livery application prior to acceptance running with the TOC. Contracting out the LNER set preparation will allow Hitachi at Doncaster Carr to continue to focus on the remaining GWR sets until those deliveries are completed.

On that basis it would seem reasonable to assume that further class 800 trips are likely over the coming weeks.

Edited by 4630

The B&H is a mess from Somerton Tunnel to Castle Cary, you could have a train with the best suspension in the World and it would still throw you around, the track and embankments are the problem not the train.

The B&H is a mess from Somerton Tunnel to Castle Cary, you could have a train with the best suspension in the World and it would still throw you around, the track and embankments are the problem not the train.

Add the North Cots line to that, every day there seems to be a safety inspection of a bump or kink reported. And Charfield area has cropped up a number of times lately too.

I travel on IETs every day and find them very pleasant to ride on. Yes the seats are hard but as Simon says a huge improvement over an HST, especially the legroom which matters at 6' 3". I had an HST from Swindon to Reading last week and the ride quality was just as you describe it for an IET as above! IETs are much smoother, certainly the one I'm on now is.

Edited by SouthernMafia
  • Like 1