Manchester Airport was until recently ( maybe still is ? ) an obstacle course for its customers.....sometimes called passengers .....driving and parking “on airport “ due to the “upgrading “ of its road network.At the moment,it seems for us to be the one of choice,mainly because our travels are with a group who live mainly in the Liverpool/ North West area.Be that as it may,travel by rail there is out of the question,even though it has airport rail facilities.The rail journey would involve two changes,would take too long and is unsuitable in terms of luggage carrying..Odd when you consider we’re only about 60 miles from the airport.Thus it’ s pre book overnight hotel if it’s a morning flight and park at whichever terminal on airport car park nearest to the flight, always taking a photo with the iPhone as an essential aide memoir to the vehicle position on return.

We have used internal UK flights too.Easier and cheaper to fly EMA to Edinburgh than XC and your luggage is more secure stowed away.....though we have twice had bags go astray but not in the UK.

There are occasions when you have little option but to use the train for overnight stays.London is one destination and later this month we’re going to Bath for a couple of nights and that’s a city where it’s inadvisable to take your car if at all possible. So quite possibly we’ll sample the seating and luggage “facilities “ of a GWR Azuma between Temple Meads and Bath.

• Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, CloggyDog said:

If you mean the 8 ex-GatEx Class 460 'Darth Vader' EMUs, they've all been converted to 458 cars - the 30 existing 458s all strengthened to 5-car and most of the remaining 460s cars converted/reformed into 6 additional 458 5 car sets (identifiable by the 'ribbon' glazing on all cars). That left half-a-dozen cars which were stripped for spares and scrapped.

Shows how up to date with 'modern stuff' I am!!!

When the current franchise and non-franchise using the 800 series sets come  up for rebidding is any TOC going to want to take them on? There are enough other current disincentives to bidding for franchises without unsuitable stock. We have already seen one major player withdraw.

Jonathan

• Informative/Useful 1

Amusingly our local branch user group (BUG) has a session next week with a person from NR and GWR's 'Head of Complaints' (or whatever her official title is).  Having checked her CV out on Linked In she appears not too have any previous railway experience (or any she is bold enough to mention)  so it could well be rather amusing asking her about getting GWR's IETs the right way round and discussing the seats on them and 387s.  All I need to do then is chuck in questions about catering trolleys plus luggage space and we'll be in for a grand evening :jester:

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My friends (and others), I have some good news about the LNER 800s. I saw one yesterday, it was working and it was very shiny as it raced up towards wherever, non stop through 36E. CBA to see if it was service or ECS. I did not get the number as I was half asleep.

Ar$£

• Funny 1