Class 800 - Updates

17 minutes ago, Banger Blue said:

IET is only the name given to the GWR 80x units by GWR themselves, likewise ‘Azuma’ was Virgin’s choice of name for the ECML 80x trains.

There are differences between the DfTs IEP derived trains of classes 800 & 801, let’s call them IET as it seems commonly used, and the open market AT300 trains of classes 802, 803 & 804 and so far, the TOCs and RSL have opted to maintain clear differentiation in class numbers between the IEP and AT300 fleets.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Banger Blue said:

IET is only the name given to the GWR 80x units by GWR themselves, likewise ‘Azuma’ was Virgin’s choice of name for the ECML 80x trains.

I got a public ticking off on Twitter, from @GWRhelp, for putting up a photo of a pair of 80x's at Padd, and calling them Azumas!

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

To which the ideal riposte might have been - 'because they were the right way round I got confused, sorry ;) '

Wish my thought processes were that quick!

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

Another win for the Dawlish sea wall, 1A81 today's casualty, the sea successfully killing off all GUs in the set. 1C75 terminated at Exeter to rescue. Oh dear.

What are "GUs" please?

On 30/12/2019 at 14:41, black and decker boy said:

There are differences between the DfTs IEP derived trains of classes 800 & 801, let’s call them IET as it seems commonly used, and the open market AT300 trains of classes 802, 803 & 804 and so far, the TOCs and RSL have opted to maintain clear differentiation in class numbers between the IEP and AT300 fleets.

There are differences between all the 80x classes, they are ALL members of the AT300 family.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, s182ggu said:

What are "GUs" please?

Generating Units, or in old money engines, they call them Generating Units as the raft contains the complete engine, alternator and radiator packs so it does make sense although reporting a GU fault isnt as much use as reporting an engine or alternator related fault.

The intermediate coaches on a 5 car 802 are MeS, Motor engine Standard or MeC Motor engine Composite, but we are not allowed to call them engines.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 minutes ago, royaloak said:

Generating Units, or in old money engines, they call them Generating Units as the raft contains the complete engine, alternator and radiator packs so it does make sense although reporting a GU fault isnt as much use as reporting an engine or alternator related fault.

The intermediate coaches on a 5 car 802 are MeS, Motor engine Standard or MeC Motor engine Composite, but we are not allowed to call them engines.

Thanks Gents.

If they're not allowed to be called 'engines', shouldn't the 5 car 802 intermediate coaches then be referred to as "MguS" and "MguC"?

I guess this is all following the same re-arrangement of the English language as "Railway Stations" now becoming known as "Train Stations"!

No - I really shouldn't go there...……..Hat, Coat, Gone!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, s182ggu said:

No - I really shouldn't go there...……..Hat, Coat, Gone!!

Axe in hand, running* after you as fast as I can!!

* using the term loosely because after tearing my medial hamstring muscle its more of a slow walk at the moment.

Edited by royaloak
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 minutes ago, royaloak said:

Axe in hand, running* after you as fast as I can!!

* using the term loosely because after tearing my medial hamstring muscle its more of a slow walk at the moment.

My sympathies re. the hamstring and I wish you well for a speedy recovery.

However, as you have the axe, I'm glad I'm out in front!!

Best Wishes 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I believe the sea over the wall today broke windows on a train, injuring passengers.

The danger of wave-borne debris damaging trains is one reason why, in the event of severe winds coinciding with high tide, trains services through Saltcoats are withdrawn on a planned basis. Of course there are differences, the line at Saltcoats is electrified so there is a greater risk of trains being stranded, and it is not a major trunk route like that at Dalwish. but perhaps procedures will be reviewed after this incident ?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, royaloak said:

In traditional EMu notation, M represents a vehicle with a motor, whereas on a DMu it would indicate a diesel engine..

If I'm understanding your description correctly, "M" denotes the electric motor, as in any EMu, but the hybrid nature of these trains means the diesel generator set requires a different initial. "e" for engine seems the obvious one to use and the "company line" of not using the word seems a bit daft. Maybe "G" for generator might be more acceptable. Then again, being of a certain age, "MGC" wouldn't fill me with confidence. :jester:

John

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

In traditional EMu notation, M represents a vehicle with a motor, whereas on a DMu it would indicate a diesel engine..

If I'm understanding your description correctly, "M" denotes the electric motor, as in any EMu, but the hybrid nature of these trains means the diesel generator set requires a different initial. "e" for engine seems the obvious one to use and the "company line" of not using the word seems a bit daft. Maybe "G" for generator might be more acceptable. Then again, being of a certain age, "MGC" wouldn't fill me with confidence. :jester:

John

Yes, obviously the M in EMU means multiple, but in the individual coach notation M would indicate the Motor Coach, ie MSO is Motor Standard Open, DTSO is Driving Trailer Standard Open, etc.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I believe the sea over the wall today broke windows on a train, injuring passengers.

One passenger reported injured as sea-borne debris took out a Pacer window.  

Not only at Dawlish but farther west there were delays in and out of Penzance earlier due to high seas breaking over the line.  The Marrows have not escaped unscathed as one was reported a total failure with alleged sea-water ingress to its vital bits.  

HSTs cannot run in dangerous conditions but at least they have double-glazing and have a history of surviving the ravages of exposed coastal lines.  

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Another win for the Dawlish sea wall, 1A81 today's casualty, the sea successfully killing off all GUs in the set. 1C75 terminated at Exeter to rescue. Oh dear.

So much for them being 'Dawlish proof' as promised...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, s182ggu said:

What are "GUs" please?

6 hours ago, royaloak said:

These are our pet Degus (sort of rodent), commonly abbreviated to 'gu'. I now have a mental image of GWR trains being propelled by small furry creatures! To be fair, they wouldn't like being overwhelmed by seawater either...

IMG_20190918_192401.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 6