3D scanning Rapido's latest UK prototype...

rapidotrains

Hi all,

The 3D brigade was out in full force this week, performing a scan of our latest not-yet-announced British outline OO gauge model.

Clues:

1. The scan was performed at a location north of Southampton. Maybe very north of Southampton. Definitely south of Wick.

2. The prototype rides on wheels, not skis.

3. The prototype was or is very widely used and not restricted to one region.

4. The prototype has been done before in plastic, but not in a very, very long time.

5. It will be a powered model.

6. It doesn't tilt. Oh no it doesn't!

We plan to have first test samples at the Warley show, provided that they are kind enough to give us a booth.  

-Jason

post-20909-0-40613600-1420646678_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

The 3D brigade was out in full force this week, performing a scan of our latest not-yet-announced British outline OO gauge model.

Clues:

1. The scan was performed at a location north of Southampton. Maybe very north of Southampton. Definitely south of Wick.

2. The prototype rides on wheels, not skis.

3. The prototype was or is very widely used and not restricted to one region.

4. The prototype has been done before in plastic, but not in a very, very long time.

5. It will be a powered model.

6. It doesn't tilt. Oh no it doesn't!

We plan to have first test samples at the Warley show, provided that they are kind enough to give us a booth.  

-Jason

Rules out another Class 71 then...

well based on that criteria it could be almost anything!  I assume its modern classic or modern image......don't think RT are into kettles.

we can rules out a few classes though - 82, 83, 84 electrics for starters as they haven't been done before in plastic.   I think Lilliput might have done the 81 or 82 in metal or was it resin?

could do with all new tooling then that's already been done from 10 or 20 years ago?

I doubt RT will go down the class 87 route as I firmly believe this will aready now be on Bachmanns radar as a follow up to the new 90.

so it will be powered..........so no coaches or wagons in the general sense then.

widely used?  different regions?  diesel then?  lots of froth.........   

I wish, but I do not think it has ever been done in plastc.

My guess would be a class 81.

edited - but i guess that breaks rule 3 - multi region.

Midland and Scottish (Weren't the 81s allocated to Glasgow in their final years?)

Rules out another Class 71 then...

Actually we're bringing out two different models of the Class 71 - one in margarine and one in soap - so there will now be FOUR competing models for the same 11.5 guys who want one.

Our next project after that is an LSWR Adams Radial 4-4-2T, carved by a team of Canadian beavers from disused LSWR sleepers dug up from beneath a road in Midhurst (West Sussex) so it's MORE AUTHENTIC than the two or three other models announced to date.

After that we're looking at making 10000 and 10001 out of Kleenex.

-Jason

• RMweb Gold

Ooh eer missus that silhouette looks familiar...but no buffers. Looks a bit electrickery to me.

Done in plastic? Not in my knowledge, but perhaps BR had a model one?

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Neil

The cabs are in fibreglass. . . . . . does that count ?

Surely someone on here can figure it out by the tiny bit of frame / bogie showing ;)

Don't see any evidence of a screw link coupling.... surely it's a unit?

It's a Blue Pullman. . . . oh hang on we've been here before. . .

• RMweb Gold

If the photo is of one then it's probably still running now as that shot is within last 20 years or so (dimpled flags on platform). The sillouette face looks 321 and that was produced in plastic by Brachtell. It would allow 320/321/322 and 456 to be done, 2, 3 or 4 car and covers every region outside of Wales. I'll have several if I'm right (Strathclyde orange, NSE and wypte red to start with).

It could also be a Western, the 3 or 4 previous attempts seem about due for superseding!!

Closest I can think of based off the hints is a class 08... If done in plastic a very long time ago is to be taken as being part of the old Rosebud Kitmaster range that was never reissued and Gronks are certainly widespread!

The biggest clue we have been given is that it is an old prototype and importantly it still exists, so we can discount alot of the early BR diesels yet to be modelled.

Archived